Start by marking “A Love Like Lilly” as Want to Read:
A Love Like Lilly

A Love Like Lilly

Bestselling author Kay Lynn Mangum is back with another young adult novel introducing two new, true-to-life stories brilliantly woven together. The action begins in the summer of 1985 after Grandma Lilly's funeral. Jamie (James to her friends) discovers her grandpa's old photo album from the 1930's and his wild days during the Depression. In it she discovers a little-known ...more
Published July 18th 2006 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Love Like Lilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Love Like Lilly

Jamie Hendrickson
May 27, 2010 Jamie Hendrickson rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. It made me cry a little at the end too! :) At first the grandpa's story was kinda boring, and I would rush through that part to make it back to Jamie, but then it started to draw me in, and I started getting involved in it. I think there was too much of the grandpa's story in it; I would have appreciated more of Jamie. And I like Kyle, I think better than Jason West, but, overall, The Secret Journal of Brett Coltonwas better than this book. I like to think that the title ...more
Londi
Sep 15, 2013 Londi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is probably a cutest love story I've ever read and it's not even really a love story. It's about a girl who asks her grandfather how he met her grandmother. She records all of the stories so that she can have them forever and it's just the sweetest story. I highly recommend this.
Kaylee Carter
May 24, 2016 Kaylee Carter rated it liked it
Shelves: books-1-10
"A Love Like Lilly" begins with Jamie at her grandmother's funeral. Her grandfather is terribly sad and needs help taking care of his wife's things. Jamie decides to live at her grandfather's for the summer to keep him company. She begins to ask him stories about his experience working at the Civilian Conservation Corps during the great depression when she finds a photo album with old pictures. He shares stories and she gets to learn about his life and how he met her grandmother. While learning ...more
Sarah Graham
May 24, 2015 Sarah Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-1-12
After her grandmother passes away at the start of summer, Jamie (James to her friends) elects to stay for the whole summer with her grandfather to keep him company and to help him cope. While she is there, her grandpa tells her stories from his teenage years during the Great Depression leading up to when he met her grandmother. His stories cover the work he did in the Civilian Conservation Corp to the dances he and his buddies snuck into on the weekends. As the summer continues, Jamie discovers ...more
Mommywest
May 29, 2015 Mommywest rated it really liked it
Though this novel is different than Kay Lynn Mangum's other books, I ended up loving it just as much. Based on the experiences of her grandfather's service in the Civilian Conservation Corps, Kay Lynn has written a wonderful tale of a granddaughter discovering more about her grandparents' lives as she discovers more about herself. As she spends the summer with her grandfather after her grandmother's death, Jamie records her grandpa's stories of his time in the CCC in the hopes that she'll learn ...more
Jana
Mar 25, 2008 Jana rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy it as much as "The Secret Journal of Brett Colton." This book seem too contrived at times by the author trying to tell her own grandfather's stories and weaving them into the book like the journal in her first book. It just didn't work as well. The book was still good, but I felt as though I was rushing through her grandpa's chapters to get back to the main story which was never really developed that well. I am not saying that her grandpa's stories weren't interesting. I just wish ...more
Nichole Wilde
This book is about a young girl named Jamie who goes to stay with her grandpa after her grandma dies. She comes to find out that her grandfather has started dating and at first she is very appalled. While she is staying there, she records stories from him about his work in the CCC and how he met her grandmother Lilly. She also tries to figure out her own relationship with her longtime best friend Kyle.
Kay Lynn Mangum is on of my favorite authors. I love her book Brett Colton's Secret Journal. Th
Shelby Ellsworth
Feb 15, 2016 Shelby Ellsworth added it
Shelves: 1-10
A Love like Lilly
After Jamie’s grandma passes away she discovers her grandpas old photo from the 1930’s around the time of the depression. In the album she finds out so much and about her grandparents and their love story. In the summer she hears stories from her grandpa, experiences jealousy when her grandpa starts dating again and the feelings she has about her childhood best friend Kyle.
This book is one of my favorites. I love hearing about the time of the depression and the love story be
Jenelle
Sep 26, 2009 Jenelle rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was so sweet and I just loved the characters right away. I love the way the author makes you feel apart of the story and how she makes you feel the emotion that the characters are. I don't think I felt so many different emotions with one book and the story kept me involved where I didn't guess what was coming next. Or maybe I already knew what was going to happen-because the story builds that way-but you don't worry about it because the author makes you live in the ...more
Debbie Williams
Jul 29, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
This book is about a young Jamie who was a tomboy and how she finds love and acceptance through the love of her grandfather. Her grandma, Lilly, passes away, and has left grandpa sad and lonely. She spends the summer with him to keep him company. Jamie finds an old photo album that opens up a whole world of stories that her grandpa tells her. They grow closer as they relive his and Lilly's past. When grandpa starts dating Anna, James doesn't love that idea! She is afraid that Anna will try to ...more
Sidney Davis
Jul 16, 2012 Sidney Davis rated it it was amazing
James spends the summer at her Grandpa Harold's after his wife Lilly passes away. During this time James and her grandpa grow closer together while he tells her stories of his past. At this time grandpa also starts dating a new lady named Anna. At first James doesn't like this, because she is afraid Grandpa Harold loves Anna more than he ever loved Lilly, but as she hears his stories she comes to find that no one will ever truly replace Grandma Lilly, and that every one deserves happiness.

