Start by marking “Great Tales from English History, Vol 3” as Want to Read:
Great Tales from English History, Vol 3

Great Tales from English History, Vol 3 (Great Tales from English History #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  30 reviews
- With insight, humor and fascinating detail, Robert Lacey brings brilliantly to life the stories that made England. From Ethelred the Unready to Richard the Lionheart, the Venerable Bede to Piers the Ploughman, this is, quite simply, history as history should be told.- Lacey's bestseller The Year 1000 has netted 120,000 copies in hardcover and paperback combined.- In the ...more
Published December 11th 2006 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Great Tales from English History, Vol 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Tales from English History, Vol 3

Al Tarancón
From my blog original entry...

Ahora mismo me estoy leyendo tres libros, a ratos. El primero es Great Tales of English History de Robert Lacey. El libro cuenta de manera cronologica momentos curiosos o interesantes de la historia de los ingleses, narrandolos en cuatro o cinco paginas, y de manera muy amena. De este voy leyendo poco a poco, un capitulo o dos al dia. Este es el tercer libro, que cubre de 1690 a 1953, aunque servidor pretendia pillarse el segundo libro, que iba del 1100 al 1690, una
Pete Friend
I thought the first two were scintillating but I think this one tops the lot, I read the final 30 odd pages on my train ride from victoria to brighton and sat in the stationary train at the end wishing the journey was longer so i could finish. the level of detail is perfect, the choice of figures and anecdotes and information is brilliant. i've just order the 3 volumes in one so i can read again, but also hope the author brings out more volumes to go with it, or maybe another countries history. ...more
Oliver Hodson
I like it a lot and he manages to deal pretty successfully with choosing stories that are interesting- tales, indeed- as opposed to systematically telling a history. He definitely sketches both sides of the story and allows for exactly the kind of complexity historians like, and does so in a light way, not overbearing. I think that there could be lots of questions about other tales that could go in, but I didn't see too much barrow pushing, in fact it was almost frustrating trying to pin down la ...more
Dale
An Entertaining Take on English History

Published in 2007 by W.F. Howes Ltd.
Read by the author, Robert Lacey
Duration: 6 hours, 15 minutes

Robert Lacey's quirky 3 volume collection Great Tales from English History was truly a joy to listen to. Volume III ran from the late 17th century to the 1990s and covered such topics as John Locke, The Boston Tea Party (a remarkably even-handed presentation of the American Revolution in general), King George III, the beginnings of the Methodist movement, the In
Diane Heath
I enjoy history but even those who are not fans of history would enjoy this book. I will need to find volumes one and two at some point. This volume goes from the reign of William and Mary past WW II. Each "chapter" is a brief story revealing new aspects of English history
Erin
Do not expect a comprehensive history of Britain. This book is exactly what it purports to be: small snapshots of British history from 1690 to 1953. It's good for whetting your appetite for more history. I disliked its Progressive bias, which became stronger in later chapters.
Chris
This third volume held my interest---its short chapters (usually about 3 pages) contained interesting information about a range of historical figures; many of whom were new to me.

It started fast, but the recurrent style dragged about midway through. The writing held up well, but it was the repetitive nature of the chapters that slowed me down. They are written in a newspaper column style, and it's a style I really like, but it just got old after a while. I would have enjoyed this book much more
Allison
Maybe it was me reading the jacket incorrectly, but I expected this book to contain more unusual stories from English history. Instead, there were few I hadn't heard before and many that were presented exactly the same way as my tenth-grade text book. That said, I always found that text book to be rather interesting, so I enjoyed this reminder of the history I knew.

I did have to laugh at the inclusion of "The Boston Tea-Party," which I tend to think of as a great tale from American History. The
Lucy
This book is a collection of snippets from history. All interesting, each "tale" brings an era to life and does a better job than most histories of making the tale's characters recognizably human. Even the villains of English history, such as Richard III and Bloody Mary, are treated gently and made more understandable in the context of their times.

