Start by marking “Weird Wisconsin” as Want to Read:
Weird Wisconsin

Weird Wisconsin (Weird Travel Guides)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  38 reviews
As all good Wisconsinites know, there is a lot more to the Badger State than, well, badgers. We have cows, cheese, the Packers, bratwurst, lakes, the Packers, polkas, cornfields, and the Packers. But Wisconsin is also filled to the brim with weirdness. And the best chroniclers of our state's odd folks, strange beasts, and local legends are Linda S. Godfrey and Richard D. H ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Weird Wisconsin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird Wisconsin

Rachael Quinn
I am not going to lie. I really, really enjoyed this book. I actually read it with a Google window open in front of me so I could look things up, even if it was just a town on a map. The whole book really made me feel like I needed to let my freak flag fly. There were just so many cool and/or weird things in there. I caught myself telling Hubby about a bigfoot sighting that happened just a town away in 1992 and things like this lead to whole discussions.

There’s everything in this book. You’ve go
Stacey
Nov 22, 2011 Stacey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
There was entirely too much material from the UP. I believe that the author was from Wisconsin and didn't feel like traveling to the Detroit area for a lot of her research. There are much better stories to tell than the ones she did. However, she did get some right and I have been there to prove it.
Jeremy Stephens
I absolutely adore odd-ball books, especially those which discuss local oddities such as this one. Whether believable or absurd, the accounts and facts listed in this book captured my imagination. After reading this book, I couldn't help but be impressed by the sheer weirdness of my state.
Gabby
I'm ready for my road trip to Wisconsin! Good pictures, but this book should be organized more rationally (let's say by city) than it currently is (by topic).
jimtown
Believe it or not, this book was a lot of fun to read. It also made me wonder, for the first time since the mid 70s about my fearlessness in wandering Michigan alone. The pages of Weird Michigan are filled with pictures and stories of the bizarre, odd, eerie and unexplained things that inhabit or have inhabited Michigan. The book is organized into twelve sections, such as Bizarre Beasts, Unexplained Phenomena, Roadside Oddities and Cemetery Safari. Some of the most interesting or unusual stories ...more
Alissa Bach
This was a really cool one. Many of the myths, legends, and places featured here I've never heard of. Others, I've visited. One (Blood Road) is just 10 minute drive from my home. Although I should add that the local Lapeer County stories I heard about that road were very different than the ones featured in the book. Actually, when M-24 was under severe construction that resulted in a 9-5 parking lot a few years back, Blood Road was a major part of my "scenic route" home. It's a very pretty drive ...more
James
i love reading these books. despite the fact that for the most part, they're all the same just in different states (every state has its gravity roads, its abandoned mental hospitals, its ghost lights, its bigfoots, and its ufos), i still get a huge kick out of them, and tend to fly through them when i do read them.

there's just something about them that appeals to the kid in me that once wanted to be a cryptozoologist.

that said, while i really liked this one, i didn't LOVE it the way i have othe
Jane
I really think this book deserves about a 2.5. I enjoyed it, but not enough for three stars. I am interested in seeing much more of MI, but this book is not one I will turn to to find out where to go or what to see. What it really needs is a cross-reference guide, a few maps, and a more logical, i.e. geographical, organization of material. It also could use some good editing! As a new Michigander, I need all of the help I can get to find put about my new homeland, but I do not think this is the ...more
Stefanie
Ah, Wisconsin, you do have your oddities, don't you? This isn't a book to read so much as to skim or sample, but I did read it cover to cover; sometimes the stories are just too interesting to stop. However, this book just about lost me at the beginning when, on page 28, Cthulhu was presented as the entity for which the walled city of Aztalan existed, around 1320 a.d. Really? The fictional character and legend made up by H. P. Lovecraft? We all have to suspend disbelief a bit to read about local ...more
Kattie
Oct 08, 2008 Kattie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science nerds who love Michigan
Shelves: michigan-themes
I guess I had higher hopes for this book than what I got. This book has lots of ghost stories, some roadside attractions, but mostly stories that have been passed around about various...pasts. You eventually get tired of the ghost stories, geological findings, and there are a few too many wolfmen for my tastes. The only reason I haven't abandoned it totally is because the stories are fairly short. So I've been skipping around, opening the book and flipping through to things I haven't read yet.
Sherry (sethurner)
Definitely local interest here. This is essentially a scrapbook of the odd, strange, nasty, interesting and haunted places and people in Wisconsin. Trouble for me is that Ed Gein is mixed in there with folk artists who create concrete parks. It's a read hodge podge, and many of the anecdotes were from email addresses. Still, it made for an interesting afternoon finding the familiar and unfamiliar in the Badger state, I just wouldn't buy it.
Ellen
For anyone who likes reading about the paranormal, supernatural, eccentric, or simply bizarre, this is a fun read... I really enjoyed it, probably due largely to the fact that I am a native Michigander (Michiganian?), but I think it would also be interesting to anyone who's planning a trip to Michigan or has been to Michigan in the past. If one has no interest in the odd or unique, or Michigan, then this probably isn't the book for that person.
David
One doesn't so much read this book as one skims through it. There are "Weird" books for almost anyplace in the USA, and a few overseas, and it's a guilty pleasure to find familiar places that have "mysterious" or just plain goofiness attached.

