Start by marking “Oso polar, oso polar, ¿qué es ese ruido?” as Want to Read:
Oso polar, oso polar, ¿qué es ese ruido?

Oso polar, oso polar, ¿qué es ese ruido? (Bill Martin's Bears #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  44,348 Ratings  ·  560 Reviews
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? is the companion book to the classic Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Bill Martin's simple, rhythmic text invites young listeners to chant along with the sounds of the animals in the zoo, from braying zebras to trumpeting elephants. Eric Carle's vibrant and imaginative illustrations are the perfect match for the playful tex ...more
Published November 15th 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 28th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Oso polar, oso polar, ¿qué es ese ruido?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oso polar, oso polar, ¿qué es ese ruido?

D. Pow
Jul 30, 2009 D. Pow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brendan-s-shelf
The key to reading this one out loud is getting into character as the animals. You've got to roar like a lion, growl like a polar Bear and hiss like a Boa Constricter. You've got to commit, go Old school Stanislavski like a young Brando. Be the frigging snake. Be the Bear. little Ones Dig it. And when you are phoning in the performance they will know that too. THEY WILL MAKE YOU PAY. So don't phone it in.

I think one key to Carle's success is his his wonderfully inventive and eye-pleasing palette
Brad
5 stars for Eric Carle's art.
1 star for Bill Martin Jr.'s words.
= a grudging average of 3 stars.

I tried, D. I fully committed to the animals, man. I was like Robert deNiro shooting heroin for Raging Bull. I gained weight to play the purple walrus (how the hell am I going to lose it?). I painted myself with gentian violet, grew a handlebar mustache, jammed a couple of carrots under my lip and flopped around grunting.

I poured honey all over myself and rolled in flour to play the titular Polar Bear
Jazzmarie Vedrine
This book is exciting to read and while reading, you may find that the characters of the animals create a rhythmic sound. You could easily create a melody or make this book into your own sing-a-long that will engage the children into the characters and movement of these zoo animals. The words written on each page are catchy, easy to read and easy to remember for young children. Another thing is the bold colors and the different designs and shapes of these animals.

CREATIVE EXPERIENCE:
One of the
Michaela
Apr 23, 2012 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Is a fabulous book for getting children used to rhythmic words. I have read this book lots of time to children and they always enjoy repeating the story with me. It is very good in encouraging drama and role-play skills; I have used it in a cross-curricular way incorporating it in a PE lesson getting the children to pretend that that they are the different animals in the story, and to move around like them. The pages in the story are mostly taken up by s ...more
Kat
Jul 28, 2012 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic plot: animals and the sounds they make.

Ok, Eric Carle's art is interesting, but I don't find it to be phenomenal. There are some good words in the text to describe the sounds animals make, but they are hard to reproduce when reading to a small child if you've never actually heard the sounds in question. Matter of fact, I would have rated this a solid 2 and moved on, BUT... my son picked up on the pattern of the pages and started chiming in to read the story with me after just a few pages.
Amy
I grabbed this because I was doing story time and Brown Bear was missing.

Pro-tip do not take this into storytime unless you know what a flamingo and a peacock sound like.
Melissa
E: "I don't like how it's kind of like a song."
Jaylyn
May 09, 2015 Jaylyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal Reaction: A great beginners books! Another one of my favorite books growing up, I believe these types of beginners books are awesome because they have lasted for so many years that it makes me as a teacher really want to have students read them. Students anywhere from 4 to 5 or 6 would enjoy this book.

Reading in groups: This book could be fun to read in a group because it is asking a question. This could get the students involved and have them asking their neighbor what they think the P
Heather
If my 2-yr-old rated this he'd give it a 5. But he can't type so I'm giving it a 3. Love the illustrations. The "hear" part was a bit weird for me - "I hear a boa constrictor hissing at me", or whatever animal making whatever noise. Weird, but I can deal. I can't deal with the end. I hate it. The zookeeper then hears all these kids making the animal noises and they're dressed up like the animals, sort of. It's freaky. And my son looks at those strange kids and wonders what the heck they're doing ...more
Kirran
Dec 09, 2012 Kirran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a range of zoo animals and their distinctive sounds.The polar bears can hear a roaring lion. The lion can hear a hippopotamus snorting in his ear.The hippopotamus can hear a flamingo fluting in his ear. The flamingo can hear a zebra braying in his ear. The sounds are being imitated by the children for the zoo keeper.

This book is ideal for nursery children.It is repetitive and contains rhyme.The text is very simple so it is easy for the children to memorize it. The book also p
Lori Nii-amassah
I believe “Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?” is a book that all children will love. The colors used are vibrant and eye catching. With each new animal introduced, the same question is repeated. Children can participate by asking the question and making the animal sounds.

