Start by marking “Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out” as Want to Read:
Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out

Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Who will lead America in the years to come? Letters from Young Activists introduces America's bold, exciting, new generation of activists. These diverse authors challenge the common misconception that today's young people are apathetic, shallow, and materialistic. Aged ten to thirty-one, these atheist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, pagan, transgender, heterosexual, bisexual, ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Nation Books (first published October 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Young Activists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Young Activists

Ciara
May 10, 2009 Ciara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: REALLY young activists, teachers perhaps, people with more patience than me
i guess i should have known better than to try to read this book. i am going through a phase where i am really annoyed by a lot of stuff that is by/geared for "young activists". not because i am so incredibly elderly at age 29, but i am definitely at a life stage where i don't think i fit into the "young activist" template anymore, & i am growing increasingly self-aware & critical of the some of the dumb shit i said/did/espoused during my "young activist" time. this book kind of collecte ...more
Catherine Sandoval
LOVED this book! it's exciting, thoughtful, and raw in the ways these activists describe their struggles within struggles, movements. and the joys, thrills of being involved, and the sacrifices, etc. it's also much more than this, and some describe the issues they had within institutions they belong(ed) in. and the book varies in age of activists who tell their stories - one is a story written by a 6 year old. beautiful.
hilaryhail
A lot has evolved in 9 years. On point, though I had hoped for more on sustainable practices and/or spirituality. Maybe the next edition...
Wendy
The very unevenness of this anthology is what makes it so lovely. The writers range from brilliant 11-year-olds to think-they're-brilliant late-twenty-somethings, but overall, it's an engrossing trip into youth activism at the dawn of the 21st century.
Alex
This is a wonderful collection of essays written by the activists and organizers of my generation (and slightly older). The letters cover a wide range of topics and themes, but my favorite essay was by Sarah Stillman, about making feminism political again.
Malena
This book makes me want to go out and work with these young people to better the world. It is a compialation of letters from young people about their perspectives on various political issues. It is funny, sad, and interesting.
Bill
Sep 26, 2007 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of Activists
Shelves: activism
This book is almost cute when it talks about the Movement (yes, capital M), but the letters themselves are completely worthwhile--a great cross-section of what's going on in the world of Left Wing Activism.
Scott
Some of these pieces came off as masturbatory, self-congratulatory and on the "activist points" spectrum. Some of the others are fabulous essays by activists my age (including a dear friend of mine).
Ben
Aug 14, 2008 Ben is currently reading it
I received this book for my birthday, and I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would. A very cool project, bringing all of these activists together in a single volume.
Bridgette Bissonnette
Jul 22, 2008 Bridgette Bissonnette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all activists
Recommended to Bridgette by: Nell:)
It's a collection of essays; some amazing! Check out a certain essay from a certain girlfriend of mine:) Also, Kenyon Farrow's essay to Condoleezza Rice. My faves.
Amanda
Nov 03, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jillian Treacy, Adam Stone, Bobby Cox, Suzanne Feinspan, Nancy Haque
Recommended to Amanda by: Marc Rodrigues
I couldn't put this book down. Of course, some sections are better than others, but the whole thing is an inspiring and exciting read.
beauregard
re-reading, cherishing the pieces written by gabriel olga khougaz sayegh, nell hirschman-levy, stephanie guilloud, kat aaron, others...
Najah.farley
my essay is in here. so i'm biased. but all of the essays are phenomenal...
Kenyon
Jul 18, 2008 Kenyon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the co-editor so I think it's fab.
Stephanie Sugars
Stephanie Sugars marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Chris Swart
Chris Swart marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Anne Sheridan
Anne Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Kat Apple
Kat Apple marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Mailé!
Mailé! is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Noémi
Noémi marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Joe Phillips
Joe Phillips marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Caitlin Armer
Caitlin Armer is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Chad Montabon
Chad Montabon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alana Sagittarius
Alana Sagittarius marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Art of Influencing Crowds 1 4 Oct 19, 2010 06:45PM
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice
  • Revolution at Point Zero: Housework, Reproduction, and Feminist Struggle
  • A Taste of Power: A Black Woman's Story
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • Classified: How to Stop Hiding Your Privilege and Use It for Social Change!
Outlaws of America: The Weather Underground and the Politics of Solidarity The Hidden 1970s: Histories of Radicalism The Struggle Within: Prisons, Political Prisoners, and Mass Movements in the United States Captive Nation: Black Prison Organizing in the Civil Rights Era North American Wine Routes: A Travel Guide to Wines and Vines, from Napa to Nova Scotia