Start by marking “Informed Consent” as Want to Read:
Informed Consent

Informed Consent

Dr. Jeremy Cramer is a young doctor on the verge of a cutting-edge medical discovery. But his research is derailed when Cramer's son is infected with a rare fatal disease. Now as he races against time to save his child's life, Cramer will make a decision that could shatter his career.

Informed Consent is a pulse-pounding medical thriller that complements the current popular
Published August 1st 2007 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Informed Consent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Informed Consent

Michelle
Oct 05, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I almost didn't accept this book to review as I had SO many to read, but the subject matter intrigued me. Now I'm glad I took this book on. I'll tell you why...Informed Consent is one of the most emotional, suspenseful, intelligent, and exhilarating stories I've read in a long time. The up-close look into marriage issues, grief and loss, and biomedical/ethical subject matter makes me rank this amazing novel as one of the best I've read this year. It is SO obvious that the author did a lot of res ...more
Dana
Aug 12, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing
Jeremy Cramer, M.D is researching why children survive hypothermic submersion better than adults when he makes a breakthrough discovery in AIDS research. This discovery thrusts him into a media frenzy and he becomes a political 'basketball' for the hospital administration. But all this is nothing when he accidentally infects a nurse with AIDS and his negligence allows his son to contact a life-threatening disease.

As if this were not enough his marriage is threatened because this is the second ch
Samantha
May 30, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
A medical researcher comes face to face with the unfathomable love required to sacrifice an only son.

Dr. Cramer's life hasn't been easy- Bad luck and loss continues to plague him while he works to make a breakthrough discovery in AIDS research.
His marriage is hanging by a thread and his son's life is in jeopardy. He blames himself and his negligence but should he be bearing that heavy burden?
He has to make some very difficult decisions that will ultimately be life-changing!
This novel is emot
Chris
Aug 03, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
Informed Consent really grabbed me. The writing was simple but the plot had many twists and turns I liked. It had almost too many issues for one book to tackle. But I enjoyed it. Would have given it 3 1/2 if I could have.
Casandra
Mar 19, 2015 Casandra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
I really enjoyed this book. It is a book with a strong Christian theme, but only one family of characters attends church. It is a book about guilt and redemption, about lies and trust, and about mistakes and reparations.
The characters seemed well developed to me, especially the lead protagonist Jeremy and his friend and fellow doctor Nate Barlow, and Jeremy's friend and co-worker Devin. Even the ancillary characters were more than just flat caricatures, though the more removed from the main act
Eustacia Tan
Apr 22, 2013 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Informed consent is basically agreeing to something (like surgery) after hearing about the risks. It's a huge deal, because of people called lawyers. But this book isn't so much about a lawsuit (yes it appears, but it's not center stage), it's about a doctor who's trying to decide what's the right thing to do.

Jeremy is a research/doctor who's in a crisis. Well, no one says it, but it's obvious. He accidentally tripped - and a nurse got HIV. He brought his son to the lab - and his son gets a hear
Tom Craig
Dec 21, 2013 Tom Craig rated it really liked it
This book is indeed a page turner. I sneaked time away from work, play, and sleep over and over again to read just a few more pages in order to see what happens next. However, sometimes I was almost AFRAID to turn to the next chapter and find out what additional misfortunes were about to befall the main character or those close to him. I am accustomed to and I enjoy medical thrillers by Michael Palmer or Robin Cook with one or more good guys fighting some known or unknown villain who has some ev ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
WARNING: After reading Informed Consent you will NEVER look at Doctors and nurses the same way. After all they are just humans like the rest of us right? I know there is office politics in whatever work environment but when I read about what goes on in the inner workings of this hospital it made me a little sick to my stomach.

When hospital personnel make mistakes on the job or don’t follow procedure and/or don’t get INFORMED consent from patients; they are put at risk and some die. Sandra defini
Pat
Dec 14, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Jeremy is a rising doctor with very personal reasons for researching ways of prolonging life in drowning victims. His work leads him to surprising discoveries, while also confronting him with massive guilt over incidental infections that occur in his presence. Even as his marriage teeters, his career continues to skyrocket. Then, with a few twists along the way, he finds everything he has fought for threatened by the most personal, most heart-wrenching, choices of all.

Dr. Jeremy Cramer is a youn
Sharon
Apr 12, 2015 Sharon rated it it was ok
This novel involves a researchers quest to find out why children can survive being submersed in water for time periods that would result in the death of an adult. His interest is personal, as he has been plagued with survivor's guilt for his entire adult life after his father drown in an accident which he survived. He uses grant funding for AIDS to do research that will help AIDS victims and offer him some ideas for his own personal goals. This is good so far but his insistence that he is guilty ...more
Sam Hamme
Nov 25, 2012 Sam Hamme rated it liked it
I'm not quite done reading this book yet but I do intend on finishing it. Overall, I think it is a pretty good book if you enjoy medical mysteries, which I typically do. I'm only giving it three stars simply because I am able to point out several mistakes and things that are far fetched and unbelievable. I work in the medical field and when I'm able to easily spot inaccuracies I tend to focus on them rather than the storyline which is distracting for me. At times the book tends to drag along wit ...more
Ann
Apr 13, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book after reading the blurb during a sale in which it was free. I am really glad I did...the storyline reminded me of a Robin Cook novel and I have always loved his medical thrillers. While this book did not have the 'danger' element in it as strongly as the other medical based books I have read in the past it was all the same an edge of my seat ride from start to finish. As the book progressed I found myself hoping that the technology described in this book will become a reali ...more
Jaclynn
May 20, 2010 Jaclynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Jeremy is on his way to making some life changing discoveries in infectious disease research when his world unravels. Suddenly a friend has contracted a deadly disease, and his marriage and his own son's life is threatened. How far will he go to save those he cares about? And will Jeremy ever forgive himself for all the mistakes (ie. accidents) he has made?
Fast paced, thrilling and full of difficult contemplative situations. At the same time this book contains the love and forgiveness of Christ,
Carla Turcotte
Mar 29, 2015 Carla Turcotte rated it it was ok
Dragged on and on from one bad luck medical event to another. For a medical thriller there wasn't enough medicine or thrill, but there were pages and pages of sick people's symptoms -And not interesting ones either. I didn't connect with any of the characters. Felt bad for Jak, but really didn't care about anyone else. I wouldn't recommend this to others. I don't know how I keep ending up reading these christian fiction novels that overly push religion. I hate that! If it's part of the story, fi ...more
Audrey Grant
Nov 29, 2012 Audrey Grant rated it it was amazing
This book was quite interesting to me! Lots of side factors going on that keep you guessing if you are catching on to all that you need to. Very cleverly written.
I hated that they never told what happened to Ravi....to me that was a very important part of the story. Why did both of them blame HIM so very much?!?! Was it in there and I somehow missed it? I watched for it, but never could figure it out. It bugged me that that trail was left cold and unfollowed.
Other than that if you like a good me
Betti
Mar 21, 2015 Betti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is Fragile

