Material Girl
read ebook* *Different edition

Material Girl (Lear Family Trilogy #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  789 ratings  ·  83 reviews
In the first book of her sizzling new trilogy, Julia London introduces readers to the glamorous Lear family, whose dying patriarch has vowed to teach his spoiled, pampered daughters to appreciate the important things in life-like love...

Glamorous jet-setter Robin Lear gets a crash course in Reality 101 when her father demotes her from her cushy job in the family business...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Material Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Girl

Nelle (Nelle's Nightstand)
"Meet the glamorous Lear family whose dying patriarch has vowed to teach his spoiled, pampered daughters some lessons. Rich, beautiful, sexy-Robin Lear is all that. Until her father tells her he's dying and demotes her from a cushy job in the family business. In an instant her world has unraveled-she spends a night in jail, works as a lackey to her ex-boyfriend, and is way too distracted by a sexy contractor..."

Such a great read! No simple storyline here! After reading the reviews I was prepared...more
Alix
It would probably have been a solid 2.5 stars or so, for predictable, charming, heart-warmingly funny chick lit... except the completely unnecessary homophobic references and statements made me want to punch the author in the face... so let's say 1.5 stars, simply because of how enraged that made me.
Cindi
This book is a re-read for me and I am really glad I pulled it out of my old books and gave it a whirl! I think I got so much more out of it the second time around. Certainly I had a different appreciation of it simply because of the health of my father at this time of my life; I understood Robin's father and his various mood swings more now.

This is book one of a trilogy about 3 daughters and how their 55 yr. old father wants to fix everything that he sees as wrong with his beloved girls now tha...more
Stephanie D
I totally love this book!!!!!!! The characters are just amazing. One minute your laughing, the next your crying. Although, this book isn't THAT dramatic. It's just a plain good ole story.

Robin Lear’s extravagant lifestyle is the envy of every socialite in Texas—until a personal tragedy changes everything. Her father, shipping tycoon Aaron Lear, announces he has just months to live. Determined to teach his spoiled daughter one final life lesson, Aaron demotes her from her cushy job in the family...more
Jolene
I just read this last night. I have loved her historicals and am open minded about reading her contemporaries. But aside from a thoroughly unlikable heroine and slow drawn out plot... I was terribly offended by the use of gay slurs from the so-called "hero."

The blatant homophobia in this book was ridiculous. The "hero" was derisive towards his nephew and soon-to-be ward because he was "sensitive" and we all know "how that tends to turn out for men." And continuous use of the F word? Even if the...more
Angel **Book Junkie**
Disclaimer: I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads Program and in no way shape or form did it dictate how I felt about this book.

I actually did not think that I would like this book when I first picked it up. 300 pages in the pool and sunburn later I realized that I was sucked in and did not want to put it down. The problem was around page 300-400 it got pretty boring (hence the missing flame). I liked the humor, the characters, and the lessons learned.

I will be reading the next...more
Kristin
I really enjoyed this book. At the beginning, Robin was a arrogant, annoying and self-centered protagonist that I greatly disliked. It was nice for most of these character flaws to be altered by the end of the book and she became a protagonist I was rooting for. Her growth into a more mature and considerate person because of her relationship with Jake was the best part of this book. By the end she was still a prima-dona but she was at least a likable one. Jake is a kid from the wrong side of the...more
Cornélia
that was ok...
He is cool and good except for his homophic remarks...
but her? c'est quand même une sacré pouf'!

most of the time I couldn't understand why they were in a relationship to begin with.
Donna
Robin Lear has it all, or so it seems. She has money at her disposal and a cushy job. She can take one of the family jets to Paris on a moment's notice or shop frivolously for designer shoes. But she's still seeking the approval of her father, who's now dying of cancer. When he decides she must make it on her own, she has no direction except that of ex-lover Evan who dogs her every step. Both humorous and poignant, it's fun to watch her growth into a mature woman.

She's hired Jake Manning to reno...more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
3.5stars actually

This reprinted series from 2000 follows the Lear sisters, Robin Rebecca and Rachel who are all called to the family homestead to hear the news. Dad uses this opportunity to point out each of his daughters shortcomings adding to an already frustrating week for Robbie. Licking her wounds has Robbie underlining how under-qualified she is for her job; getting herself in even more trouble both on the job and off as this is the week she demanded to have her house renovated. Jake Mann...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
Nice try...Or not...DNF at 42%

It was well written, had some humor and could have been great.

