Start by marking “Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Chang” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Secrets of Six-Figure ...

Barbara Stanny

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Quietly and steadily, the number of women making six figures or more is increasing and continues to rise at a rate faster than for men. From entrepreneurs to corporate executives, from white-collar professionals to freelancers and part-timers, women are forging careers with considerable financial success. In "Secrets of Six-Figure Women," Barbara Stanny, journalist, motiva ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Six-Figure Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Six-Figure Women

Erin
Good book -- I initially thought I'd just skim it as a quick-and-easy self-help book, but it actually offers a substantial amount of material that prompts self-reflection, as well as useful references to other material.

This book is as much about developing and projecting belief in oneself as it is about earning power, and it's as applicable to men who may also fall into the "under-earner" trap. The author notes that "under-earning" doesn't necessarily mean low-pay but really means earning less
Mary
I gave this only 4 stars, instead of 5, because I didn't think it was the best written book I've come across. However, I found the content to be really valuable. This is not the book for the unmotivated woman, however, because success and happiness are derived from your own efforts and there actually isn't a "secret"to anything. The biggest secret is what you are capable of doing.

Early on, I found myself realizing that up to about a year ago I definitely had the mindset of an under earner. But
Ashley
Mar 03, 2012 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman
This was a great read! Stanny starts by explaining that more women than ever are becoming high earners chiefly due to the fact that they were absent in the workforce for so long. She next turns to the issue of underearners - women who don't believe or who are unwilling to ask for what they are truly worth. To highlight her point she asks, "How can we ever expect to earn as much as a man if we can't even earn as much as we ourselves are capable of making?" However, there's a raging double standar ...more
Brittany (lemondrop)
Sonya
I really enjoyed this book! Especially when she described the traits of an "underearner." A lot of times, your income doesn't really change until your attitude towards money changes. Once upon a time, I was a compulsive spender... I could have saved but I didn't because I grew up in a household where holding onto money was viewed as somewhat selfish and greedy. My parents spent every nickel and dime to raise 4 girls on less than blue collar salaries. I realized I was doing the same thing. I didn ...more
Kristina
Engulfed this book. Motivating, but so hard to see it as being realistic...I sincerely wonder how many of the women interviewed are still "Six-Figure Women" in today's economic climate.
Cathy Allen
So I was 44 years old and deep in debt when Suze Orman finally got my attention and convinced me that my financial security was my responsibility. Six years later I have savings, a retirement account, and no debt. Thank you Suze.

But it was Barbara Stanny who showed me that the adjustments I needed to make were not all on the expenses side of the ledger... I was a chronic UNDEREARNER... I was not making what I was worth. Worse, I wasn't even trying.

Sometimes people need a kick in the head to do
Ruth
Her strategies on negotiation and asking for more were quite helpful, but this book was filled with a lot of fluff. Hoping to find better books out there on financial literacy and improving ones relationship with (and giving up shame around) money
Becki Iverson
I absolutely loved this book. It has amazing advice for everyone, not just women, in overcoming the mental blocks that prevent them from realizing their true high earning potential. Stanny's separation of people into two categories - 'underearners' and 'six figure women' - is a clear way to provide contrast between the two, and many of the items she lists as inhibitive are items that every person faces; whether they overcome them or not is up to them.

Secrets of Six Figure Women is provocative,
Sal-vation
Pretty good read, but nothing as gender-specific as the title suggests. Work hard, be confident in your hard work, and charge for it. It could have just as easily been "Secrets of Six Figure Salaries."
Lychee
Gave me a lot of food for thought wrt my relationship with money and career. Did most of the suggested exercises (primarily in the beginning of the book) and was fascinated by the exercise in finding out what your pay ceiling is. As I imagined earning the various amounts, I was impressed with how my vision of my life changed,especially wrt philanthropy and having a sense of a mission. Will likely read her other books and possibly even re-read this one in the next few years -- not so much for spe ...more
Denise
Bought it back when I was making that sort of money, knowing it was going to be short-lived. (I was right.) Gives some good, practical advice -- some of it things that women aren't used to hearing, I'm guessing, even today.

