Start by marking “Everglades (Doc Ford, #10)” as Want to Read:
Everglades (Doc Ford, #10)

Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery #10)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,288 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Doc Ford returns to his stilt house on Dinkin's Bay to find an old friend and one-time lover waiting for him. Her real-estate developer husband has disappeared and been pronounced dead, and she's sure there's worse to follow-and she's right. Following the trail, Ford ends up deep in the Everglades, at the gates of a community presided over by a man named Bhagwan Shiva (for ...more
Published June 2nd 2003 by Putnam Adult (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Everglades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everglades

Chris
Apr 13, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another solid and electrifying Doc Ford novel, in which our intrepid marine biologist and former assassin (although, as we have learned, not so much former) is pulled into a plot by a New Age guru, Shiva, bent on turning a huge tract of the Everglades into a casino resort. A friend and former lover, Sally Carmel, as reached out to Doc for help, since her wealthy husband's disappearance, supposed death, and she feels like her life is now in danger. Doc agrees to help her find answers, along with ...more
Joyce
Jan 24, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc is out of shape and drinking too much. Tomlinson is Tomlinson. A woman Doc knew years earlier shows up at his house and tells him that her husband disappeared off a boat in the Atlantic and she would like proof of his death. She has hired a PI to investigate. She also tells him that her husband was involved with a charismatic Guru who is attempting to purchase a large section of the Everglades and join in with two different groups of Native Americans to open a huge Casino operation. That is ...more
Jonathan
Aug 19, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read the first half of this book over the course of two months while working a very physically demanding job outdoors in the summer. I then finished the second half in a little less than two weeks after the job was finished. This skews my perspective. Was the ending really that good? Maybe. The pace definitely picked up as the book went along.

Here's one thing I can say with absolute confidence about this book: It has a very strong storyline. From the start, you can tell it is all leading to a
Chris Bauer
Aug 18, 2014 Chris Bauer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my continuing quest to finish all the Doc Ford books by January, I just finished the tenth book in the series, "Everglades" and was impressed all around.

There are many things to comment on;

- Characters are rock solid, major and minor.
- Attention to detail is exquisite.
- Plot is completely awesome within the genre.
- The complexity of Doc Ford is always peeled away in a satisfactory manner.
- There was not overmuch guesswork in the book; but it was deeply satisfying.
- Randy Wayne White proves ye
Tom Long
Jan 25, 2012 Tom Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid product from RWW. Ambiance of life in a marina living in a stilt house. Check. People underestimating the mild-mannered scientist. Check. Damsel in distress. Check. Eccentric side kick. Check. Suspense and action. Check and check. Also typical for RWW is an occasional dip into puerile overly descriptive sexual situations. This is only a tiny fraction of the book. I just really enjoy it when an author gives me credit for my own imagination and eschews that kind of excess. RWW deftly ...more
Robert C. smith
Feb 16, 2015 Robert C. smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventure, History and More!

Author Randy White is a gifted story teller, able to blend historical facts, as well as many more true life details, with never ceasing adventure! As the hour grows late, it's tough to close the book even when there's a long work day ahead. Great characters, real descriptions of events, places and things, including all of the technical details. White is my benchmark of heat writing!
Dennis
Jun 05, 2015 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd Randy White book. I read them because they are excellent vacation books when I have visited southwestern Florida. These stories take place primarily take place or at least start in that part of Florida. i have found these books entertaining and informative about people and location. The books read quickly and I expect to read more of Randy White in the future.
Betsy Ashton
Mar 13, 2015 Betsy Ashton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ford is back getting into trouble with his hippy buddy Tomlinson. When an old lover shows up on Ford's doorstep, a new mystery filled with shadowy people, a cult leader bent on opening casinos in Florida, and murder and mayhem begins. Nothing in this book disappoints Randy Wayne White fans. Perfect for lying on a beach and flipping pages as quickly as you can.
Greg
Jan 10, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everglades" started a little slower than the previous Doc Ford novels, but nonetheless, it was worth it until the very last page. Randy Wayne White did not disappoint. In my opinion, this is a spin off story from "The Man Who Invented Florida". Some old characters reappear in this book, but not a lot of time spent with them at Dinkin's Bay marina. I would recommend this book to any of the Doc Ford fans out there. I am now beginning to understand why one reader posted, the best way to read the D ...more
Donna
Oct 19, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is scarily close to modern realities and cult mentality. It is also profound in the character development of Doc and Tomlinson. The quotes attributed to Tomlinson in the epilogue are quite beautiful and thought provoking. The book is also a very good and suspenseful thriller.
Ed
Oct 07, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#10 in the Doc Ford series.