Such a
Abbey
Dec 14, 2015 Abbey rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-13-25
This story is about a teenager named Jamie. Jamie's grandmother dies and Jamie finds herself talking to her grandfather about his childhood and previous years. She discovers a lot of things she didn't know about her grandparents or herself. She also has a crush on her childhood best friend, who unfortunately likes other girls.

I liked this story, but not as much as Mangum's other books. This story was based off of real events in Mangum's life, but it was a little bit stale. I would still recommen
mary Ethington
May 24, 2010 mary Ethington rated it really liked it
I liked this book for all the history it had in it. I liked the girl in it and the changes she went through. I do wish it would have had more of that, but i understand this book was really about the grandpa and what he went through. it could have went a little more in detail about their married years. I thought it was a good story and fun to read, however i found myself wanting more on the girl (can't remember her name right now) and Paul her "friend". Those were my favorite parts. I also liked ...more
Stephanie Mason
Mar 19, 2013 Stephanie Mason rated it liked it
Fifteen year old Jamie spends the summer with her grandfather after the death of her grandmother. Their bond is strengthened when Jamie finds an old scrapbook from his days as a member of the Conservation Corps. As he tells his young granddaughter about his experiences, she learns not only more about him, but about her grandmother. An enjoyable coming of age story as Jamie begins to change from a tomboy and the girl next door to a beautiful young woman and the heart throb of her long standing ...more
Alyssa Ruiz
Oct 09, 2008 Alyssa Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers.
Recommended to Alyssa by: Sis. Ishii
This book was amazingly written. I found it on a shelf at Ensign and had to have it because it is a Mangum book. I loved When the Bough Breaks so much and I couldn't wait for another book. A friend told me that it has a very different style than When the Bough Breaks. And it it is way different. This book contained so much 'old people' drama I laughed a lot; also cried. The title just says so much to me after reading it. Kind of like a mix between an oxymoron and irony.
Peggy
Jul 19, 2009 Peggy rated it liked it
While written in modern times, the story of an old man reminiscing of his time in the CCC is an integral part (perhaps the main part) of this story. While very educational, I almost felt like the 'education' was a bit forced If you like Kay Lynn Mangum's other books, you'll enjoy this one as well. There are a couple of overlaps of characters from the other books, but again, it seems forced and not really an important part of the story--just there for the benefit of her fans.
Mar 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I really did not like this book at all. It was like reading 2 books in one. There was the story about the main character and then just about every other chapter was a story about the CCC that the main character was being told by her grandfather in the story. I wanted it to have more romance and a lot less grandfather stories.I would only recommend it if you are interested in learning a little bit about the CCC camps that worked to restore things in Utah after the Great Depression.
Jana
Oct 18, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This book holds a special place in my heart because it takes place in Enterprise, which is probably my favorite place in Utah, and maybe the world. Just FYI the grainery discssed in the book is abandoned, but still standing. I didn't like this book as much as the others the first time I read it, but the second time I saw how beautiful and universal this story really is. I hope she writes more, soon.
Kari
May 24, 2011 Kari rated it really liked it
I really liked this book - partly because I grew up in the area the book refers to. I actually borrowed my mom's copy and she had replaced the characters names in the book for the real names. So for me it was really fun to read about people I knew and the town I grew up in. I thought it was a really fun, good book to read. It had parts that made me laugh out-loud. Would definately read again.
