Plastic Jesus

Plastic Jesus

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The 1960's brought Seth and Payton all they'd fantasized about--perfect friendships, a successful four-man band, and most importantly, each other. Together they embarked on a tour that brought them stimulating highs and shattering lows, and they prospered and suffered in one another's arms. The two men carried each other and carried a group that created both a history and...more
Paperback
Published 2002 by Conrad (first published January 1st 2000)

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. StephensThe Mighty Storm by Samantha TowleBackstage Pass by Olivia CunningRock Hard by Olivia Cunning
Epic Rockstar Stories
299th out of 355 books — 1,685 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Books of 2000
136th out of 295 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin
I'm probably bias, but my favorite author is Poppy, so anything by him gets 5 stars always.
Heidi
This book is a really nice and quick read. It's very refreshing to read in between other books. I enjoyed it!
Robert Beveridge
Poppy Z. Brite, Plastic Jesus (Subterranean Press, 2000)

I tried not to be negatively influenced when reading Plastic Jesus by the fact that it is, essentially, a piece of fan fiction about one of the most ridiculously hyped, and the single most overrated, band in music history. Unfortunately, I don't think I succeeded.

Plastic Jesus is the story of the two founding members of a sixties rock sensation called the Kydds. (Oh, let's drop it. It's John and Paul. I mean, even the illustrations are... y...more
Tahni
Alas, had I not just taken a writing class in which we've worked pretty intensively on critiquing I probably would have given this a third star. Mostly I left it feeling like there was more that could have been done (and that there are words that could be cut - thanks, Teacher, now I read books and want to slash out words).

Personally I'm not bothered by the retelling of the story of The Beatles - they did a lot that was fascinating and very inspiring for a writer, professionally and personally (...more
Dana
Plastic Jesus is an off the beaten path tale of two men who form one of the most influential bands in the history of Rock and Roll, and fall in love...

I discovered this story years ago when I was in the height of my Beatles craze. Of course, the main characters in the book and the band names are all changed, but if you know anything about the Beatles, it is clear to see who the characters in this story are based on. This book was written as a what if story about John and Paul falling in love. I...more
Pauline
I loved this. It was my first book by Poppy Z. Brite, but I love her writing, direct and honest. The idea itself of the book might repulse some people (thinking it's just a fan work, and what is there to write about the Beatles that hasn't been written yet!) But it's more than that. It's about music, "sex, drug and rock n'roll" (all 3 in large doses, please!) but it's also about homesexuality and close-mindness, how we deal with such prejudice. And how it could have been changed, with what peopl...more
Jim
Another great book by Poppy Z Brite. I always loved her books about the two young gay guys in New Orleans that grow up together and realize they are gay and love each other and then end up cooking together; Ricky and GMan. And I always thought it amazing that a women could so capture how a gay guy thinks but reading up on Poppy a biography says he now identifies as a gay male and his name is Billy Martin so now it does make sense. :-)
This is kind of a retelling of the John Lennon story but just...more
Harper Kingsley
Based on the Beatles, I found this a very interesting "What if..." Wonderfully written, fairly short, and the edition I read had some pen-drawn illustrations.

A quick-read, it's one of those books that everyone should read once. If you like the Beatles anyway, and really wish that John and Paul could be more than friends. Though this isn't the Beatles, of course, this is Seth and Payton. Two guys that just seem very familiar.

If you don't like m/m, then this is not for you. If you do like m/m, thi...more
Kelley York
I wish I could give half-stars so this could get a 4 1/2.

Always love Poppy's writing. Yes, it's a story that makes more sense if you're familiar with Beatles history, but I don't think you'd have to be to enjoy it. My only real complaint is I wish it were a full-length novel rather than a novella.
Stephen Osborne
A sweet little novella that may infuriate some, as it is (by the author's own admission) a blatant re-telling of the Beatles story, only making John and Paul gay. If you get beyond that, though, there's a lot going on here...passion, love, and understanding.
Janet Brown
I've loved- adored, actually- everything else Brite has written but I was sorely disappointed with this. It seemed flimsy, lacking the gorgeous prose of Lost Souls or the beautiful written and believable characters of Liquor or Drawing Blood. A disappointment.
Wealhtheow
Badly written novella about how a Paul McCartney and John Lennon are twu lubs and save the world through their sparkly gayness. Basically just published Beatles fanfic.
Chris
3.5 stars. Good short story about a band modeled on the Beatles, only the two main singer/songwriters are gay and together.
Kevin
The premise -"what if the Beatles were gay?"- didn't have to be the stuff of shoddy fan-fiction, but here it is.
Holly Interlandi
I must admit I'm biased about this because it's a rockstar love story. I'm obsessed with rockstar love stories.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2009 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes science fiction
Recommended to Amanda by: no one
I really enjoyed this book. I especially remember the story of Satan in his cat form! <3
irene
Published (mediocre) fanfiction, basically.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
  • Gorillaz: Rise of the Ogre
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (The Porcelain Dog #1)
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • The Real Trial of Oscar Wilde
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • Ugly Man
  • Pride/Prejudice: A Novel of Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and Their Forbidden Lovers
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • Britpop!: Cool Britannia And The Spectacular Demise Of English Rock
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • Our Everlasting, Volume 01
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • The God in Flight
  • A Liar's Autobiography: Volume VI
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He...more
More about Poppy Z. Brite...
Lost Souls Drawing Blood Exquisite Corpse Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories Liquor