Start by marking “Cowboy Ethics” as Want to Read:
Cowboy Ethics

Cowboy Ethics

Veteran financier James P. Owen shares his new perspective on Wall Street and how the Code of the West can and should be applied to business practices and the corporate world. The book is beautifully illustrated with David Stoecklein's western photography
Published April 1st 2005 by Stoecklein Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cowboy Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboy Ethics

Ron
Apr 29, 2012 Ron rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
With all due respect, there's nothing wrong with the spirit or intent of this book. Its call for trust, fairness, and accountability is timely, especially after the abuse of all three of those virtues in the financial services industry helped trigger the worst recession in decades. The basis of its argument in plot lines and characters from Hollywood westerns is, however, questionable. While the author says he's steeped himself in the history of the Old West, there isn't much evidence of it besi ...more
Eric Moote
Jan 05, 2016 Eric Moote rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: White collar fans of cowboys, empty coffee tables and young professional men just starting out
Recommended to Eric by: Teri Moote
Shelves: life-improvement
Overall: it's a coffee table book you are supposed to read.

Seems to me "Cowboy Ethics" is how one investment banker righted his conscience after his industry shafted America. Other than that, it's a good collection of thoughts on ethics in the American workplace today and is applicable to everyone, even though it was written directly to the Investment Banking industry.

The Cowboy Ethics laid out in the book are something to write down and consider everyday, akin to a post on the "Art of Manliness
Dawn
Jun 15, 2014 Dawn rated it it was ok
I suspected from the first page that this was a management consultant's tool for explaining the mission, vision, values thing to some company to turn around after being caught with a hand in the cookie jar, and in the last segment, I was pretty much confirmed. Investment Management Consulting Association is mentioned as being created by the author and tasked with bringing "cowboy ethics" to the investment corporate culture.

Now I've long had a dim view of consultants, who I have always considere
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 24, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Just as with his previous book, "Cowboy Values", I am so appreciative of what this man has to say. He really offers a great view of the big picture and how applying the ways of the cowboy to even someplace as wordily as Wall Street would bring about huge paradigm shifts and offer people moral strength and power. Some quotes to illustrate:

"Now, when I think about how I would like to be remembered, it is not as the guy who lived in a beautiful house or brought in a lot of business or helped to bui
Robynne
May 02, 2013 Robynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The photos are incredible and the message is inspiring, as it's intended to be. I quibble with the notion that cowboy ethics are necessarily as black and white as Owen paints them to be, but I agree with him that Wall Street could learn a great deal from a set of values or a code that is based on hard work and integrity.
Doug Jones
Sep 07, 2014 Doug Jones rated it it was amazing
Read it!
A great review of timeless rules for life. It has been said that "the gates of history swing on small hinges." The principles that Mr. Owen discusses lay the ground work for making good decisions. I'll be glad to have this book in my library to review and use in teaching the young people in my life.
Eileen
Feb 17, 2013 Eileen rated it it was amazing
The pictures in this book are beautiful. My favorite is the picture of the horses in the water which captures the reflections stunningly. The ethics discussion is a reminder of the value of a personal code to guide one's life.
Dan
Aug 03, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Good reading and awesome pics.
Lee
Oct 08, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good, sound, down to earth advice.
Ed Vaughn
Jan 06, 2015 Ed Vaughn rated it really liked it
A beautiful Christmas gift, an oversize glossy paperback coffee table book, full of simple rules for all of us to live by, using the working American cowboy coda.
C.a. Anderson
Dec 07, 2013 C.a. Anderson rated it really liked it
Great as a art book, the photos are beautiful
Thomas Bowers
Jun 22, 2014 Thomas Bowers rated it it was amazing
Great pictures and an especially useful set of principles and skills. It is the essence of ethical and responsible living through the "code of the west".
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Jody Seibert
Jody Seibert rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
Dana Ehlen
Dana Ehlen rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2017
Alyson
Alyson rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Art Sprecher
Art Sprecher rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Oliviamarcus Hickerson
Oliviamarcus Hickerson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
James H. Hayes Jr.
James H. Hayes Jr. rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Sean Murray
Sean Murray rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2012
Jim Dempsey
Jim Dempsey rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2016
barbara mikelonis
barbara mikelonis rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015