Start by marking “Warrior” as Want to Read:
Warrior

Warrior

Focusing on the frontline soldiers who fought for their tribes, their cities, their overlords, and their countries--from the Ancient Greeks to the U.S. Marines in action in the Persian Gulf--this visual history paints a compelling portrait of the frontline soldier through 2,500 years of history.DK
Published October 1st 2007 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published September 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior

Alexander
Nov 29, 2014 Alexander rated it liked it
I got this book shortly after getting battle at sea. It had great pictures and had basic information. I especially like the soldier pack, which is very neat. However, at first I was disappointed because I thought it would be like battle at Sea. However, after I realized it wasn't, I did enjoy it. In the end, I think it is a great short read and a good introduction into Human war.
Michelle Roberts
Fascinating look at warriors throughout history. I did skim the last ~100 pages (WWI-present) since that's not as interesting to me as the more ancient warriors. I think the sections on the Greek Hoplite and the Vikings were my favorites. I love knights of the middle ages, but I really didn't learn anything new there that I didn't know before.
Nathan
Mar 19, 2010 Nathan rated it liked it
This is a beautiful picture-oriented book (coffee table size) that gives a great pictoral reference to the arms and armor of the individual warrior throughout time.

The pictures are amazing, but the text is low-reference grade information. It's a quick sort of "hey, here's what this looked like" sort of book.

If I hadn't gotten it new for $10, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't recommend paying much more for it than that, but it's a very valuable pictoral reference if you're into the subject matte
Mike
Aug 08, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: military
This is a pretty basic book, with basic information. It's not something to refer to if you want any kind of in depth knowledge of either individual soldiers throughout history, or of the development of the fighting man over the centuries. It's something that I would have loved in 8th grade, but now find rather plebeian. Nice pictures though.
Reev Robledo
Sep 17, 2012 Reev Robledo rated it it was amazing
This isn't the type of book you read from cover to cover. They're like those old encyclopedias which are there for reference or casual reading. What an astounding picture feast. Such details too surrounding the different military strategies and the life of war. If any of the research here was fabricated...what a fabrication indeed! A thrilling read.
Kbord
Oct 10, 2011 Kbord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for some visual reference. It would work for a coffee table book, except for being paperback (although, apparently there is a hardcover edition).

The book covers from phalanxes up through the SAS. Each period is given a couple pages' treatment, and then photos of the kit of a soldier in the period take a spread. The focus is on Europe and the United States and their wars.
Jerome
Nov 27, 2013 Jerome rated it it was amazing
Another splendid visual guide by R.G. Grant. The pictures are of great quality, the text is informative and concise, and the book is well-researched.

The book focuses on pretty much every weapon in the history of man and despite a few minor quibbles, I enjoyed.
Cam
Jan 21, 2014 Cam rated it liked it
Like an Eyewitness books for grown-ups! Does a pretty decent job of humanizing fighters without glamorizing the fight. Predictably whitecentric but there were profiles of non-European fighters such as Zulu, Sioux, Viet Cong.
Eugene booker
Oct 02, 2010 Eugene booker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Gentry
Nov 09, 2016 John Gentry rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a very broad history of the warrior. while the glossy pictures are nice, i could not help but be disappointed in it, since Battle by the same author and in the same vein of book was so amazing..
Becky
Dec 19, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Beautiful coffee table book. Could have used some timelines to enhance the history aspect to make it more complete.
Derek Tyler Tyler
Derek Tyler Tyler rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Bjarte Sletteng
Bjarte Sletteng rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Lorelie
Lorelie rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Rhys
Rhys rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Mohammed Anuz
Mohammed Anuz rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Abdullah
Abdullah rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Beryll Brackhaus
Beryll Brackhaus rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Joseph Nordmann
Joseph Nordmann rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Mark Clark
Mark Clark rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Gian Ciacci
Gian Ciacci rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Sarah Stern
Sarah Stern rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Maribel Hernandez
Maribel Hernandez rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Rodigo
Rodigo rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Kurt Criscione
Kurt Criscione rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Connor Ferris
Connor Ferris rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
K
K rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor
  • World War I
  • History: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Natural History
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • Arms & Armor
  • 100 Diagrams That Changed the World: From the Earliest Cave Paintings to the Innovation of the iPod
  • Fifty Animals That Changed the Course of History
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • How to be a Genius
  • Impressionists
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
  • The First Eagles: The American Pilots Who Flew With the British, Became Aces, and Won World War I
  • The Feminist Promise: 1792 to the Present (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War
  • Colditz: The Full Story
  • Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World: Equipment, Combat Skills and Tactics
  • The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima