Start by marking “The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus” as Want to Read:
The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus

The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the crossing of the Bering Land Bridge over 20,000 years ago to the arrival of the Europeans, this classic picture book paints the early discoveries of America in grand strokes. The text is useful for both the classroom and at home as it combines beautiful landscape illustrations with factual features: maps, timelines, chronological tables, and easy-to-use appendixes....more
Published April 20th 1992 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 1991)

Rachael
If you are a teacher and looking for a social studies book that contains almost all the people involved in finding America, then this book is for you! Oh my goodness! "the discoveries of the Americas" is FULL of information. So full that you would most likely have to split up the reading by topics. From the ice age all the way to Amerigo Vespucci, this book is all you need for an American history project. The pictures in this book make it more suited to younger readers as well. I would definitel...more
Heather
We finished this today - it took us 4 days. Overall I think this is a great book. It provides a brief overview of the explorers who 'discovered' America (both North and South). The pictures are beautiful and the maps of each explorer's voyage(s) were well done. We went upstairs to our big map and traced the voyages there to help them with geography a bit more.

At the beginning of the book there's a page or two about the first people coming to America from Asia over a land bridge. I discussed with...more
Leon Gray
SS4H2 The student will describe European exploration in North America.
a. Describe the reasons for, obstacles to, and accomplishments of the Spanish, French, and English explorations of John Cabot, Vasco Núñez de Balboa, Juan Ponce de León, Christopher Columbus, Henry Hudson, and Jacques Cartier.
b. Describe examples of cooperation and conflict between Europeans and Native Americans.

An enjoyable read with pictures describing and illustrating America before European exploration and the discovery of...more
Charity (CJ)
I read this aloud to my children in one sitting. It's a lovely, succinct overview of the many voyages people have taken to North and South America throughout the ages. I like how the Maestros put the journeys in perspective by including prehistoric travels from Asia to North America. This was a great addition to my daughter's history lesson about the voyages of discovery of the 15th and 16th centuries.
Julesmarie
This is exactly the time period of the Americas that I cover with my students, so this book is a delightful resource. I especially appreciate the images of Beringia, and of the earliest Americans learning to plant crops.
Brayton
The nomads traveled from place to place in the ice age. When the food ran out, they started farming. The Maya built pyramids in central america. People from England and Spain started traveling to the Americas.
Jessica
A good review of firsts in America from Columbus on. Very colorful pictures. Good for individual researchers too. Not a read aloud but strong informational text with sequence and description.
Deborah Harris

Prehistory - Columbus. Good book to use in the classroom and for vocabulary
Rebecca Reid
perfect for my needs!
Evita
Evita marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Jessics Jones
Jessics Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Raimund
Raimund marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Before beginning her career in children's books, Betsy Maestro was a teacher. Her first book with Giulio Maestro was A Wise Monkey Tale published in 1975, and since then they have collaborated on more than one hundred books. Their on-going American Story series began with the highly acclaimed The Discovery of the Americas and continues to help young readers understand and appreciate our nations hi...more
More about Betsy Maestro...
Why Do Leaves Change Color? How Do Apples Grow? A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution The Story of the Statue of Liberty Coming to America : The Story of Immigration