It had a great male main character in Jake Manning, the handyman/architect. He had some family problems, not the easiest life so far, but he is adult, sane and an all around nice guy with a hunky body. A hit in the romance genre.

But the female main was a miss for me. She was too selfcentered, too material, too unorganized and her whole personality didn't make any sense. She is supposed to be 34, but has...more
Cindy
2,5 bintang ....
Buku pertama saya dari Julia London yang non HR.
Idenya sih gak unik unik banget ya. Tipe heroine bitchy yang super duper kaya raya manja dan gak bisa megang bisnis warisan keluarga, yang sebenernya gak 'bitchy' gak manja dll lah ... Ketemu hero cowok yang mandiri lempeng dan oh so hot ....

Jadi ceritanya itu diawali dengan Ayah Robin Lear yang ternyata kena tumor otak dan sedah sekarat. Dia punya bisnis pengiriman barang yang super sukses. Mulai dari nol dan membangun usahanya s...more
Donna
The Lear Sisters Trilogy by Julia London
Material Girl, Beauty Queen, and Miss Fortune.
Material Girl – Oldest sister Robin is a high powered V.P. at daddy’s company a job she is ill prepared for and frankly sucks at. Meet Jake a guy from the wrong side of the tracks trying to make it as a contractor while studying architecture.
Beauty Queen – Middle sister former Miss Texas, Rebecca, is newly divorced from her childhood sweetheart with a small child who cries for his nanny. Meet man whore Matt t...more
Angela
4 stars

Robin Lear is a successful businesswoman at her father’s giant freight corporation. Or so she thinks. Once she meets Jake — the guy renovating her new house — she realizes she’s little more than an arrogant, spoiled child who can’t see outside her fancy bubble. When Robin’s feelings for Jake begin to deepen, she knows she must shed her material girl image and find her real self, the self she can share forevermore with a man like Jake.

This is a fun romance with a happily-ever-after ending....more
Lia Mcintosh

I loved this book by Julia London and the real romance she develops between Jake and Robin, as well as the real problems the two must face and overcome in their quest to be together and try for their own happily ever after. I am so glad I read this book. It was a contemporary romance that depended on developing real relationships and just right amount of sex to spice up the story. If you want a real, feel good romance this is the book for you.
Robin Lear has it all, or so it seems. She has money...more
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
I love this trilogy! Julia London has written the books based on three sisters. They make appearances in each others books, but each book focuses mostly on one of the sisters. These are the best contemporary romance novels I have ever read.

The first in the series "Material Girl" revolves around Robin Lear, a spoiled brat of a girl who has her life turned upside down when her father announces he is dying and plans to make big changes while he does so.

Lear Transport Industries is the company that...more
Sorina
Boooring, really booring.

Jake has some potential but Robin is annoying as hell and she's 34. She's arrogant thinks little about the working people and doesn't know a thing about affairs.

I really hope that i can finish this book, but i don't know.....

Yey i made it till 75% of the book, although Robin's character haven't improved a lot and i was a little bit grossed about his barbed wired tattoo it's bearable.

It's a little bit cruel that he is developing real feelings for her and i don't see a rea...more
Barbara Blanc
So loved this story. First one in the Sister's trilogy. She came from a very spoiled and elite lifestyle to figure out what in life was truly important. The hero was my kind of man. A man who could do just about anything. His nephew added an element of danger and worry. Glad he came around in the end. Not sure what to think of his mother. Some of the time she was ok. Now the father of the heroine. He was a mess, but his estranged wife made him likeable in away. Loved that these characters all ap...more
A n n a
Ein nettes Buch mit einer endlich mal etwas längeren Lesefreude.
Ich mag die Charaktere und den ganzen Verlauf der Geschichte, da es sehr realistisch geschrieben ist.
Besonders viel zur Story braucht man nicht sagen, da es ohne großen Überraschungen schnell vorstellbar ist wie das Ende aussieht. trotzdem macht das lesen viel Spaß weil es mal wieder zwei absolut gegensätzliche Welten zeigt.
Den einen Stern hab ich abgezogen, weil hier leider der Man mal wieder den Rückzieher gemacht hat.
Das geht fin...more
Maggie
The story was a great one. The book was pretty predictable but it was still a fun read. I took the two stars off because of predictability and because of the corny romance. I honestly thought that the author was a good writer and could paint a picture with her words. But when it came to "those" scenes I found myself making sour faces. I usually don't pay much attention to the scenes because that's not why I read the books.
Julie
At last a contemporary romance worth reading. The main characters are Robin and Jake. Robin is a little spoilt and Jake is a hunky guy doing some renovations on her house. Robins finds out her father is ill, and her life has to change. This is a great book, I look forward to the rest of the trilogy
Vmoney
Fun read

