Start by marking “The Zone Diet” as Want to Read:
The Zone Diet

The Zone Diet

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The Complete Plan to Revolutionize Your Diet and Your Life THE ZONE is the revolutionary diet plan based on Nobel-prize winning research that has been adopted by celebrities including Madonna, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Demi Moore, Caprice Bouquet, Barry Mannilow, and more. Copies of Sears's books ENTER THE ZONE and MASTERING THE ZONE have sold more than 2 million copies. F ...more
Published September 9th 2011 by Thorsons (first published May 12th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Zone Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zone Diet

Brent
Jan 30, 2011 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
Here's the premise of The Zone: much of our health depends on how hormones and other chemical substances regulate the body. The two biggies are insulin and glucagon, and together they affect how we store fat. The easiest way for the average person to ensure optimal insulin and glucagon levels (and therefore a healthy weight and body fat percentage) is by eating a balanced diet consisting of macronutrient "blocks": lean protein, carbohydrates with a low glycemic index, and monounsaturated fat.

I'm
Lauren
May 09, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Sears explains the biochemistry of food and its effect on our bodies in an understandable way, and makes the reader re-think what we assume to be healthy eating habits. This book has changed the way I think about what I eat, and I feel better after incorporating some of his ideas into my diet. Following the Zone Diet to a T seems a little complicated, but Sears gets the reader to understand why it is important to follow, and the overall idea is very easy to put into practice.
Michael
Nov 17, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2016
Ignorance truly is bliss, though you might suffer terribly and die an early death, you won't be mentally fatigued with conflicting information from Vegetarians vs Paleo vs Wheat Belly vs The Zone vs your cholesterol levels (which may not even matter) vs The Primal Blueprint vs a myriad of other things you have to do every day that are called Life. I don't have the time to dissect or praise this book. Everything I would want or could say has already been said and debated in other reviews and comm ...more
Ianissimo Madonaldissimo
although he includes a substantial bibliography, Dr. Sears seems to conduct this book as more of an opinion piece than a scientific treatise. cones of feeling like a "trust me, this is real" rather than a "the research and science shows that this is fact." still, for the time this was fairly cutting-edge nutrition theory and has since been vindicated as solid research even if still not quite accepted theory. worth a read as part of one's overall research into nutrition theory.
Emal
Dec 26, 2016 Emal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is quite dated but the logic, facts and stats are all relevant. I started reading this book as a recommendation from the CrossFit community and found myself quite emerged in the science of food.

Full disclosure, you have to read this book because you want to, not because you have to.
Janice
Dec 04, 2016 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I just read the hightpoints....I think I got the gist to keep proteins/carbs/fat in proportion. The glycemic index is interesting.
Nov 25, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars because this book is poorly written. Agonizing to get through it. Eating in the zone is a lot of work but I've lost 40 pounds so it works :) I wonder if his other books are better?
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
This says it is a moderate protein, fat and carbohydrate diet book. At first I agreed with this statement and was a huge fan of this book. I thought the diet was pretty well balanced. But 2 years later my views are very different.

I now see this as a diet that is way too low in good fats, slightly too high in protein and that has far more carbohydrate in it than many of us need. The 11 blocks of carbs were too much for me, I felt just wrong eating that much.

I also now very strongly disagree with
Cindy
May 03, 2016 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sears makes a lot of circular arguments that don't really support his points. He throws in a lot of theories & facts, implying that they support his points, but which don't really do so. His theories could be absolutely correct, but his book does absolutely nothing to convince me.

Early on, Sears explains that eicosanoids are super-hormones that control the body's hundreds of hormonal systems, each system having two opposing hormones. He then labels eicosanoids as either good or bad, with man
Jay
Mar 19, 2009 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be mandatory reading for anybody interested in food science. Contains the background also to his work; in researching the possibility of some miracle-pill "micronutrient", Dr Sears discovers that macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate, fat) are far more powerful and key to healthy living. It also debunks the mistaken concept of calories, which are effectively meaningless, and focuses instead on the body's hormonal response to foods. One anecdotal and counter-intuitive example, a low-calori ...more
Melanie
Oct 13, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Billy
Ever since I met Billy and his family, I've been hearing about the Zone Diet and why they thought it was so good. I never gave it much thought either way. Sometimes they'd make certain recipes that were "in the Zone" and I thought they were tasty so I'd eat them. The Zone energy bars are yummy too. Anyway, I decided to finally read the book and really see for myself if this was something worth paying attention to or not. My interest was fueled by the fact that I've just had a third kid, I'm not ...more
Ivan
Oct 29, 2014 Ivan rated it liked it
I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to diets in general because it's such a huge industry. That being said I enjoyed the Zone, and when I followed it I was the leanest I'd ever been while preserving muscle, and I felt great. I made a few of my own slight modifications though. I had a cheat day once a week (thank you for the idea Tim Ferris and Bill Phillips) and I increased my daily protein intake, as I was trying to increase muscle mass.
For the negatives, I think it's going overboard trying to
Alex
Jul 18, 2011 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line: Eat carbs and fats in proper proportions to protein. Protein/Carbs should be .6 - 1.0, depending on your level of activity.

Carbs are carbs, and instead of focusing on refined sugars vs. complex carbs, you should focus on glycemic indeces (the speed at which the carb is broken down and enters your blood stream). The higher the glycemic index, the faster the carb enters the blood, and therefore the higher the resulting insulin spike. Insulin tells your body 1) not to release any fat s
Dorita
Apr 12, 2012 Dorita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
se trata de una dieta saludable, en la que no se pasa hambre y se aprende a equilibrar los alimentos.

Es un libro informativo con bases científicas acerca de las proporciones que debemos consumir según nuestra actividad física, proporciona métodos para calcular nuestro porcentaje de grasa corporal, de masa corporal magra, etc, para ayudar a calcular las necesidades proteicas que se necesitan de manera diaria, que se han de mantener en una cantidad de 30-30 y 40% en relación a las grasas y carbohi
Joe
Dec 06, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is quite interesting. I tried out the dieting principles, but I have grown more skeptical about the conclusions that he makes. They don't correspond to the way that food actually makes me feel. Lots of talk about glycemic index which is a big buzz word these days. Yet, glycemic index is not an objective measurement. It's a measurement based on a test subject or group of subjects. Food is so subjective though.

On a philosophical note, these is a problem with the question of universals. To
Misti
Mar 09, 2015 Misti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sometimes at a loss on how to rate a non-fiction, non-action book. So, although it brought me memories of all those college textbooks and was somewhat repetitive about the importance of eicosanoids, I found it very informative and useful. I took a class about this at my crossfit gym and began the diet and had a very good outcome with weight loss results. The book goes into the whole scientific process of decreasing inflammation in the body, plus it gives you recipes and tools to figure out ...more
Celeste
I give the book a 3, but the diet a 5... It seems a bit complicated at first, but it has definitely gotten me in better shape. I'm leaner, but not losing muscle mass (my strength has improved since starting it). And I definitely feel more energetic when I follow it strictly... The only problem is it can be hard. I have serious sugar cravings, and it's hard to get those under control sometimes. But few things worth doing are easy... I'd say it's definitely worth it overall, especially if you're n ...more
Mhinchley
Jan 25, 2016 Mhinchley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I found this to be an overly complicated read, which is interesting, considering Sears actually over simplifies the topic of nutrition. Nutrition is not as easy as he claims.

The book is full of 'scientific' discussions to give the illusion of credibility, but if you look a little deeper, there is no evidence to support Sears' claims. The book is full of emotive promises, bad science, and unsound nutritional messages.

Not a book or a diet I would recommend. For a full review of The Zone diet, vis
Dave Peticolas

The first book about the Zone diet, by Barry Sears. This was the first diet book I read and it blew my mind. I tried it out and quickly lost 20 pounds and felt much better (vastly improved concentration). I don't follow the Zone as rigorously as I used to, but I still pretty much stick with it.

Sears has launched a website with additional information as well as food products with the 40-30-30 carbohydrate-protein-fat ratio recommended by the Zone diet.

