Start by marking “Stolen from Gypsies” as Want to Read:
Stolen from Gypsies

Stolen from Gypsies

Ambrogio Smythe, a hypochodriacal British nobleman, is obsessed by childhood memories of Gypsies. Ambrogio leaves his ancestral estate and makes his way to Florence, always aware of the lurking menace of the hated Napoleon Bonaparte. In Tuscany, Ambrogio meets a wondering storyteller, hears a magical yarn about a Gypsy babe kidnapped by a demon, buys a shred of parchment ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by RiverWood Books (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen from Gypsies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen from Gypsies

Suz
A bawdy, kicky little fantasy.

This is another "boy meets stranger, sells his soul to Satan (kind of), and then gets away with his soul *and* the girl" story.

It's almost like a parody: a dirty, bawdy, naughty parody of a fairy tale.

(view spoiler)
Randy
Aug 05, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful, funny, entertaining romp with wonderful use of language and characters you won't soon forget. I've read it more than once and enjoy it each time. It's both serious and silly, would make a great film and deserves many more readers than it's had to date. I think it's best read out loud to get full benefit. The Blackstone Audio book is highly recommended if you are too lazy to read it aloud yourself. Frederick Davidson is a consummate actor/book reader who really gets this ...more
Bayneeta
Too convoluted and farcical for my tastes. Ribald in the way of the earliest English novels. Shades of Tom Jones, Shakespeare's comedic plots, and The Princess Bride. For me the only laugh-out-loud moment came when the narrator of the audio suggested that if I'd enjoyed this book I might like to try Erma Bombeck.
Amy
Jul 07, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
silly adventure that is not unlike *the princess bride* only with more colorful language. fun glossary in the back to explain terms and provide historical narrative. a book to read if you enjoy elizabethan swear words (google it if you are clueless).
Sydney
Feb 13, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
I read this in a day, seriously, I couldn't stop laughing. It was like Mel Brooks got on cahoots with Eric Idle. Ridiculously silly, bawdy, entertaining to the last.
H Gibson
Oct 26, 2014 H Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, laugh-out-loud tale in the style of The Princess Bride. A story within a story, memorable, outrageous characters, most useful glossary of terms that serves to enhance the plot!
Linda
Aug 12, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: hist-fic
Thoroughly enjoyable, lighthearted, endlessly witty entertainment, sharp as the sword of the podesta's pasty and villainous son.
BowbytheBay
Mar 05, 2011 BowbytheBay rated it really liked it
Vocabulary great and story very humorous. A little hard to keep track of the characters in the story and the characters in the story within the story, but maybe it's just me. Highly recommend.
Kristie
Apr 21, 2012 Kristie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was eh. Most of the time it reminded me of he hunchback of notre dame. Ending was predictable too.
M
M rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Ayah El Kadiki
Ayah El Kadiki rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Murat
Murat rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
Mariko
Mariko rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Tim Newton
Tim Newton rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Ariel Lonchar
Ariel Lonchar rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Amy Martin
Amy Martin rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2015
Hugh Hawley
Hugh Hawley rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Danny Cruz
Danny Cruz rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2009
Vladimir A Brik
Vladimir A Brik rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2014
Philip Taffs
Philip Taffs rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2009
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
scherzo♫
scherzo♫ rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Sarah Booth
Sarah Booth rated it really liked it
May 18, 2011
Sandra Holladay
Sandra Holladay rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2013
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2008
Elena Newton
Elena Newton rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
I am an award winning playwright, author, documentary film producer and interactive writer.

My book The Wisdom of the Shire is published by Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, and has been translated into 8 languages. Kirkus Reviews praised it as "A life-affirming, must-have morsel for Tolkien's colossal fan base."

My historical fiction action/adventure Sons of Zeus is published by Thomas Dunne B
More about Noble Smith...