The author's interviews with 6-figure women (and their underearning counterparts) make the advice more human than a simple "how-to" book. They also provide fodder for thinking about balance. There's nothing magical here; everything is a tradeoff. (Not my experience, entirely,
Ela
Great book. Gives you enormous insight into regaining your own power, becoming a woman who knows how to speak up and ask for what she wants.
April
This was a great book for women (that men could also learn from) that really makes you question your relationship with money. I really liked the tone of the book; the author researched a lot or subjects (women), talks about commonalities between them, as well as sharing stories from individual women. Occasionally, she offers her own experiences and thoughts on her discoveries, but it's offered in a very genuine and relevant way. I really liked that, given how many finance books try to push their ...more
Cheryl
Great book for women to read when wanting to advance in your career.
Irina Collazo
Unfortunately I couldn't finish reading this book. I wish I paid attention to the publication date before buying, and read a sample on Amazon. It just feels outdated for this day and age.
The material could have been condensed, by a lot. There is too much repetition, I felt like wanting to skip ahead all the time.
There is also too much focus on why some women are afraid, unwilling or uncomfortable to make six figures. Afraid?! That's just crazy.
Denician
Jump off the ledge. If you hate your job and don't believe you are earning your worth, do something about it. Motivating and encouraging. To change your life, you have to change your perspective.
Krissy Mayse
Jun 10, 2009 Krissy Mayse rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Women
Recommended to Krissy by: Friend, Mary Lee
Shelves: growth
Absolutely LOVED this book. Recommend the concepts here as well as the financial advice and guidelines at the end of the book. Excellent book for any woman - in any field - who knows she could be earning more. The author also offers free coaching as well at www.barbarastanny.com - I've listened in and found the free information very valuable. If you like Dave Ramsey - you will like Barbara Stanny's stuff too.
Carrie Rundhaug
Overall this was a pretty good book with some useful information. The most important lesson I learned from this book is the fact my attitude is what will make a difference. I am going to start working hard on changing my attitude from this point out. I definitely recommend this books to those who need a little inspiration to make their lives better.
Sascha
Helped me get a raise. Informative and interesting due to the story format.
Renee
Every woman who wants to take control of her career and earn what she feels she's worth should read this book. If you don't feel you are earning what you are worth or being respected and valued for your contribution, this is a great book to read to give you the skills and the empowerment to get you the career and the life that you want.
Shana
I used this book while doing some personal/professional coaching on monetary goals. I think that, while not revolutionary ideas, Stanny gives women many ideas to think about and ponder. It was one of the books that changed my perspective about earning and being self-sufficient as a woman... and for that I am thankful.
Heather
A simplistic book which generally discuss 6 figures but admits to interviewing with annual income between $120k - $7m. This is a huge range to lump into the same group. Plus certain professions lend themselves to higher earning potentials. This book was a good concept that was poorly executed. Would not recommend.
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
This is a great book. I did all the exercises in it and the one where you ask people who know you well to answer some personal questions about you is fabulous. I recommend it for ALL women regardless of whether you are starting your business or not. And I recommend it to men who are entrepreneurs in a service-oriented job.
Geraldine Gray
I have read this book and passed it on and bought it (secondhand) for several friend.
It's not about how to make more money and be greedy - it's about how to recognize your worth, increase your confidence and get your career and earnings on track with your "seemingly" more successful peers.
Kate
Nov 04, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Lynne-Corrine's Friend
Shelves: coaching, self-help
I enjoyed this book, mostly in its uplifting message that it doesn't take anything special to start earning six figures. Nothing in it is terribly life-changing or surprising, but there are a couple of strategies and suggestions in it that I think (hope) will come in handy down the road.
Erin
Apr 27, 2012 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't even going to post this book on Goodreads because, heaven forbid, a woman should acknowledge that she works to actually make money... How un-ladylike! And this, as Stanny points out in the very first chapter, is why women, in general, are chronic under-earners.
Nikki Knox
I didn't even finish it. Too self-helpish for my style. I am all up for stories... but this was too much fluff with the stories. Sorry Stanny! Perhaps it was written for an older generation that didn't grow up with as much freedom or permission to be creative!
Margot Note
"Six-figure women have had to push the boundaries of convention, fight the limitations of their upbringing, go against the gravity of their beliefs, and struggle to gain entry into a world that didn't particularly want them" (206).

But it's worth it!
Megan
For the author this book is the precursor to Overcoming Underearning, but for me it was the follow-up. Didn't blow my mind as much as OU, but it was interesting to learn what she distilled from interviewing 150 women who earn six or more figures.
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • How To Say It for Women
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Once Upon a Car
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Women Don't Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide
  • Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead... But Gutsy Girls Do: Nine Secrets Every Working Woman Must Know
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Real Cost of Living: Making the Best Choices for You, Your Life, and Your Money
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Nice Girls Don't Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money
Overcoming Underearning(R): A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money Sacred Success: A Course in Financial Miracles Sacred Success Guided Exercises For Overcoming Underearning