Start by marking “Victorian Sensation: The Extraordinary Publication, Reception, and Secret Authorship of Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation” as Want to Read:

Fiction or philosophy, profound knowledge or shocking heresy? When Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation was published anonymously in 1844, it sparked one of the greatest sensations of the Victorian era. More than a hundred thousand readers were spellbound by its startling vision—an account of the world that extended from the formation of the solar system to the spir ...more
Published October 20th 2003 by University Of Chicago Press (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Victorian Sensation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victorian Sensation

Mike Sutton
Jan 26, 2015 Mike Sutton rated it it was amazing
James Secord is without a doubt the leading expert of all time on Robert Chambers's "The Vestiges of Creation"

Secord tells us why Chambers' book was so successful, why it was criticized and why its author remained anonymous until after his death.

I recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand a major part of the story about why "evolution was in the air" in the first half of the 19th century.

But in writing this superb and brilliantly scholarly story, Secord failed to see the most important
Selena
Nov 24, 2015 Selena rated it liked it
While it was nice to have this book tie in everything we've talked about in class, and I understand that it was quite an achievement to get all aspects of Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation publication (not to mention this is exactly what I want to do with Asian-American history), I found the subject matter quite boring. I would, however, like to read Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation very much.
Shonda Wilson
Apr 14, 2015 Shonda Wilson rated it really liked it
My only concrete complaint about this book is that I believe that Secord essentially tries to cover too much in one book, thus making his arguments at times...convoluted. That being said, the connection to reform with the growth of the Victorian print culture...explained through the publication and response to one book is one of the more interesting historical monographs I've read this year.
It did make me want to study the culture more and I believe his views are on point... but the book can bog
Colleen
May 05, 2011 Colleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: literature
It was very thorughly researched . Only likely to appeal to someonw iwth a deep interest in the history of the idea of evoloution.I enjoyed it but it was a tough read
Alex
Nov 14, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, masterful, and amazing.
Russ Olsen
May 29, 2010 Russ Olsen rated it it was amazing
Despite the title, it's not erotica. It's about a book that hit the stores 20 years before Darwin. Very, very through history.
Wiseburglar
Wiseburglar rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Cheri
Cheri rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2017
Miriam
Miriam rated it really liked it
May 29, 2008
Homewrecker
Homewrecker rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2011
Chau
Chau rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Jeff Schauer
Jeff Schauer rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2009
Teri
Teri rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2007
Ritzy
Ritzy rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Emily Brown
Emily Brown rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
James Tracy
James Tracy rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2010
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Daniel Fehder
Daniel Fehder rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Daniel Fehder
Daniel Fehder rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Neil Humphrey
Neil Humphrey rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Roelof Ten
Roelof Ten rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Michelle Joers
Michelle Joers rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Leila
Leila rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013