Start by marking “Nice Dreads: Hair Care Basics and Inspiration for Colored Girls Who've Considered Locking Their Hair” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Have you always admired women with flowing hair? Do you long for a wash-and-go style? In Nice Dreads, Lonnice Brittenum Bonner, the author of the classic Good Hair, shares her secrets and personal stories about dreadlocks—from cultivating buds to keeping those locks looking their best!

Perfect for women who want dreadlocks but aren’t sure how to start, or for those who’ve a
Published February 22nd 2005 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Nice Dreads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Dreads

Dr. E
info was partially useful in regards to starting and maintaining locs. however, the author writes in the tone of a hair elitist, heterosexist, and classist that limits the journey of locing and locs to a superficial process that does not delve very deeply into the healing of locing natural hair other than the feeling of having loced hair that is "presentable" to mainstream society and "hair that grows long". for some women, this may be all they need, but for the larger diaspora of black womyn fr ...more
Charmaine Davis
I have dreads myself and loved this book. "Nice Dreads" is not only a how-to, but a comedy piece all on its own. I found myself laughing and nodding my head because I related to a lot of her stories. Don't be in the dark about dread-lock care, let Bonner school ya!
Very basic, quick read about maintaining dreadlocks. A good introduction for someone cconsidering locking or who is just starting to lock.
Laquita Bridges
Lots of information on how to do and keep up your dreads. Also she has lots of personal advice with her experiece with dreads.
I felt more informed and prepared to speak to a natural hair professional after reading this book.
Straightforward and conversational book about the start, care, and maintenance of locks.
I have dreadlocks but she doesn't really go into detail regarding the latching technique. I wasn't sure whether they were different from palm locs, in terms of taking care of them. Lonnice does give good tips regarding keeping your hair healthy, shiny and tidy. There were a few things that I learned about locs that my own loctician didn't tell me. I read this book within 24 hours, a very easy read.
Well written book that helped me when I started locking my hair in 2001, WAY before the blogs and other books and youtube videos.
Jul 21, 2007 Chanel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with dreds
Good basic information to care for your hair and keep it healthy.
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Gen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Keka marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Tressa marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kanika Cotton
Kanika Cotton marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Megan Stewart
Megan Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Kori Walker
Kori Walker marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Shelly-ann marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
L is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves When the Chemicals Became Too Ruff Plaited Glory: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Braids, Locks, and Twists Kitchen Beautician, The : For Colored Girls Who've Dissed the Beauty Standard When It Became Too Ruff Nice Dreads