Start by marking “Democracy (Fast Track Playscripts)” as Want to Read:
Democracy (Fast Track Playscripts)

Democracy (Fast Track Playscripts)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Three political parties, in and out of bed with each other like drunken intellectuals, fifteen warring cabinet ministers, and sixty million separate egos. All making deals with each other and breaking them. All looking round at every moment to see the expression on everyone else's face. All trying to guess which way everyone else will jump. All out for themselves and all t ...more
Unknown Binding
Published June 17th 2004 by Not Avail (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Democracy

John E. Branch Jr.
Plays like this one, and Tom Stoppard's Coast of Utopia trilogy, make me wonder why Americans (of which I must count myself one) write and produce hardly any political drama. It need not be about one's own country, as Frayn demonstrates here by dramatizing events in the mid-20th-century history of Germany, and it can be inventively theatrical without requiring a huge cast or a vastly expensive production, as Frayn also demonstrates.

This play is thrilling without being a thriller and smart withou
Kristina
1. 20.05.14-25.11.14

I read most of this from september and until now, but I've had so much to do (and so many other books to read) that it's taken quite long to finish!

I actually liked it a lot, once I could read it for pleasure and not for the class it was for. I really enjoyed Frayn's 'Copenhagen' as well when we read that for class, and this did not disappoint! I enjoy his way of using real historical situations and give us a look at what might have been going on behind the scenes.
Chris
A really fascinating play about an era I knew very little about. And what happens when a leader is loved and adored by the people and thought to be almost god-like and then turns out to be human?

This being said though, this is a very intellectually stimulating play, but it isn't a one that connects with your emotions as much as one would hope. However this might be different with the right actors and director involved
Ernie
Michael Frayn is an incredible playwright. I haven't had the chance to see this play on stage, but I would love to. This is definitely worth the read if you are looking for a good drama. I would also recommend reading Michael Frayn's background on the play - it is quite informative, though you don't need to be an expert on German political history in order to appreciate this excellent drama.
Kathryn
Another amazing play by Michael Frayn! He has an incredible talent for taking intellectual, ethical and political ideas and dramatizing them into a gripping theatrical experience. I would give it 5 stars compared to most other plays and 4 stars compared to his earlier play, Copenhagen, which simply blew me away!

I saw the world premier production in London, England. June 2004.
Steffi
As a German I find it amazing that a British Author is interested in this matter. The affair - and even more the protagonists - are described with great empathy and sympathy for both sides. And - like Frayn describes correctly - the power struggle among the Social Democrats was also decisive für Willy Brandts resignation.
Simon
I mean, yeah, it's brilliant, but it did tell me a lot more about German politics in the 1970s than I really wanted to know.
Kathryn
Truthfully, I haven't actually read this, only seen it performed... but it was AMAZING!
Steven Yenzer
Another terrific historical fiction play from Michael Frayn. Would love to see this.
Ian
Ian is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Fesal Alhotti
Fesal Alhotti marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Linda Bruck
Linda Bruck marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mahad
Mahad marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Charlie Cook
Charlie Cook marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Louise Bourke
Louise Bourke marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
  • Frozen
  • The Mercy Seat: A Play
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • Blackbird
  • Las bicicletas son para el verano
  • Frost/Nixon
  • All Things Must Fight to Live: Stories of War and Deliverance in Congo
  • Seascape
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch
  • The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Michael Frayn is an English playwright and novelist. He is best known as the author of the farce Noises Off and the dramas Copenhagen and Democracy. His novels, such as Towards the End of the Morning, Headlong and Spies, have also been critical and commercial successes, making him one of the handful of writers in the English language to succeed in both drama and prose fiction. His works often rais ...more
More about Michael Frayn...
Noises Off Copenhagen Spies Headlong Skios