Blank-133x176
El Quimono Perfumado /...

Laura Joh Rowland

El Quimono Perfumado / The Perfumed Sleeve (Sano Ichiro #9)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  677 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Sano Ichiro, Most Honorable Investigator of Events, Situations, and People is faced with his most challenging case when he investigates the death of Senior Elder Makino, the shogun's most trusted adviser. There is only one puzzling clue - a torn, perfumed sleeve of a kimono. Under the watchful eyes of the shogun's cousin, Lord Matsudaira, and the shogun's second-in-command...more
Published (first published 2004)

John
Even at book #9, this series is still going strong. In fact, THE PERFUMED SLEEVE is one of the best, most intricate Sano Ichiro mysteries to date. Rowland's brilliant plotting and deft handling of suspense kept me up all night turning the pages. Great characters, high stakes, and an exotic historical setting only help to further sweeten the pot. Ichiro continues to be one of the most fascinating detective characters in all of literature.
Serge Pierro
Another good book in the series by Rowland. Although there are no major developments in her writing style, it is clear that she is comfortable and confident in writing this series at this point.
Tocotin
This was one of the more enjoyable books in the series, even though nothing has changed. Sano is bland and uptight as always, Hirata is stupid, Reiko is annoying, the shogun, well, I have no words, and Lady Yanagisawa has lost her last brain cell I don't know where. The most interesting part of the book were clumsy attempts at seizing power in the realm, repeated by Chamberlain Yanagisawa and Lord Matsudaira; also I'd like to know what happened between Yanagisawa and Hoshina, because it seems th...more
Sumi
The Sano Ichiro mysteries take place during the Tokugawa Shogunate and this time Sano receives a posthumous request from an old enemy to have his death investigated just in case he was murdered.

At the same time there's a power struggle to control the weak-willed Shogun and both factions want Sano on their side. Each side naturally takes advantage of the investigation to try and implicate the other and both hold enough power to destroy him and his family if he makes a mistake.

As mysteries go, it...more
Barbara Lazar
Another fabulous mystery!

Why not five stars? Rowland has one bad habit: translating modern, American expressions into "comparable" Japanese terms. As I work pretty heavily around the Meiji era with my own work, this translation act struck me as a bit inauthentic.
Emily
This was much less historical fiction than it was a mystery novel. And for a mystery novel, I enjoyed it. It *was* set in Japan, 1694, but little is made of the historical backdrop. It was a classic who-dunnit that I would've enjoyed much more without all the sex. It seemed unnecessary & kind of trashy at times.

BUT it was a good mystery, I couldn't predict what happened (which is always nice), and the main characters were pretty well fleshed out. I could tell from the outset of reading that...more
Kandas Myer
Jan 28, 2008 Kandas Myer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys murder mysteries.
This author, while at times immature in her story telling, does one thing extremely well. By the time you are half way through any of her Sano Ichiro novels, you are reluctant to fall asleep without knowing what will happen next. From the volume of books I have read by Laura Joh Rowland, one might guess she is a favorite of mine. The reading is light, easy and woven together in fuedal Japan without being heavily burdened with historical reference. Again, as with the other
Sano novels, I highly re...more
Sae-chan
Quite an easy and engaging read. Makes you second guess what other people are telling you. Everything has at least two sides. Highly recommended for people who are quick to form opinions.
Eduardo
quite a few twist in this adventure
Steven
Sano Ichiro, chief detective for a 17th centruy shogun of Japan, investigates the murder of a powerful politician amid the turnoil of warring factions. I enjoyed the mystery, the political intrigue, and interesting characters, and look forward to the next book in this series. My only disappointment was that at the end I would have liked to see more of a final confrontation between Yanagasawa and Ichiro.
Katharina
I read a few reviews which said it was the best book of the series so far. I must admit it wasn't bad, but I liked "Black Lotus" or "The Pillowbook of Lady Wisteria" a lot more.

The ending was REALLY surprising though...
And I think Reiko and Hirata developed quite a lot during the story. I like Reiko a lot more now...
Tim
Apr 01, 2008 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: japanophiles and murder mystery fans alike
yes, it was a page-turner from about halfway on. all of her books have that "i have to read more" effect on me. but, i wasn't as completely blown away by this book as i have been so many other times.

have i lost faith in laura joh rowland? absolutely not, and i'm really excited to read THE ASSASIN'S TOUCH next.
Ruka
Originally I got it, because the cover-art was gorgeous. (Yes, that's a bad habit of mine, judging a book by it's cover.) Then I thought... historical fiction / mystery set in Japan, in 1694... can it get any better than this? Well yes, it can. Read it and you'll know~ ♥
Deborah
Political intrigue, tests of loyalty, and, of course, murder and sex... set in 18th century Japan. The time and place are especially fascinating and the characters are well cast. The story doesn't flag... will be reading others.
Victoria
Once again a fan of Sano Ichiro. Skipped a whole mess of books in the seris but was abel to follow along non the less.
Plan on reading the rest of the Sano Ichiro Mysteries. Nice suspense and a nice sprinkeling of Sex always a nice combo.
Caroline
Aug 12, 2007 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Xarah
Another of the Sano Ichiro mysteries, and I enjoyed it like I did the others. They're always great for a look into a completely different culture (feudal Japan), and the mysteries are always entertaining.
Julie
I enjoy the Sano mysteries. I always learn something. This book taught me high society women not only shaved their eyebrows, they died their teeth black as well.
Dottie
Love these Sano Ichiro mysteries -- there is a lot of background on ancient Japan as well as well-thought out suspense -- every time.
Steve Woods
Standard pot boiler. Formulaic, getting a bit tired of the variations on the same them,e. Time for a change
Laurie
I enjoyed learning about how Japan society operated during that time in history.
Katrina
Engaging, atmospheric mystery that takes place in 17th century Japan (part of a series).
Hans
Another good Sano Ichiro story. Good insights into medieval Japan
Janice
Love books about Japan, especially historical novels. Great read.
Lane
I love this author and have read everything she writes!
Xarah
This is the 9th book in the Sano Ichiro series.
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • The Floating Girl
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • Floating City (Nicholas Linnear, #5)
  • The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)
  • The Master of Rain
  • SPQR IV: The Temple of the Muses (SPQR, #4)
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
Granddaughter of Chinese and Korean immigrants, Laura Joh Rowland grew up in Michigan and where she graduated with a B.S. in microbiology and a Master of Public Health at the University of Michigan. She currently lives in New Orleans with her husband. She has worked as a chemist, microbiologist, sanitary inspector and quality engineer.
More about Laura Joh Rowland...
Shinju (Sano Ichiro, #1) The Concubine's Tattoo (Sano Ichiro, #4) The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5) Bundori (Sano Ichiro, #2) Black Lotus (Sano Ichiro, #6)