Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)

Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,607 ratings  ·  232 reviews
Amanda Grange continues her series of much-loved Jane Austen retellings with "Captain Wentworth's Diary". It is 1806, and the Napoleonic wars are ravaging Europe. Frederick Wentworth, a brilliant young man with a flourishing career in the navy, is spending his shore leave in Somerset, where he meets and falls in love with Anne Elliot. The two become engaged, but Anne's god...more
Published June 30th 2007 by Robert Hale Ltd

Austenland by Shannon HaleAn Assembly Such as This by Pamela AidanBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThese Three Remain by Pamela AidanDuty and Desire by Pamela Aidan
Best Jane Austen Fan Fiction
16th out of 304 books — 613 voters
An Assembly Such as This by Pamela AidanThese Three Remain by Pamela AidanDuty and Desire by Pamela AidanImpulse and Initiative by Abigail ReynoldsAustenland by Shannon Hale
Jane Austen Sequels and Pastiches
10th out of 234 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
Out of all the heros of Jane Austen's books, I would have to say I like Captain Wentworth the best. Amanda Grange wrote a believable diary of the Captain.

I know many Austen fans may shun me but I think I like Captain Wentworth even better than Mr. Darcy. He came from nothing and made himself into a great man never forgetting who he was and the value of all people and love. You can not say as much of Mr. Darcy. Although I do esteem him highly. Despite the fact these are all fictional characters....more
Hallie
I knew this was a risk, and it might have paid off a little better had I just been determined enough to skip the first section altogether, once I found it wasn't going well. Instead, I skipped to the second part (which pretty much starts where Persuasion does), read and enjoyed that, and then went back to the beginning. Even though the author doesn't stick closely enough to the original in every particular to suit me, the need to fit what she's writing in with actual dialogue does keep Wentworth...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
If you are a fan of Jane Austen and Persuasion (Oxford World's Classics) I am sure you have wondered about how Captain Wentworth and Anne met, how they fell in love, what happened eight years ago and how does what happened eight years ago affect them later on. I have read Persuasion by Jane Austen and I admire it very much, but I have always felt unsatisfied not knowing how the story began. Of course we may never know what Jane Austen had in mind for Wentworth and Anne, but Amanda Grange makes a...more
Fluffychick
I read Darcy's Diary by the same author last year and thought it was "okay". I think this one works better for a couple of reasons, but my grumble is it's written in diary form, but there is a vast amount of direct speech used throughout, particularly in the latter half. A lot of this is lifted straight from the original, and lets face it, if you're reading this you'll probably be pretty familiar with the original text anyway. No-one writes a diary using direct speech, so maybe it needs a differ...more
Ana T.
Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen book so it was with high expectations that I started this story, supposedly Captain's Wentworth's version of the events. The first chapters of the book report Wentworth and Anne's meeting 8 years before Persuasion starts and so come solely out of Amanda Grange's imagination. When they meet Wentworth, at first, mistakes her for a maid and asks her for a dance to save her from the arrogant Miss Elliott. The story proceeds as the two meet at several social fun...more
Stacey
This is a wonderful read. Over the first half of the book, Grange makes a very believable impression of how Wentworth and Anne met and fell in love. He is the adventurous charmer, and she positively blooms under his attention. His pursuit of her is quite lovely.
Eight years later he returns to Uppercross, thinking he'd forgotten about the woman he once loved. You know the rest... and reading it from his point of view will make you love "Persuasion" even more.
I personally enjoyed this diary bett...more
Anne
And I am now officially hooked on Amanda Grange's Austen heroes diaries!!! Captain Wentworth's Diary was wonderful! I enjoyed reading the story through his point of view so much, especially as he had always appeared to me as one of the most enigmatic and intriguing Austen heroes. Now after this lovely novel by Amanda Grange, I feel like I know Wentworth and I understand him much more. Grange remained true to the original Persuasion, but she also recounted Anne and Wentworth's first meetings, fal...more
Maria
Have you ever wondered how Captain Wentworth and Anne Elliot met and fell in love? What exactly happened eight years before the events every Janeites know better than anyone? In this diary by Amanda Grange you will find all the answers to your questions about “Persuasion”. This is the story told by Frederick Wentworth’s point of view, a touching and romantic book that will enthrall you all from the first page until the end.

