Start by marking “Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out” as Want to Read:
Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out

Letters from Young Activists: Today's Rebels Speak Out

Who will lead America in the years to come? Letters from Young Activists introduces America's bold, exciting, new generation of activists. These diverse authors challenge the common misconception that today's young people are apathetic, shallow, and materialistic. Aged ten to thirty-one, these atheist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, pagan, transgender, heterosexual, bisexual, ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Nation Books (first published October 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Young Activists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Young Activists

Ciara
May 10, 2009 Ciara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: REALLY young activists, teachers perhaps, people with more patience than me
i guess i should have known better than to try to read this book. i am going through a phase where i am really annoyed by a lot of stuff that is by/geared for "young activists". not because i am so incredibly elderly at age 29, but i am definitely at a life stage where i don't think i fit into the "young activist" template anymore, & i am growing increasingly self-aware & critical of the some of the dumb shit i said/did/espoused during my "young activist" time. this book kind of collecte ...more
Catherine Sandoval
Jan 03, 2015 Catherine Sandoval rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! it's exciting, thoughtful, and raw in the ways these activists describe their struggles within struggles, movements. and the joys, thrills of being involved, and the sacrifices, etc. it's also much more than this, and some describe the issues they had within institutions they belong(ed) in. and the book varies in age of activists who tell their stories - one is a story written by a 6 year old. beautiful.
Hilary
Nov 15, 2014 Hilary rated it liked it
A lot has evolved in 9 years. On point, though I had hoped for more on sustainable practices and/or spirituality. Maybe the next edition...
Wendy
May 12, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
The very unevenness of this anthology is what makes it so lovely. The writers range from brilliant 11-year-olds to think-they're-brilliant late-twenty-somethings, but overall, it's an engrossing trip into youth activism at the dawn of the 21st century.
Alex
Aug 13, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful collection of essays written by the activists and organizers of my generation (and slightly older). The letters cover a wide range of topics and themes, but my favorite essay was by Sarah Stillman, about making feminism political again.
Haley Direnzo
Dec 09, 2015 Haley Direnzo rated it really liked it
Inspiring and filled with knowledge of movements and social change from years prior, but also beautifully written and weaved together. Many of the letters are poetic and feel as if the writers are speaking directly to you.
Malena
Jul 17, 2010 Malena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book makes me want to go out and work with these young people to better the world. It is a compialation of letters from young people about their perspectives on various political issues. It is funny, sad, and interesting.
Bill
Sep 26, 2007 Bill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of Activists
Shelves: activism
This book is almost cute when it talks about the Movement (yes, capital M), but the letters themselves are completely worthwhile--a great cross-section of what's going on in the world of Left Wing Activism.
Scott
Apr 01, 2008 Scott rated it liked it
Some of these pieces came off as masturbatory, self-congratulatory and on the "activist points" spectrum. Some of the others are fabulous essays by activists my age (including a dear friend of mine).
Ben
Aug 14, 2008 Ben is currently reading it
I received this book for my birthday, and I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would. A very cool project, bringing all of these activists together in a single volume.
Bridgette Bissonnette
Jul 22, 2008 Bridgette Bissonnette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all activists
Recommended to Bridgette by: Nell:)
It's a collection of essays; some amazing! Check out a certain essay from a certain girlfriend of mine:) Also, Kenyon Farrow's essay to Condoleezza Rice. My faves.
Amanda
Nov 03, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jillian Treacy, Adam Stone, Bobby Cox, Suzanne Feinspan, Nancy Haque
Recommended to Amanda by: Marc Rodrigues
I couldn't put this book down. Of course, some sections are better than others, but the whole thing is an inspiring and exciting read.
beauregard
Feb 12, 2009 beauregard rated it it was amazing
re-reading, cherishing the pieces written by gabriel olga khougaz sayegh, nell hirschman-levy, stephanie guilloud, kat aaron, others...
Najah.farley
Sep 09, 2007 Najah.farley rated it it was amazing
my essay is in here. so i'm biased. but all of the essays are phenomenal...
Kenyon
Jul 18, 2008 Kenyon rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the co-editor so I think it's fab.
Emily Mccann
Emily Mccann is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Addyson Frattura
Addyson Frattura marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Alena Tobar
Alena Tobar marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Steven-Emmanuel Martinez
Steven-Emmanuel Martinez rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Faisal
Faisal marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
E
E added it
Feb 14, 2016
Jerod Duris
Jerod Duris marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
The Art of Influencing Crowds 1 4 Oct 19, 2010 06:45PM
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
  • Revolution in the Air: Sixties Radicals Turn to Lenin, Mao and Che
  • Detroit: I Do Mind Dying: A Study in Urban Revolution
  • Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail
  • Red Emma Speaks
  • Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
  • Classified: How to Stop Hiding Your Privilege and Use It for Social Change!
  • Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman