Start by marking “The Lastling” as Want to Read:
The Lastling

The Lastling

3.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Paris is on a trek in the Himalayas with her uncle and his friends. On the way they come across a young Tibetan monk, Tahr, who brings news of a creature so rare and yet familiar that it has become a myth all over the world. Things are about to take a sinister turn.
Published June 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 31st 2003)

Robert
May 12, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paris, a spoiled rich girl, joins her uncle Franklin on a strange and mysterious expedition into the Himalayas. Tahr, an orphan boy and young monk in training, is taken on a journey by his master. And then there is a third entity, living in the wild, not expecting outsiders. Their paths are going to cross...

The Lastling is an adventure story. It is never boring. Some details are kept suitably vague - we're never quite sure which country we're in, who the rebels are and whose war is being fought.
Shelby
Sep 28, 2009 Shelby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this dude catches a yeti and this monk that the dude caught saves it and they run away and a bunch of other stuff happened
Mahnoor
Mar 05, 2015 Mahnoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I analyzed this book in detail, deciphering every sentence, and I think it's very well-written and has a thrilling plot, though it can definitely get a bit boring if you read it the way we had to in class.

The Lastling is about a group of modern people who have illegally found their way into the Himalayas in search for something unique. It revolves around Tahr, a young Buddhist monk who is lost and stumbles onto the camp, and also has some knowledge of the creature they are searching for, Paris,
Oct 24, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why this is in our syllabus for year 9; it's basically rubbish. Technically a mess and burdened by some big and poorly explored themes - flat as a big flat thing. Y9 are fairly enjoying it though, as the ludicrous plot clips along, after about seven chapters of scene setting and exposition. Original, I suppose, so it can have 2 stars.
Jessica
This book is a bit more unique than typical novels dealing with creatures and teens having a fantastical adventure. The creature itself is not described with the stereotypical characteristics for that type of creature (I won't say the type of creature, because it would spoil the book). Also, the story has a bit of a serious tone (for example, dealing with warfare).

The book is easy to read, and the pace of the story is good. I never lost interest in the story (except maybe in the beginning of cha
Valerie
Jun 04, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this book and some of its messages bother me. Overall though it was an okay story that turned out very different than what I was expecting. Decent enough, and very original, but I have no plans to ever pick it up again.
Benn Jones
This book made very little sense to me, there is a story there but boy is it strange. Also still enjoyable.
Jenny
Jan 04, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a unique action adventure featuring Tibet/China conflict, ugly Americans, Buddhism, and mythical creatures.
Aiza Chaudry
Feb 07, 2015 Aiza Chaudry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont know, i find it weird, unique and very interesting. At some point it got boring and i stopped reading it but it did turn out to be a relentless adventure story. I like it.... ending however remains a mystery..
The story revolves around Tahr, the young monk-boy in training leaves for Himalayas with his Master Shango who well.... dies... Tahr strange and simple, doesn't know much about world or english. He's young and lost, doesn't know anything about his family and has nightmares regarding
Patricia Kaniasty
Not a very exciting book. It had its moments but they were few and far between. I actually thought about not finishing it, but it kept drawing me back in. I guess it being about yetis is what kept me going. I had to see how the story ended. Kinda sad.
Fakoo
Jun 01, 2015 Fakoo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It's my book course
Mah
Nov 12, 2015 Mah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book much. But somehow, this book gave me peace.
Neill Smith
Aug 06, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Paris is traveling with black sheep uncle she idolizes and a motley crew of adventurers on a mysterious search for unconventional experiences when she meets Tahr, a young apprentice Buddhist monk whose master has just been killed while they were on a pilgrimage in northern India. Tahr has seen a yeti – the abominable snowman – and the search has taken a new direction.
Zoha Rashid
the first n second chapter of lastling are no fun at all!i didnt like them but when u move on to the middle of the story it gets thrilling and you really wanna drop everything until you have finished the story!actually it was given to me as a h.w for my vacations so that made it boring to read this but i liked it!do read it!its quite amazing!
Marianne
Aug 17, 2010 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: student-choice
It is cool the way the lives of the three "teens" come together to tell the tale of the last creature of a species. I also liked how it talked about man's role in the extinction. It is a different look at things.
Anathema  Pulsifer
Dec 18, 2013 Anathema Pulsifer rated it really liked it
At times I thought it was weak, but it definitely caught me in the end. A story that portrays the role of humankind in the extinction of species and takes you to the edge of many lives....
Avril
Oct 06, 2012 Avril rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm still reading it, don't know if I'll like it or not but my prediction is that I'll love it! :)
Danielle Redz
*2 STARS

Won't be doing full review for this one.
Uzmarehan
Uzmarehan is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Faryal Murtaza
Faryal Murtaza marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Usama Jawad
Usama Jawad rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Zain
Zain marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Mba
Mba marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Leo Valdez
Leo Valdez marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Irum Khan
Irum Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Humaira
Humaira rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2016
Aleksandra Alekseeva
Aleksandra Alekseeva is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Sarazahid
Sarazahid marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
  • The Black List (Sydney Fitzpatrick, #4)
  • Four Red Diamonds (Lady Marmalade, #1-4)
  • Patalosh: The Time Travelers
  • Top Producer: A Novel of Dark Money, Greed, and Friendship
  • Wolverine: First Class - The Rookie
  • Unbound: A True Story of War, Love, and Survival
  • Don't Ever Get Old (Buck Schatz, #1)
  • Picking Bones from Ash
  • Dream Paris
  • التعويذة الغامضة
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
  • The Blossom Sisters
  • Fattypuffs And Thinifers
  • She Thief
  • The Road of Bones
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • Your Presence Is Requested at Suvanto