Start by marking “The Bumper Book” as Want to Read:
The Bumper Book

The Bumper Book

Includes the following stories and poems:

- Winken, Blynken and Nod - Eugene Field
- The Easter Rabbit - Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
- The Jolly Jingle of Numbers - Jo McMahon
- A Nonsense Alphabet -
63 pages
Published 1969 by Platt & Munk (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Bumper Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bumper Book

King Ævil
Sep 04, 2011 King Ævil rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2011
The Bumper Book, a collection of poems, songs and fables, is a wonderful treasury of mid-20th-century Americana. (Our copy was printed in 1961, and by then it was already touted as a “classic.”) I remember enjoying these stories as a child, and not thinking that anything was unusual about them, but as a 21st-century adult, I find the anachronisms more entertaining than the vignettes themselves.

The first thing a modern reader will notice, to quote Mystery Science Theater 3000, is that “America su
Mimi
May 18, 2010 Mimi rated it it was amazing
I don't know what made me think of this book...but I cannot believe I actually found it here! This was my absolutely favorite book as a child..."Wynken, Blynken & Nod", "The Kitten who Sucked Her Thumb", "The Swing" (Robert Louis Stevenson), "The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat", "Christopher Robins is Saying His Prayers", etc....wow! such memories!

I have no idea how many times my Mom and Dad read me these stories, or how many times I pretended to read them on my own...but I do know that thi
Guy
Nov 01, 2011 Guy rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite of mine as a little guy. I got a copy of it at Christmas in '65 and still
have it today (It's a "little" beat up these days after MY kiddos got through with it). Eulalie's artwork is beautiful and the stories and poems are perfect for helping a little one off to bed for the night.

I'm shopping now for a nicer copy for my Granddaughter.
Claire
Jun 18, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my most loved books from childhood. I had an old edition (2nd edition from 1946) that I adored. I remember many of the poems - Animal Crackers, the Swing, and the Calico Dog and the Gingham Cat.
Karen
Jul 16, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My all-time favorite children's book--received a copy for Christmas when I was two years old! The artwork is breathtaking and the rhymes are sweet and lyrical. It contains some classics and some originals.
Becky
Jul 17, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This was my favorite childhood book, passed down from my father's childhood as well. My favorite story was "We Won't Tell" but I was read this book so often that I can still recite each story in it to this day!
Barbara
Aug 07, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I still have my ragtag copy of this book from the 1950's. It was my favorite childhood book and they should reprint it for today's children. The illustrations are wonderful and the stories and poems are classics.
Gretchen
May 03, 2009 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Very first book I remember. It is the most beautifully illustrated book of children's verse I've ever seen. Nostalgic and perfect.
Heather
Jun 20, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
One of the earliest books of my childhood.
Vieve
Mar 29, 2008 Vieve rated it it was amazing
Fabulous children's book. Full of classic stories and poetry. Some *I* have never heard. The artwork is fabulous and stirs the imagination. Beautiful.
Brianna
Oct 18, 2010 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
My mom had this book, I had this book, and now Caroline has this book... excellent stories and fabulous illustrations!
Denah Campbell
Sep 10, 2012 Denah Campbell rated it it was amazing
If you have kids, you HAVE to get this book. It's amazing! I still have mine that my mom gave me for my first birthday and I still love it!
Roxana
Roxana rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Forhad Thanatos Florescence
Forhad Thanatos Florescence rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Sannuthi Yojitha keerthi
Sannuthi Yojitha keerthi rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Nicole Mrofchak
Nicole Mrofchak rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
J.N.
J.N. rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Regina
Regina rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2008
Rae
Oct 28, 2009 Rae rated it it was amazing
I love the stories in this.
Geoff
Geoff rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Rainbells Mitkowski
Rainbells Mitkowski rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2010
Nancy Ripley
Nancy Ripley rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Pseudonym for the Platt & Munk publishing house.
More about Watty Piper...