I liked this book and thought it was an interesting and light read. It was fairly quick and predictable but still a sweet romance and you rooted for the main characters. I will read the other books in the series.
MueroporlosLibros
El primer libro de la trilogía, me gustó mucho, una historia de amor entre una mujer rica, caprichosa y superficial, y un hombre de clase trabajadora que lucha por salir adelante con sus propios medios. Muy recomendable!!
Kimberly
Aug 03, 2014 Kimberly marked it as will-come-back-to  ·  review of another edition
I may try the audio again at a later date, but most likely I'll read the print version. The narrator doesn't sound like the right age for the main character and it's kind of bothering me right now.
Susan Phillips
Very entertaining

Loved the book. A book you can pick up and read and feel good when you have finished. Can hardly wait to read the rest in the series.
Sandie
All I can say is if you haven't read any of Julia's work, you need to! She has a fabulous way with words. I was drawn in from the beginning of this book and couldn't put it down until I finished it!

This is the first book in her Trilogy about the oldest sister of the Lear family, Robin.

I must admit there were times I though I had figured out what was going to happen around the next bend, but rarely was I right. I can't tell too much or I will give it away.

I can't thank Julia for having these boo...more
Trea
This book started out really slow going, but I wasn't willing to give up on it at 23%. By 42% in, I was thinking that it is a very boring book. It was all talk and nothing was moving forward at all! I wound up slogging through it and wound up regretting my decision to do so. Robin was the bulk of the problem in this book. Even going in knowing that she was a spoiled brat, it took her so long to actually grow up! Jake was an okay hero, but he couldn't redeem this book. I went into this expecting...more
Alyssa
I received this book from the first reads contests that Good Reads does. It was a good book, I liked the characters. Cole was my favorite, I would like to see where he ends up in life. Robin and Jake were likable, though they each had their faults. I do think that they had the same arguments over and over again in the book and I ended up skimming through certain parts. I hated Even, from the very beginning. Neither he nor Mia had any redeeming qualities. And I hope in future books Aaron gets his...more
Susan
1st JL, vry gd stdy rch grl Robin demotd by dying dad, wrkg frm hm while being renovtd by dwn2erth Jake who knws theyv no futr bt lvs hr, shs afrd, gd rsolutn, 2nds grt
Shantyl
GREAT BOOK & CHARACTER BUILDING. KEPT ME INTERESTED TIL THE END.
  • Nip, Tuck, Dead (Pauline Sokol, #5)
  • Villere House (Blood of My Blood #1)
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)
  • Sleeping with Beauty (Glass Slipper, Inc., #3)
  • Pick Your Poison
  • Carved In Stone (Art of Love, #1)
  • Blood Claim (Half-Blood Princess, #1)
  • Summer at Seaside Cove
  • Come Fly With Me (Alaskan Nights, #2)
  • Relentless (Lodestone Trilogy #3)
  • To Catch A Vampire (A F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #2)
  • What a Woman Wants (Manley Maids, #1)
  • Hunk for the Holidays (Hunk for the Holidays, #1)
  • Muse
  • Blame It on Paris
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • Coming Undone (Marine, #4)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than a two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular Secrets of Hadley Green historical romance series, as well as the new Cabot Sisters historical series, including The Trouble with Honor, The Fall of Grace, and The Perils of Prudence. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, includ...more
More about Julia London...
The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes, #1) The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1) The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount (Desperate Debutantes, #3) The Devil's Love The Perils of Pursuing a Prince (Desperate Debutantes, #2)