I had been wanting to read this book for a long time. I had it on my Kind...more
Samantha
A most diverting novel in which I get to spend time with my second favorite Austen man, Captain Wentworth. Persuasion is my second favorite Austen novel and Grange has allowed me to bask in the heartache of loved denied for eight years. Other than being a rewrite of Austen, nothing terribly original, but like I said, extremely diverting. If nothing else, she gets credit for paying attention to an Austen novel other than Pride and Prejudice, as every other Austen genre novel seems to do.
Andrea
Just because you're a Jane Austen fan doesn't mean you should steal her beloved characters and turn them into prattling idiots that actually belong on the pages of a Harlequin paperback.
J
don't judge. persuasion is my favorite book, and it was on sale. didn't come close to austen, but it was interesting.
Georgiana 1792
Mi è piaciuto molto il Captain Wentworth di Amanda Grange, forse perché è molto simile al personaggio di Jane Austen. Nonostante in questo Diario la Grange avesse la possibilità di spaziare di più, perché la Austen ci da solo piccoli accenni agli eventi dell'"anno sei", e quindi al primo fidanzamento fra Wentworth ed Anne Elliot, non ha esagerato, anzi, è rimasta molto in stile Austeniano, con picnic sulle colline e sciarade (in puro stile 'Emma') ed un Capitano sicuro si sé, quasi spavaldo, che...more
Alice
Ayant déjà lu trois ou quatre autres journaux intimes du même auteur, je m'étais un peu lassée du procédé et j'avais peur de ne pas savourer les pensées du beau Capitaine. Pourtant, j'ai finalement trouvé que c'était celui dont le récit était le plus fluide et que l'on oubliait facilement qu'il s'agissait d'un "journal intime" et j'ai aimé me replonger dans cette histoire que j'adore!

La première partie nous permet de découvrir la rencontre d'Anne et Frederick et de mieux comprendre leur passé...more
Becca
I am so happy with this book! I read it last of the Diaries that I owned, not really knowing what to expect, and I couldn’t be more delighted. Persuasion is one of my least favourite Austen books, and consequently Captain Wentworth is not my favourite hero. But this Diary really raised his esteem in my eyes, though I don’t think his ranking on the Hero list has changed.

As I thought with Mr Knightley’s Diary in regards to Emma; Captain Wentworth's Diary is Persuasion the way that Persuasion shoul...more
Katie
This was a great book!!!

Let me explain.
Persuasion is my least favorite out of all the books by Jane Austen (although it is also very good). My main reasons for disliking Persuasion were these: Anne Elliot was the least out of all the heroines of Jane Austen that I could identify with (being a tad bit more headstrong), and Captain Wentworth didn't have as much personality as the other Jane Austen heroes.
But.......
Captain Wentworth's Diary was amazing because it gave more depth to both Anne's c...more
Xenia
I probably would not have read this book without reading about its recommendation in the Jane Austen group. I am so glad I read it. I loved it! It is so nice to read Persuasion completely through Captain Wentworth's eyes. The author Amanda Grande did a wonderful job.

Captain Wentworth is so mature and only wants to marry for love. The Captain's love for Anne is constant. Regardless of his pride and doubts the Captain continues to move forward to regain the love of his life. I love Captain Wentwor...more
Marnie (Miss Snow)
Persuasione è uno dei libri più belli in assoluto, mi sconvolge, sempre. E' il libro da tenere sul comodino, da leggere quando si è tristi, insomma, il compagno di una vita.
Il tentativo di Amanda Grange di riportare in vita il Capitano Wentworth, è riuscito. Entrare nella sua testa e mettere nero su bianco i suoi pensieri non è cosa facile. Il suo racconto si intona alla perfezione con l'uomo dell'epoca e ho apprezzato il fatto che non sia mai entrata nel melenso o nel melodrammatico. Agli eroi...more
Carissa
This book is exactly as it sounds; a diary from Captain Wentworth's perspective, the hero of Jane Austen's Persuasion. As most of my friends know, I don't go in for epistolary writing. Or Jane Austen-inspired fiction, for that matter. But . . . I couldn't resist! Wentworth is my second favorite of the Austen heroes, superseded only by Emma's Mr. Knightley.

Finding a diary from his perspective was pure heaven for two reasons.

