Start by marking “Suho and the White Horse” as Want to Read:
Suho and the White Horse

Suho and the White Horse

Relates how the tragic parting of a boy and his horse led to the creation of the horse-head fiddle of the Mongolian shepherds.
Published May 11th 1981 by Viking Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Suho and the White Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suho and the White Horse

Dec 10, 2007 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: childhood-reads
Somebody got me this book when I was 9 or 10. At that point, it was always a good bet that you could buy me anything with a horse in it and I would be happy. Except that in this particular book, the horse dies. Horribly. Riddled with arrows. Sorry to give away a major plot point, but it scarred me. The book was banished, but it haunts me to this day.
Yasmin
Nov 15, 2013 Yasmin rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about a white horse in Mongolia and a little boy that looks after him. Recommended not only for children but for anybody.
Ronyell
I have actually heard of this story through “Weston Woods” and I have thoroughly enjoyed this book ever since! “Suho and the White Horse” is a Mongolian folktale by Yuzo Otsuka along with illustrations by Suekichi Akaba and it is about how a young boy named Suho who finds a true friend in his white horse and the adventures they have together. “Suho and the White Horse” is a truly memorable book about true friendship that every child will love for many years!

To be honest, this was the first Mongo
Rena Sherwood
This is a hard book to gt through the first time around but then it just grows in your mind so that you can't help but keep thinking of it until you have to find a copy and read it again or at least find something about horsehead fiddles.

("No, Rena -- just you.")

description

I wouldn't read this to a small child to try and get it to sleep. You need to have a few years on you in order to get the impact without dissolving into screaming anxiety attacks. Yes, it teaches that life sucks. However, life really DOE
Katie
Aug 31, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is an ancient Mongolian folktale about a shepherd boy who finds and raises a white horse. I think that it is a beautiful story. With that being said, I was a little sorry that I read this to my kids without reading it first because the ending is quite sad. The theme of the story is that beauty can come from sorrow, but small children only understand the sorrow part. I had to do a lot of explaining at the end of this story- so, all in all, I like it but it is better reserved for a 3rd g ...more
Gabriela
Nov 21, 2013 Gabriela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the stories from my childhood that has chased me in my dreams and adult life. It had a deep impact on me. Wonderful story about the bond between two beings that continue even after life. In fact is very similar to the Red violin movie.I would recommend it to anyone.
Margie
Aug 23, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This re-publication of Suho and the White Horse is beautifully rendered. Step back in time on the steppes of Mongolia, discover the story behind the horse-head fiddle and experience the devotion between a young man and his horse.
My full review:
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great story about the love of a boy and his horse that takes place in ancient Mongolia and explains the history behind a Mongolian stringed instrument with a carving of a horses head. Nice illustrations of the steppes and Mongolian yurts, or gers.
Cherisse
MP3 audiobook version, so no artwork except the cover. (J 398.2 O)

4/15/12 - read hardcover edition to view illustrations (watercolors?)--the illustrations do add to the overall story.

The artist won an award for his other work.
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Megs
Megs rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Hanna
Hanna rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2017
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2009
Yoshihisa Okada
Yoshihisa Okada rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2017
Amy Lafleur
Amy Lafleur rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Ru Kunkel
Ru Kunkel rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Baila
Baila rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Sibylla Benatova
Sibylla Benatova rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Opie890733
Opie890733 rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2017
Julia Reese
Julia Reese rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Szneco
Szneco rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Carisa
Carisa rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2009
L11-Mary Utterback
L11-Mary Utterback rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2017
Eileen English kaarsemaker
Eileen English kaarsemaker rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014