Katie
Apr 29, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
This book made me wish I had time and experiences like this with my Grandparents....and it definitely brought out some emotions tied to losing some loved ones in the past. I love the historic parts of it. I didn't know anything about the CCC organization in the 1930's, so I learned a lot while enjoying a good story.
Shelley
Feb 09, 2008 Shelley rated it liked it
Kayla
Jan 11, 2011 Kayla rated it really liked it
At first this book was really hard to get into for me. It's all about a young girl who's grandmother died and then she starts spending more time with her grandfather, learning more about him, and going through personal trials. I really liked it by the end though. I would recommend it probably for atleast a one time read.
Alyson
Aug 14, 2009 Alyson rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The reviews on Amazon weren't as great for this book, but I liked it. It was less of a fun teenage romance story (thus the complaints) and more of a girl's relationship with her grandfather. I really enjoyed the stories of her grandfather's life as he worked in the CCC camps during the great depression. It was touching story and helped me to value my own relationship with my grandmother more.
Jacquie
Jan 23, 2009 Jacquie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This story really hit close to home. The novel's main character spends a summer with her grandfather after her grandmother dies. She learns about his life as a member of the CCC during the great depression. He reminds me a lot of my own grandfather and his stories about WWII.
Julia Atkinson
Jul 17, 2009 Julia Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I am no young woman of coincidence. My great-grandmother died right before this book was brought into my life. Shortly after my great-grandfather remarried. I was also the only one in my family to accpet it wholely. It's hard to think about still, but this book helped me come to terms with it.
Katie
Feb 09, 2008 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: what-i-ve-read
I didn't really like this book. It talks about the CCC a lot and other programs created by FDR and I don't like those chapters. I think they're to dry and boring. I did however like the parts with Jamie and her life.
Angelina
Sep 27, 2011 Angelina rated it really liked it
I really liked how this book incorporated the author's "family stories" in a frame story about a more modern teenager. I loved how the stories about the past helped her find her way through the present, even though she didn't think they were.
Susan K
May 03, 2011 Susan K rated it liked it
A coming of age story, and history of this girls' grandfather's experiences in the CCC during the depression where he met her grandmother. Also her maturation and understanding of change in her life and her grandfather's.
Aubrey
Jul 26, 2011 Aubrey rated it liked it
Well, darn, I got bored with this one. It seemed like it was going in a good direction, but I had another book waiting for me that I was dying to read, so I just took this one back! So I guess I can't claim to have read the whole thing, but I read half!
Hailey
May 28, 2008 Hailey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens
I loved this book! Kay Lynn Mangum is an impossibly talented author. Her characters are flawed, almost to the point where I began to dislike them, but in the end I found my self entirely on their side. Her books are so real and easy to relate to.
  • Alone, Together
  • Counting Stars
  • First Day
  • Unsung Lullaby
  • To Catch a Falling Star
  • The Icing on the Cake
  • Winter Fire
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Finding Faith
  • Soul Searching
  • Time and Eternity
  • Finding Paradise
  • Grave Secrets
  • The Emerald (The Bracelet Series, #2)
Kay Lynn Mangum is the youngest of four children (one sister, two brothers), and has enjoyed reading and writing stories since her elementary school days. She has always dreamed of seeing her stories in print, and still can't believe her books are not only published, but that strangers actually buy her books and like them! Kay Lynn holds an associates degree from Dixie Junior College, and a ...more
More about Kay Lynn Mangum...