What an incredible book! This well-written story grabs your attention immediately and doesn't let go until you reach the end. The author had me trying to decide if I liked Jeremy and what he was doing to those around him or if I disliked him for the hurts, etc. he was causing. The information about research was fascinating and made me hope and wish that the findings are true.
How much can one forgive? A question only you can answer for yourself. Don't miss this incredible book!
Sherry
Apr 13, 2013 Sherry rated it liked it
Diane Galburt
Mar 21, 2015 Diane Galburt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INFORMED CONSENT!

I do not believe that I have ever read Sandra before but this touching book filled with medical insights is right up my alley! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing book with us; I cannot wait to read more! I believe that everyone will love this book as much as I have! Sincerely, Diane Galburt
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars Medical mystery, March 6, 2009

This review is from: Informed Consent: A Novel (Paperback)
I really liked this book about an MD/PhD who discovers a drug that causes an arrest of AIDS symptoms and disease progression while trying to find answers to why children survive hypothermic near drowning better than adults. Interesting spiritual and ethical components.
Elizabeth Maher
Mar 24, 2015 Elizabeth Maher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking story!

This is an excellent story about life changing decisions. It is a story that makes you stop and ask 'what would I do?'. It makes sense you reflect on the importance of taking time for our loved ones. It also makes you ponder on how useless guilt is and it's poisonous negativity
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kindle
I took some time to get into this book. Unusual for me. However there is an interview with the author at the end where she says:

" I can speak places and characters into being."

She can and she does. She also leads her readers from spells of abject misery to complete and utter elation.

This is the first book I have read by her. I hope there are many more.
Jan
May 24, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
First one of her books I've ever read. I do like medical fiction -- and this was well done. Definitely will loook into getting another book by her. Definitely a Christian novel, but it wasn't preachy -- fit very well into the book...
Deloris  Mercer
Mar 22, 2015 Deloris Mercer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Thank you Ms. Hahn. This is a wonderful book. Being in the medical field I love to read books about anything medical. This book is by far one of the best ones that I have read in a long time. Lots of twists and turns and surprises.
Deborah Neil
Dec 23, 2012 Deborah Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great medical story read. Not too much technical stuff but I could not put it down. It was such a good read that I gave it 5 stars. I recommend reading this book even if medical things makes you squeamish this book doesn't go into that kind of detail. Loved it, test read!
Carol
Apr 21, 2015 Carol rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable and fairly compelling read. However, there were some glaring editorial misses that made me roll my eyes and the story was bordering on fantasy. If you like medical drama and non heavy-handed Christian fiction, this will interest you.
Karen
Feb 05, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
What would you decide if you had to choose between following the law and saving your child? This question in the context of medical ethics is raised when a father has to make that choice. The story was well-written and engaging even if the ending seemed a little over-simplified.
Samantha Parrish
Jul 17, 2014 Samantha Parrish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but slow

Good book, but slow

this was a good book, though the plot never really picked up until the last quarter of the book. It took the author a while to set the story up, but once it was, it turned out to be an excellent, thought-provoking book.
Valerie
Jan 15, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing
This book was refreshing to read with a marriage that was on the rocks and saved with honesty all the while struggling at work and for their child's life! What a great story that had a little of hopeful fiction!
Lynda Knapp
Jul 03, 2016 Lynda Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommend this book!

I don't usually read medical thrillers, but I am so very glad that I read this one. Sandra Glahn did an amazing job with this novel. I didn't want to put it down. It was very good.
Becky Pierce
Jul 02, 2013 Becky Pierce rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a long time....in fact I could not put it down! Stayed up until 3am reading when I am usually a 9:00 kind of girl! I just could not wait to see what happened. So well done!
  • Talking to the Dead
  • Composing Amelia
  • Abducted (Pacific Coast Justice, #2)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • The Next Target
  • Betrayed
  • Blood Sisters
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics #1)
  • The Moving Prison: A Novel
  • Forever Blessed
  • A Heart Deceived
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Operation Bonnet
  • Final Vector
Sandra Glahn, Th.M., is a member of the adjunct faculty at Dallas Theological Seminary and is editor of the DTS publication Kindred Spirit. She serves on the advisory board of Hannah's Prayer, a national organization providing information and support to infertility patients and providers.
More about Sandra L. Glahn...