A lively and informative book, "Great Tales" is great to pick up now and then to encounter such disparate people as the Venerable Bede and Henry VIII,
Tania P
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and it's spurred me on to read more about English history. A quick and interesting read.
Shiloah
An excellent series! I learned much, enjoyed the stories, and was captivated the entire time.
Mystie Winckler
MCL. audio.

Lacey is a good storyteller, and this is the period of history I know least about. The birth of modernity, a sad tale always packaged as progress, which must be good. At the outset of this period, Londoners actually chose disease and death over having the government regulate how they could dispose of their waste. Ah, how the mighty have fallen.
Ann
I am a fan of Britain. If I could go back to college I would major in British history. Lacy's book was very enjoyable. A quick look at myths and tales with straight facts and resources to back them up. I really enjoyed reading about the oringination of certain words and phrases.
Carolyn
I read the first two volumes before a trip to England, which made the trip and the books infinitely more interesting - and makes this third volume harder to finish (i.e. no trip). So I think I'll shelve it till we're ready for another hop across the pond.
Jenny
Robert Lacey does it again! With stories from the madness of King George to Dr. Crippen to the discovery of DNA by Crick and Watson, Lacey's writing style brings well and little known stories from history to life.
Marilou
The origin of the Union Jack and the Riot Act and more! All done up in brief and humorous tales. Painless English history in small enough bites to easily digest. That dose of humour sweetens the meal!
John
I don't recall having been as "impressed" with this volume as the previous ones, but it was an interesting way to pass time, and learn a few new highlights from modern English history.
David Vanness
As a history buff I found it very enjoyable. Some bits of which I was not really aware. Just wish I'd had volumns 1 & 2 to proceed my Border's close-out two dollar adventure.
Elvenjen
Events and people in English history in nice, short, 4- or 5-page stories. I really like the format and his writing style is easy to read and understand.
Keri Daskam
I enjoyed this 3 volume set more than any other history book I've read. My favorite was volume 2, but volume 3 (the Industrial Revolution) was a close second.
Abigail
Great series. Very enjoyable history reading. Lacey presents stories and details you probably haven't heard before which keeps it interesting.
Fenixbird SandS
Dec 02, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: to read
Shelves: wanna-buys, history
by Robert Lacey..author of THE KINGDOM The House of Sa'ud which I am currently reading..mulling over.. absorbing...enjoying!!
Warack60
Wonderful light-reading book. Each story is 2-6 pages generally and is great for periodical reading.
Mary
Really easy to read, picking out important episodes in British history - a great introduction to the topic.
Cynthia Egbert
I like the older stuff better, but this was still worth reading!
Carol
Short snappy stories of history in chronological order, with an excellent bibliography.
Jerry Dreesen
excellent condensed digest of historical facts. entertaining and enlightening.
Bookhuw
I wish I'd written this book - a great collection.
Zita
Volume III The Battle of the Boyne to DNA
Lauri
Loved this series
  • The Worst Jobs in History
  • The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Regency and Victorian England
  • Secret Lives Of The First Ladies: What Your Teachers Never Told You About The Women of The White House
  • A History of Wales
  • Crown of Thistles
  • Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
  • Picasso's War
  • The Rarest of the Rare: Stories Behind the Treasures at the Harvard Museum of Natural History
  • The Anglo Saxon Chronicle
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Elizabeth of York: The Forgotten Tudor Queen
  • 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini
  • Heaven's Command: An Imperial Progress (The Pax Britannica Trilogy, #1)
  • A Brief History Of The Tudor Age
  • Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived
  • The Reluctant Empress
Robert Lacey is a British historian noted for his original research, which gets him close to - and often living alongside - his subjects. He is the author of numerous international bestsellers.

After writing his first works of historical biography, Robert, Earl of Essex and Sir Walter Ralegh, Robert wrote Majesty, his pioneering biography of Queen Elizabeth II. Published in 1977, Majesty remains
ack
More about Robert Lacey...

Great Tales from English History (3 books)
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 1
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium Inside the Kingdom: Kings, Clerics, Modernists, Terrorists and the Struggle for Saudi Arabia Great Tales from English History, Vol 1 Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More Grace