#10 Doc Ford series - Meeting a former lover whose husband has disappeared and been pronounced dead, Doc Ford investigates the woman's suspicions of foul play and finds himself deep in the Everglades.
Chuck
Apr 16, 2015 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Mr. White writes compelling novels, but I like them for the excellent research behind them. His biology and history descriptions, details, and stories really add to the pleasure of reading his novels. This book was rich in both.
Dawn Reilley
The best parts were about the natural history and original residents of Florida. The author mentioned Cassadaga and mediums, so I had to research the town, which seems to be quite an interesting place.
Sabine
Nov 29, 2015 Sabine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having moved to the area, I simply loved discovering the Everglades and surroundings through the book. Researched a lot of the places and the facts. Ready to go explore some of them.
Annette
What fun to read this while we're in Everglades City!! We know so many of the locations and wish we could find his marina so we could stop by for a rum and soda with Key lime!
Ace
Apr 29, 2014 Ace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ford and Tomlinson are called into action when an old friend's husband falls off a boat and is presumed dead. But, the wife has doubts and does his life insurance company and so the tale begins. I enjoyed this from beginning to end.
Laurie
Jan 15, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still working my way through this series, very slowly! Love the Sanibel connections.
Chris
Jun 08, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: florida-fiction
Doc seems to be morphing into a Jason Bourne-Travis McGee hybrid. I'm okay with that.
Drew Danko
Feb 03, 2014 Drew Danko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed getting to know Dr. Ford and Tomlinson better. The author also employs the most imaginative ways of knocking off the bad guys. Fun read.
Shawn Rooney
Nov 03, 2014 Shawn Rooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I am a big fan of RWW, in particular of his Doc Ford novels. Everglades is one of my favorites as it presents a side of Ford we don't often see. He is struggling with his past which is causing internal conflict with who he believes himself to be. Ironically (or perhaps not), the villain in this novel is a religious cult leader who preys on those types of people. Will Doc fall victim or will he come to grips with WHAT he really is? I really enjoy reading Doc's adventures, and I especially enjoye
J.D.
Nov 10, 2015 J.D. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Eh....not my favorite Doc and Tomlinson excursion but OK.
Jan
Jan 02, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy, entertaining read
Lilian Najarian
May 29, 2015 Lilian Najarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendously exciting.
Rich Boyett

New age spiritualism and unrealistic airboat rides ( two panthers & a boat flippin' gator ) are not my cup of tea.
Richard Katz
Another fun, somewhat improbably Doc Ford novel. This one pairs Doc with the unbelievably likeable Tomlinson as they combat evil in the form of a corrupt would-be swami and his second, a former Mossad member. I am able to wave away the improbabability of it all and enjoy good plotting, terrific characters, and the fascinating backdrop of South Florida. Backdrop is too passive, for in White's tales, Florida has a pulse and a part to play.
Jack
May 13, 2010 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of Randy Whites earlier books in the Doc Ford series, in this novel he and an eclectic crew of odd ball friends start by searching for the swamp monster that inhabits the Everglades. An old girlfriend reappears and the crew ends up investigating her husbands disappearance, and the cult that he was involved with. Their are enough plot twists to keep you turning the pages with a ferver.
Linda
Nov 01, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining volume in the Doc Ford series.
David
Everglades by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2003)(Fiction - Mystery) is another installment in the Doc Ford mystery series which is set in South Florida. This tale features a real estate developer who has gotten involved with a mysterious religious guru. My rating: 6/10; finished 8/7/12.
Mar 20, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is also a top pick in the Doc Ford series. The historical information is particularly interesting in this one. I grew up in Florida and I still learn things about the state with each new RWW book. This really is an outstanding series - for newbies - start at the beginning (Sanibel Flats)!
Sherry
May 15, 2011 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Randy Wayne White novel. I read it while I was in Florida, so I almost felt I was in the middle of his scenes at time. The action scenes were well written, but I didn't get caught up in them or in the story itself. An "okay" book, but far from being one of my favorites.
  • Key West Connection
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Mango Opera
  • Scavenger Reef
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has
More about Randy Wayne White...

Doc Ford Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • The Man Who Invented Florida
  • Captiva
  • North of Havana
  • The Mangrove Coast
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Shark River
  • Twelve Mile Limit
  • Tampa Burn

“have always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a religion.   —GEORGE ORWELL, 1938” 2 likes