In particular, the Zone Bars are pretty good,

Grandma Judy
Oct 12, 2008 Grandma Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He talks about ketosis from eating high protein and low carbs, which is not good for your body. Also talks about the workings of the inner body & diseases. Good info. He is rather strict, tho, in saying that everyone should eat a protein: carb ratio of 3:4, and doesn't take into account the differences in bodies, but overall has the right idea, I think. You just need to listen to your own body and adjust the ratio to suit your bodies' needs. I don't think he mentions that eating a vegetarian ...more
Iliyana
Nov 03, 2014 Iliyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книгата е написана много добре и всичко е обяснено лесно и изпълнимо. Голям брой мои познати ми препоръчаха тази диета, която всъщност не е диета, а начин на живот, като безкрайно ефективна. И всички научни данни предполагат това наистина да е така. Макар да се оказа, че това не е моят режим на хранене, се възползвах от някои доста приложими и приятни съвети и рецепти. Препоръчвам да прочетете, заедно с „Ние и зоната“, където пък има чудни рецепти.
Bill Donhiser
This book was a gift. Some of the science was ok. My undergraduate degree is in Physiology (graduate studies in Endocrinology) and I could understand where the author was going. For the layperson this book is practically worthless and makes a lot of claims that it would be hard to back up scientifically. The basic content is fine just some of the claims as to what this diet can cure are quite farfetched. Better advice than some other diet books.
Adriana
Feb 02, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: adriannaa@gmail.com
I read this book because I had a friend who was unhealthy and wanted to take off some weight. Unfortunately she is not much of a reader and the book remained on her shelf. I told her I would read it with her and together we would help her with the weightloss. It turns out she was lazy to do that as well. But I wasn't. I applied it to my own life and while I did not need to lose weight at the time, I did feel healthier. Stronger. My body felt right. I was truly suprised at the results.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Este libro me convenció: la comida hay que tratarla como un goteo continuo de una medicina. Una vez que comes de manera correcta, tu cuerpo llega a su equilibrio. Este equilibrio no es necesariamente el ideal de la modelo flaca de las revistas (de hecho, en mi caso no lo es ni de lejos), pero estas sano, tienes más energía y pierdes la constante angustia de estar ganando peso y no poder hacer nada para evitarlo. Un libro valioso y muy útil que todas deberíamos leer y aprovechar.
Jesse Hertz
Jun 30, 2015 Jesse Hertz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book full of information. may be a little science heavy for those just looking for instructions on what to do. the zone diet system of using blocks makes keeping track of macros super easy and awakens you to portion sizes. the best part, you never feel hungry. I often have trouble reading enough. yes I said the meals are often very voluminous and filling. all while losing weight and feeling all around better.
Heather Hansen
Sep 28, 2008 Heather Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how to manage your weight for the rest of your life... this will help you. I refer to this book all the time. It may be too scientific for some, but at least you will understand how carbs work in your body and why in excess they make you gain weight!! How much food do you eally need to eat in a day. Yes, Veggies are im portant, and not all veggies are created equal!

Brian
Jan 12, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills-how-to
Big for crossfitters, I read to learn more about the hype. It's a good alternative to Paleo. Probably closer to what would actually work for me. The author makes a good attempt to simplify what is a very complex set of recommendations, but I still left the book thinking that following the plan outlined would be too much work.
Joy Sterrantino
Dec 22, 2008 Joy Sterrantino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I haven't started yet, but the science behind it is really convincing. The premise is that food can be used like a prescription drug is used, to elicit a desired outcome. Using food in the proper way can keep a person in "the zone" permanently- that place that athletes sometimes get when their endorphines kick in. If it works, it would be worth staying on this plan.
Andrew
The workout I do (crossfit) is a big advocate of Sears' diet. For that reason I checked out the book. The author makes some pretty outrageous claims, but on the whole I agree with his basic premise (low carbs, low calories, make up the rest with protein and fat). I don't think I'm going to throw myself into "The Zone" yet, but I'm going to factor some of his ideas into "The Bair" diet.
Jeff Roth
Oct 27, 2014 Jeff Roth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking, useful science on food/nutrition. Aids me in eating healty. A new way of looking at food though I find the social and cultural traditions of eating still important and worth engaging in.
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
  • The Fat Flush Plan
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • The 5 Factor Diet
  • Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
  • Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About
  • Eating Well for Optimum Health
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems

“Luckily, you don't have to inject growth hormone to burn fat and build muscle. All you have to do is train anaerobically. But you do have to understand that you only begin to exercise anaerobically when you are at levels in excess of 90 percent of your maximum heart rate. This is pretty hard work. It's also why world-class sprinters and swimmers are heavily muscled and at the same time very lean—they train anaerobically.” 1 likes
“To be genetically correct, man needs a modern version of a Neo-Paleolithic diet, a diet that's based on his current genetic makeup. That's exactly what a Zone-favorable diet is: a diet that is synergistic with mankind's genetic structure, which has changed very little in the last 100,000 years.” 1 likes