1) I love the male perspective in literature. Heroines are usually the fo...more
Maggie
I loved Persuasion and reading the different POVs from other Austen heroes (particularly P&P). It took me a while to get into this novel, but I ended up really liking it. One part I particularly liked about it was that they kept almost all the quotes originally from JA's novel. I'd recommend it to anyone who loved Persuasion.
Michelle
So I've heard good things about Mr. Darcy's Diary by Grange but my library didn't have that book. It did have this book, Wentworth's Diary, so I thought I'd give it a try...

It was a huge pile of drivel.

Bland, not written like a diary, full of non-realistic fluff and so obviously written from a women's point of view.
Jeannette
I can't write a gushing review about this book. It was quite slow at the beginning and the language was kind of flat. It was a nice little story and filled in some of the gaps, but nowhere near Austen's style. It helped that I could imagine the scenes from the movie in places.
Soph
Oh how I pity Wentworth even more now!! So romantic and so constant to his Anne!! Lovely to see the first part of their relationship, when they first meet!! Wentworth really is a lovely man!
Pancake
Je dois dire que ce tome-là, je l'attendais autant que je le redoutais. Je l'attendais parce que Persusasion est mon roman de Jane Austen préféré, et parce que le capitaine Wentworth est mon héros austenien préféré, mais je le redoutais, eh bien, pour les mêmes raisons! N'allais-je pas me lacer à force de ces réécritures sous forme de journaux? N'allais-je pas être déçue de découvrir un Frederick Wentworth loin d'être comme moi je me l'imaginais? Difficile de commencer une lecture avec autant d...more
Miriam Reeves
I really enjoyed this book. Its a great companion read for Persuasion! I would recommend it.
Luciana Darce
Todo mundo já deve saber a essas alturas que Persuasão é meu romance favorito dos escritos por Jane Austen – se é para suspirar por algum mocinho, que ele use dragonas e tenha ar de pirata. Wentworth é meu herói favorito e é claro que eu estava ansiosa por chegar nesse volume.

A história começa bem antes da narrativa oficial de Persuasão, com aqueles famosos (e dolorosos) eventos de ‘oito anos atrás’, quando tudo começou entre a jovem Anne e o recém nomeado capitão Frederick.

Sempre admirei Wentwo...more
Milka
Captain Wentworth’s diary is one of the diaries of Jane Austen heroes written by Amanda Grange. This is the fourth Amanda Grange novel for me, and I truly enjoyed it like I did with the previous novels as well. The reviews to the previous Amanda Grange titles I’ve read can be found from these links:
Captain Wentworth’s diary first gives us a glimpse to things that happened when Captain Wentworth and Anne first met and fell in love. The events of that summer are described with much of passion and...more
Heather
I thought this book was okay. In my opinion, I didn't feel that Amanda Grange really captured Captain Wentworth's character or the original atmosphere in Jane Austen's Persuasion. Grange's, Anne and Captain Wentworth didn't captivate me the same as in Austen's version. Besides Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion is one of my favorite Austen stories, so I was disappointed.

It was a very fast read. In one sitting and it was finished.

I like the idea of continuing the lives and stories of the character...more
The original story of Persuasion by Jane Austen left a warm spot in my heart. I could not help but seek out a second account of it when I discovered Amanda Grange's take in "Captain Wentworth's Diary". She carried the burden well to imitate such a beloved authoress and to retell such iconic stories, but I detect my affection for her novels does partially derive from some "coat-tail riding" on her part. I already like reading Jane Austen and seeing the characters she creates.

One oddity. I don't...more
Bry
I finally know what is missing from Amanda Grange's diary books. They aren't written enough like a diary. Don't get me wrong. I like that the characters are seemingly able to recall entire conversations word for word (since the reader needs it to know where they are in the original story). I just wish each entry (that was of importance in terms of emotion or major plot happenings) had more of the character's inner emotions written out.

For example, the entry where Anne reads his letter and accep...more
  • None But You (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #1)
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • From Lambton to Longbourn: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Little Sister
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • The Darcy Connection
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Jane Fairfax
Amanda Grange was born in Yorkshire and spent her teenage years reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer whilst also finding time to study music at Nottingham University. She has had twenty-five novels published including six Jane Austen retellings, which look at events from the heroes' points of view. She has also had two books published under different names: Murder at Whitegates Manor (as Eleano...more
More about Amanda Grange...
Mr. Darcy's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #1) Mr. Darcy, Vampyre Mr. Knightley's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #2) Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5) Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)