You could extend this book by having the children work together to put story pieces in the correct order according to the book.
Courtney
Caleb has been reading this in preschool so we have obtained a copy for ourselves. What can I say it is Bill Martin? I love his work!!! It is simple, easy to read, and both my children love him. I read him when I was growing up and I am sure my grandchildren will be as well. You can take so much from these books just besides reading but art crafts, but cooking and other fun things to do.
Annette Taylor-james
In this book the children love to make the sound of each animal, it teaches language skills and motor skills we pretend to be all the animals in the book roaring and stomping and all the other actions and sounds that goes with each animals. We did our own adaptations.
Jennifer Hadley
Aug 29, 2016 Jennifer Hadley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-learning
This is a nice book for pre-k classrooms. It teaches about the animals noises. It has great repetition so that the students can join in on the reading. The illustration are nice and colorful, as well. Children will love to memorize this one and read it over and over again!
Hope
Jun 11, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, listening
This Bill Martin Jr. Is great for working with young children's listening skills! I have always enjoyed reading this story in a soft, quiet voice so that the children can focus on what they're hearing and need to listen for in the story's sequence.
Aaliyah
Sep 26, 2015 Aaliyah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaliyah requested that we read, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," so I got this book, and, "Baby Bear, Baby Bear," too. She loves them all! :)
Shannon
Jul 23, 2008 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chidderbooks
It's weird that me of the past rated Brown Bear 5 stars and this one 2 stars. Guess you don't fuck with a classic.
Megan O'Hea
Feb 11, 2017 Megan O'Hea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This is the perfect book to captivate the attention of preschoolers. Page by page, it discusses different animals and the noises they make. It is further animated as the narrator asks each animal what they hear and they reply by saying that they hear a certain animal making their own noise (e.g. "I hear a lion roaring in my ear"). This makes this a great book if one is interested in teaching a child/children about the different noises animals make. It culminates with the zookeeper sayin ...more
Susan Erhardt
It's amusing that the book description says that children will make the animal sounds, because no. No, they won't. No kid knows what a flamingo sounds like. I don't either. I like the book, but I should have researched animal sounds before reading it so I could have demonstrated what a hippo, zebra, flamingo, etc sound like.
Hannah Heverling
Jan 22, 2017 Hannah Heverling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book extremely cute. It was simple and a good read for young children learning how to associate pictures with the writing. The illustrations were beautiful and the ending was very special and added a wow factor touch. I will certainly read this book to my future students and would highly recommend it to anyone.
Jessica Javier
Nov 06, 2016 Jessica Javier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
This is a fun interactive book about the animals in the zoo and the sounds they make. It's a great vocabulary builder, since it uses words that small kids may not hear every day. The book is quite enjoyable for kids who like animals, and not at all scary. Great book forr children to know thee sounds of animals. Great book sizes. great pictures.
Lauren Bourget
Once again, this is another classic that I will always love. Very good for the classroom when learning the sounds of animals. And that is exactly what I would use it for in the future. It's just kind of a fun way to get the kids active, and maybe even have them guess the noises while reading the book out loud.
J
Jan 06, 2017 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to a 4k group. One child immediately made the association with Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? We had a lot of fun with this book. The kids got so excited I had to calm them down in order to keep reading at one point. Great book.
Kristi Harris
Feb 19, 2017 Kristi Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and interactive book about the animals in the zoo. This book is a great vocabulary builder. Very enjoyable book for children who love animals. It also helps children with learning different animal names.
Kalynda
Dec 28, 2016 Kalynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear..." the repetitive text is a great picture book for early readers, and as a read aloud, to build fluency. The topic, animals, is always a win, both with interest and an opportunity for the teacher to hear so much background knowledge.
Lindsey Duncan
Feb 15, 2017 Lindsey Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very colorful and has great images for students. This book has a lot of repetition. This would be great for students who are just starting to read. This book also teaches animals and their sounds.
Annie Payne
Jan 27, 2017 Annie Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! However, I was not able to make all of the sounds. We sure had fun trying, though! Great for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers!
Allie Reitzell
I can use this book to discuss animals and the different sounds they make.
Daniela
Jan 23, 2017 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-picture-books
This book is a great way to introduce animals and their sounds to kids. Parents can connect to this book by giving voices to the different animals. The amount of writing on each page suggest that this book would be perfect for pre-K to first graders. The illustrations are large and eye-catching.
Jesse
  • Mouse Paint
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Hello, Day!
  • Pajama Time!
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? (Brown Bear and Friends)