Waiting for White Horses

Waiting for White Horses

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Waiting for White Horses,set in the tall pines of northern Minnesota's spectacular lake country, is a story of trusted friendship, loss and redemption, love, and rediscovery.

The enduring friendship between Grant and Will is all that sustains Grant through a series of painful losses as the seasons pass. When Grant finds love in the arms of a beautiful woman it seems that ha

Published December 19th 2003 by Flat Rock Publishing

B.
Apr 09, 2008 B. rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Romance novel reading ex-jocks
I got this horrific piece of crap from my mother, who loved it, as did my sis. Set in northern MN, where I grew up in Bemidji, it is essentially a romance novel for men. All of the characters are craggily handsome, if male, and timelessly beautiful, if female.
Two best friends, who seem to have some repressed erotic longing for each other, duck hunt, talk emotionally and tenderly about their feelings, love madly their spouse, in one case, and long brokenheartedly for their dead wife in the other...more
Gayle
My husband and I have both read this book. It's about love, grief, self-awareness, and family relationships. Maybe the best part, the part that appealed to my husband, was the fact that the main character is a man. Jorgenson did a wondeful job meeting men where they are (according to my husband).

Done with reading this for the second time. I really liked it both times. I'll be interested to hear how our book club members like it. To me, Jorgenson provided me (a woman) an intimate perspective of...more
Elizabeth
Emotionally draining but exquisitely moving story of a middle aged man as he faces and handles the deaths of three people close to him in a short time. Tempted to withdraw fro life and love (and he does for several months), he finally draws up the courage and hope to live and love again. Very realistic. Powerful backdrop of duck-hunting and sportsmanship and the beautiful Minnesota lake country.

Very moving portrayal of the father-son relationship as the father's physical health fades and he nee...more
Pastormike
I almost never give up on a book, but this one was so insipidly cliche' with regard to everyone being good looking, handsome, or beautiful. Barf. Even the one protagonist who "limps," so to speak, is still described as being drop-dead gorgeous.
Jane
Don't waste a minute of your life on this book! I read it for a local book club and found it repetitive, unnecessarily crude, poorly edited--and I hated the protagonist and his friends. Yuck. A tremendous waste of time in 492 pages.
Audrey
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I laughed out loud, I cried, I felt like I really knew the characters by the final page...It was hard to get started as it felt like more of a guy read, but once I got going, it was hard to put it down.
Susieq
Aug 15, 2007 Susieq rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: goodones
This really is one of my favorite books. It is funny and touching and interesting. The characters are so vivid and lovely. Not to mention, I'm a native Minnesotan so I like to see local talent do well.
Amanda
Aug 24, 2008 Amanda added it
Recommended to Amanda by: Stolen from B's shelf.

Thanks, Brian. Because now I NEVER EVER have to read this book.
Erika
My next Book Club book.... MN theme, and a love story. Hmmmm.....
Marcia
Well, this was an interesting novel. It took about the first 100+ pages to get into it. As a woman reading a hunting/fishing guy novel, it took a little bit for the characters to get developed. Once I got into it, the book developed a little more substance. The topics of grief, loss, elderly parents and the impact of how you handle our emotions all got woven into the story. While I believe this book should be properly classified as a romance novel for men, it was a great story about life "up nor...more
Robert Strandquist
This tale’s northern MN setting attracts male readers who know about duck hunting, hockey, dogs, friendship and romance. Jorgenson’s not only from ‘up north’ (it’s set in Walker) but is a Concordia grad, for goodness sakes. He’s not a major MN author but with three novels still selling, he’s supplementing his dental practice income – which is the occupation of Grant, the central character. For me, the most compelling aspect of the novel is his portrayal of nature’s influence on a man’s character...more
Deborah
Read this book a long time ago and if I remember right it was a very good book..
Joel Kamholz
2nd jorgenson book. did not like it as well as the mulligan
Christina
Slow start . . . Picks up at about page 162. Realistic life story of two Minnesota men and the trials and tribulations of life, love, and death. I cried more than I laughed, but the experience was well worth it. This book taught me that the emotion that comes with loving and losing is what makes you know you are alive. Simply put, to love is to live. Hold your loved ones a bit closer and make sure they know just exactly how much you love them.

P.S. Has anyone out there seen the movie, Jeremiah J...more
Samantha
A pretty good book. It seems as though it has a pretty narrow audience, though. It's rather like chic-lit - very relationship centered and I can't see too many guys really enjoying it. I liked the chic-lit mixed with northern Minnesota hunting and fishing, though. I did have to force myself past the opening pages, though, as it seems as though the author doesn't actually duck hunt himself and there were some weird things going on. Ah well.
Karen
Overall this was a great story of life and relationships. The grief and sorrows we all go through and one man's coming to terms with all that life reflects.

I could give it 4 stars but it is hard for me to do that as the dialogue is uncharacteristic of any men I know and I wonder if it is more common to speak this way in the world of hunters or is it just my affinity to more literature that is Inspirational and clean so to speak.

Cara
This book has been passed from mom to dad to brother-in-law to sister to friends with only good things to say about it. My outdoorsy husband loved how well the author described the beauty of being in the open air, hunting. The book made me both laugh out loud and cry. Some criticize it for being too sentimental but I found it heartwarming.
Monica

Pretty bad. The author is a friend of my brother in law and I'd heard great things about this book. I made it all the way to page 188 before I decided to quit, ever hoping it would get better. Too much dialog between the guys and their 'feelings' as well as too many in depth narrating of duck hunts. Bleh!
Renee
May 10, 2010 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Renee by: Andy Hedstrom
I would give this 20 stars if I could! Such a good read! Thanks Nate! I loved the relationship developments, the joys and sorrows that come with those developments. Nathan writes what he knows - duck hunting, good friendships, the love of a strong intelligent woman and the companionship of a great dog.
Denita
Excellent book, loved every minute of it. Being a true Minnesotan, fishing, hunting, etc..., I could totally relate to the author's references of Minnesota. It was hard to put down, couldn't wait to get through it and on to the next one. Worth every minute and every penny.
Rachel
I wasn't sure about this when I started reading it. My parents RAVED about it. But is started out with alot of hunting stuff:( IT WAS FABULOUS!!!! Such a good story about love, loss, and friendship. I cried my eyes out multiple times!
Clare
The woman who lasers my bikini line recommended this book to me, but reading this book was like getting zapped in my brain instead. read my full review here: http://bookreviewsbyclare.blogspot.co...
Anissa
Feb 14, 2008 Anissa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Women and Men over 30
Recommended to Anissa by: Community Read
This book started slow for me, but I am glad I stuck with it. Like all good books, I became wrapped up in the characters and wanted to know what was going to happen to them. I didn't want to like this book, but I do.
Patsy
A MN author's 1st book. About a man in the north woods w/ties to the President and Washington DC - with a best friend and a new love in his life. Great duck hunting stories. Definitely a man's perspective into relationships.
Tom
This was a good story. It caused me to alternate between tears and laughter througout the entire story. When I put it down, I couldn't wait to pick it back up and catch up with the characters.
Pamela
I liked the distinction between loving someone and being in love with them. There are probably many people we could marry and be content with, but only a few that give us the spark in our stomach.
Lisa
I really liked this book - set in Northern, MN in the Leech Lake area. Very touching w/ a good message. Would recommend to people who enjoy the outdoors.
Tena Hanson
Beautiful story...rarely has one book made me laugh and cry this much. Husbands and wives read it together...it's a good recommendation for anyone.
Mishell
Jun 12, 2008 Mishell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mishell by: My Aunt - author is distant relative
Book started really slow - but don't give up! Lovely story -writing gets much better toward the end. Very thoughtful book.
Dave
Loved the book! Hard to believe it's his first book. Well written with lots of attention to emotions of life and death.
The Mulligan A Crooked Number