I didn't know the Kalamazoo Civic Theater had a resident ghost until I found its entry in Ms. Godfrey's opus. Fun and very lightweight.
Andrea
This contains lots of interesting myths, legends, and stories about my state. I've always been entertained by ghost tales or events of unexplainable origin, so naturally, this book was something I would like to read. Occasionally, I'll open it back up and read up on some things. There are probably countless more stories that could have been featured in this, but there is only room for so much!
Julie
I was hoping to find some cool destinations to take the kiddos to when I checked out this book. Rather, it is more a collection of odd stories/legends circulating in certain communities. Only a handful provided enough clues to actually find the sites. I would imagine these same stores could be duplicated for any state. Well, maybe not the chapters on Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer....
Lisa
my husband thought that it was funny to give this to me for Christmas. I'm from Michigan - actually, it's a beautiful book, although I believe some of these stories (ostensibly with newspaper sources) are cut out of whole cloth, just flat out made up. But many of the sites are legit, as I can attest. Just fun!
Andrea
I bought this for my boyfriend because he told me that the only things he enjoys reading these days are maps and menus! this must change said I! We love to drive around Michigan, up north and whatnot, and explore cemeteries, old buildings, historic sites, etc. this is a really good gift book!
Amanda
This book was really interesting. I loved it. I have been to a few of the places. I think Michiganders would get the most out of this book because they are closer to the places. One of the stories was close to me thought because I had family members injured in the Bath School Disaster.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
This one was just not as interesting to me as some of the other "Weird" books. This had a lot more strange and a lot less scary. Seriously, "The Rolling Muff" Come on now! Uh...okay...Thought Michigan would be much more interesting. I was not impressed!
Craig
What can I say, I love weird stuff, if it has cement grottos dedicated to the virgin Mary and Jesus Christ, and the rather large walk in Muskie, then this is the book of curious things is for you.
Cristin
They need a map highlighting where everything is which you could reconcile with your own road trip map. They're very preoccupied with death - lots of death/funeral/ghost stuff.
Kirsten Karlen
We were given 2 of the Weird... books, and they are really interesting to flip thru - good coffee table books. Not as much funny stuff in each state as much as just...weird. :)
Anthony Ventrello
Besides being the land of cheese and Wisconsin Dells there is much weirdness there. Who knew that this is the state that makes all those cool roadside statues?
Soapykitty
This is a great book to skin through but Frankenmuth or Bronners (the biggest Christmas store on earth) is not mentioned at all! How in the world did they miss that!?
Mel
Fun, if not exactly what I was hoping for. (I really wanted some places to visit on mini road trips.) But it's been interesting, even for this skeptic.
Stephen
Uncanny Radio co-host Godfrey's work on this book makes it well worth reading. A must-read for anyone interested in the strange and the supernatural.
Corey
It was all right. There were way more hauntings/ghost stories than I cared for, but the other parts were interesting.
G
I have to admit, I felt theeast side of the state got a little cheated and left out of the book.
Melisa Shafer
Interesting stories but a lot of freaky stuff. I guess everywhere has a bit of gruesome history.
Lori Cuene
Fabulous! Fun for all ages. Read this over and over. Always something to discover!
  • Weird New York
  • Weird Illinois
  • Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Pennsylvania
  • Weird Ohio
  • Haunted Wisconsin
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Weird Washington: Your Travel Guide to Washington's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird New England
  • Weird Florida
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town
  • It Came From Ohio: My Life As A Writer
  • Buttermilk Hill
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • Dinosaurs in the Attic: An Excursion into the American Museum of Natural History
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal

Weird Travel Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S.: A Freaky Field Trip Through the 50 States
  • Weird Arizona: Your Travel Guide to Arizona's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird California
  • Weird Carolinas
  • Weird Colorado: Your Travel Guide to Colorado's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Florida: Your Travel Guide to Florida's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Georgia
  • Weird Hollywood: Your Travel Guide to Hollywood's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf Weird Wisconsin: Your Travel Guide to Wisconsin's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America Hunting the American Werewolf: Beast Men in Wisconsin and Beyond