Start by marking “Plastic Jesus” as Want to Read:
Plastic Jesus

Plastic Jesus

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The 1960's brought Seth and Payton all they'd fantasized about--perfect friendships, a successful four-man band, and most importantly, each other. Together they embarked on a tour that brought them stimulating highs and shattering lows, and they prospered and suffered in one another's arms. The two men carried each other and carried a group that created both a history and ...more
Paperback
Published 2002 by Conrad (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Plastic Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic Jesus

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. StephensThe Mighty Storm by Samantha TowleBackstage Pass by Olivia CunningRock Hard by Olivia Cunning
Epic Rockstar Stories
408th out of 569 books — 2,040 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Books of 2000
154th out of 324 books — 164 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Beveridge
Jan 21, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Poppy Z. Brite, Plastic Jesus (Subterranean Press, 2000)

I tried not to be negatively influenced when reading Plastic Jesus by the fact that it is, essentially, a piece of fan fiction about one of the most ridiculously hyped, and the single most overrated, band in music history. Unfortunately, I don't think I succeeded.

Plastic Jesus is the story of the two founding members of a sixties rock sensation called the Kydds. (Oh, let's drop it. It's John and Paul. I mean, even the illustrations are... y
Gaëlle
Nov 11, 2015 Gaëlle rated it liked it
Depuis un moment je voulais lire du Poppy Z.Brite et puis un jour j'ai vu une copine lisant ce livre, la couverture psychédélique a attiré mon regard. Je lui ai demandé si elle pouvait me le prêter, je pensais commencer par lire "âmes perdues" mais pourquoi pas un registre différent.
C'est une romance, celle de deux amis musiciens qui montent un groupe qui deviendra l'un des plus célèbres du monde. Derrière Seth et Peyton, c'est Paul McCartney et John Lennon, "J'ai toujours pensé que le monde au
Kristin
Feb 11, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I'm probably bias, but my favorite author is Poppy, so anything by him gets 5 stars always.
Heidi
Dec 08, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
This book is a really nice and quick read. It's very refreshing to read in between other books. I enjoyed it!
Tahni
May 31, 2013 Tahni rated it it was ok
Alas, had I not just taken a writing class in which we've worked pretty intensively on critiquing I probably would have given this a third star. Mostly I left it feeling like there was more that could have been done (and that there are words that could be cut - thanks, Teacher, now I read books and want to slash out words).

Personally I'm not bothered by the retelling of the story of The Beatles - they did a lot that was fascinating and very inspiring for a writer, professionally and personally (
Dana
Nov 25, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Plastic Jesus is an off the beaten path tale of two men who form one of the most influential bands in the history of Rock and Roll, and fall in love...

I discovered this story years ago when I was in the height of my Beatles craze. Of course, the main characters in the book and the band names are all changed, but if you know anything about the Beatles, it is clear to see who the characters in this story are based on. This book was written as a what if story about John and Paul falling in love. I
Pauline
Jul 01, 2008 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-read
I loved this. It was my first book by Poppy Z. Brite, but I love her writing, direct and honest. The idea itself of the book might repulse some people (thinking it's just a fan work, and what is there to write about the Beatles that hasn't been written yet!) But it's more than that. It's about music, "sex, drug and rock n'roll" (all 3 in large doses, please!) but it's also about homesexuality and close-mindness, how we deal with such prejudice. And how it could have been changed, with what peopl ...more
Jim
Dec 04, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
Another great book by Poppy Z Brite. I always loved her books about the two young gay guys in New Orleans that grow up together and realize they are gay and love each other and then end up cooking together; Ricky and GMan. And I always thought it amazing that a women could so capture how a gay guy thinks but reading up on Poppy a biography says he now identifies as a gay male and his name is Billy Martin so now it does make sense. :-)
This is kind of a retelling of the John Lennon story but just
Tom Ratliff
Jul 04, 2015 Tom Ratliff rated it really liked it
Another New Orleans-set book. About a rock star and his problems.
Harper Kingsley
Oct 03, 2011 Harper Kingsley rated it really liked it
Based on the Beatles, I found this a very interesting "What if..." Wonderfully written, fairly short, and the edition I read had some pen-drawn illustrations.

A quick-read, it's one of those books that everyone should read once. If you like the Beatles anyway, and really wish that John and Paul could be more than friends. Though this isn't the Beatles, of course, this is Seth and Payton. Two guys that just seem very familiar.

If you don't like m/m, then this is not for you. If you do like m/m, thi
Kelley York
Sep 12, 2011 Kelley York rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves, own-digital
I wish I could give half-stars so this could get a 4 1/2.

Always love Poppy's writing. Yes, it's a story that makes more sense if you're familiar with Beatles history, but I don't think you'd have to be to enjoy it. My only real complaint is I wish it were a full-length novel rather than a novella.
Stephen Osborne
Mar 18, 2010 Stephen Osborne rated it really liked it
A sweet little novella that may infuriate some, as it is (by the author's own admission) a blatant re-telling of the Beatles story, only making John and Paul gay. If you get beyond that, though, there's a lot going on here...passion, love, and understanding.
Janet Brown
Oct 25, 2012 Janet Brown rated it it was ok
I've loved- adored, actually- everything else Brite has written but I was sorely disappointed with this. It seemed flimsy, lacking the gorgeous prose of Lost Souls or the beautiful written and believable characters of Liquor or Drawing Blood. A disappointment.
Wealhtheow
Jul 30, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-characters
Badly written novella about how a Paul McCartney and John Lennon are twu lubs and save the world through their sparkly gayness. Basically just published Beatles fanfic.
Chris
Feb 19, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, done, fiction, ebook, 2012
3.5 stars. Good short story about a band modeled on the Beatles, only the two main singer/songwriters are gay and together.
Kevin
Jun 15, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it
Shelves: indefensible
The premise -"what if the Beatles were gay?"- didn't have to be the stuff of shoddy fan-fiction, but here it is.
Holly Interlandi
Jun 28, 2007 Holly Interlandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: rockstars
I must admit I'm biased about this because it's a rockstar love story. I'm obsessed with rockstar love stories.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes science fiction
Recommended to Amanda by: no one
I really enjoyed this book. I especially remember the story of Satan in his cat form! <3
irene
Feb 22, 2009 irene rated it did not like it
Published (mediocre) fanfiction, basically.
Elizabeth /Karra
Elizabeth /Karra rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Sabasius
Sabasius rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Scott Collins
Scott Collins rated it did not like it
May 01, 2016
Sanzo
Sanzo added it
Apr 24, 2016
Michael Dodd
Michael Dodd rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Kittie Amber
Kittie Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Matt Zickefoose
Matt Zickefoose marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Joshua Lennon
Joshua Lennon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Ivyginny
Ivyginny marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Patrick McGreal
Patrick McGreal rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
  • Ready, Steady, Go!: The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London
  • Bosie: A Biography Of Lord Alfred Douglas
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Our Everlasting, Volume 02
  • The Mammoth Book of Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll
  • The Wilde Album: Public and Private Images of Oscar Wilde
  • J-Boy By Biblos
  • Butt Book
  • Pride/Prejudice: A Novel of Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and Their Forbidden Lovers
  • Smothered in Hugs: Essays, Interviews, Feedback, and Obituaries
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He
More about Poppy Z. Brite...