Start by marking “Hell Girl, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Hell Girl, Volume 1

Hell Girl, Volume 1 (Hell Girl #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  45 reviews
SHE’S COMING FOR YOU. . . .

When you thirst for revenge, there’s a surefire way to get it: Simply go to the strange website that appears only at midnight, and enter the name of your enemy. The Hell Girl will appear to drag your tormentor to eternal damnation. But you will have to pay a price . . . your soul!
Published January 29th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Girl, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Girl, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
152nd out of 880 books — 2,569 voters
Boys Over Flowers by Yoko KamioHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriThe Wallflower, Vol. 1 by Tomoko HayakawaSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki Nakamura
Dramas Based On Manga
18th out of 55 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

The Holy Terror
Watch the anime, skip the manga.

I'm a huge fan of the Jigoku Shoujo anime and this manga completely fails in conveying the eerie tone of the series. The manga was published while the anime was airing, so most of the chapters are original and they suffer because of this. I wouldn't even consider this canon, to be honest. None of the characters are really the same, the stories are short and rather silly, and many elements (the straw doll being a large one!) are completely missing. The artwork isn'
TheBookofJules
This series made me extraordinarily uncomfortable.

I mean, revenge stories can be fun when they're lighthearted, like John Tucker Must Die. That movie had humor and three very angry women who were not quite mature enough to handle a sad situation. But Hell Girl? This kind of thing terrifies me because I don't want to think people are truly capable of doing it, even though I know they are. Still, when reading manga I don't want to be disturbed or freaked out. I want to have an enjoyable time (and
Chibineko
I really wanted to like this manga. It's got a bit of everything I like. The artwork is cute, it's in an episodic format (each chapter is a different story), & the plotline is interesting. The idea of being able to send an enemy to hell by entering in their name on a hidden website is an interesting idea. While the idea of retribution via an outside party has been somewhat done before, this was a good approach. However, that's about where my admiration stopped.

The plotline revolves around A
Eden
This manga has a pretty unique story. Each chapter is about a different person who has been wronged in some way. Some are so badly wronged to the point where it can ruin their life and they want revenge on the person who did this to them. They don't know what to do until they hear about a strange website that only appears at midnight.
If you type in the person's name who you want revenge on, then, Hell Girl will drag them to hell. But for this revenge, you must also pay a price. When you die, yo
Kate
I thought this was supposed to be a horror manga, and the rating is 16+, so I thought it would be gory at least, or have nudity or swearing. Or maybe have a mature storyline. The chapters were episodic in nature and unrelated to each other, aside from the inevitable appearance of Hell Girl, who will take your enemy to hell for the price of your eternal soul - she can be contacted easily through her website. The enemies then find themselves besieged by the same things they did to their victims, w ...more
Marie-Josee Larouche
Feb 25, 2012 Marie-Josee Larouche rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marie-Josee by: My friend, Courtina
A very great story of seeking revenge and getting payback and making people "get a taste of their own medicine".

I found it a little confusing at first since for each chapter it kept switching characters, for telling different stories about hell girl. After the first two chapters I finally understood that for each chapter its a different story about Hell Girl.

I really like the concept to this story. I am sure that since this story is placed in the genre of High school and middle school it is dire
Loren
I loved this manga so much!
I feel like a say that about every manga I read but I do mean it!

I love the storyline, it's a cool concept, it kinda reminds me of Death Note but a lot shorter.
I actually like how every chapter is a different story.
Can't wait to see what's in volume 2!
Starbubbles
i picked this one up a while ago at the store, and had to put it back. the concept could have been great. but the people who called on her, and condemed themselves did so for rather dumb reasons. okay, not for stealing receipes, and that sort of career ending deal. but for things like being bullied at school. why not confront people? that's basically what happens anyway, and now you're stuck with sulfur and brimstone. it could have been written better to where you relate to the characters' despe ...more
Danielle
This story was actually quite interesting, and I just found out it was anime also (bit of a difference though apparently). When I first saw this on goodreads, I wasn't sure about reading it (not into a lot of horror). I saw it at the library and thought of giving it a shot. Def recommend for pleasure reading. =)
Nick
I picked up this series on a whim, because of a special bargain price on the whole set at a used book store. While some of the stories are repetitive, if you space out the reading a bit and don't try to rush through the whole series, it is quite good.
The entire series is based on the traditional concept that if you set out to seek revenge, you should dig not one grave, but two.
Thus, a special web site will let you seek revenge, but only at the eventual cost of your own soul, no matter how innoce
Mikaa
Mar 17, 2008 Mikaa added it
AWESOME ^^ ^^ ^^
Robin Conley
I didn't really know anything about this series when I got it -- it was in a random box full of mangas I received. That being said, it looked really interesting and I was excited to check it out. Unfortunately, it was kind of disappointing. It wasn't a bad story -- but after the first one I expected the storyline to develop some and it didn't. Ultimately, this series is the same story over and over -- someone does something wrong to someone else. The victim decides they want to get revenge and s ...more
Sarai
From Publishers Weekly
Enter your enemy's name at midnight on a special Web site, and Hell Girl takes revenge on them for you. Each chapter is thus a story of someone getting what's coming to them. The most fully realized, in both motivation and setup, is the first. Nerd Mari is set up to be caught shoplifting; popular Satsuki rescues her but blackmails Mari into buying her treats. Later stories cover a pastry student opening her own shop sabotaged by her jealous former teacher; an aspiring actre
Jessica Severs
The typical revenge story usually goes something like this:
Nice person is wronged by some jerk. Nice person exposes jerk for the lowlife he or she is. Nice person is vindicated, justice served, and lives happily ever after.
Not so in "Hell Girl."
In these revenge vignettes, when a person is wronged -- blackmailed, sabotaged, disgraced -- she gets justice by logging on to the Hell Correspondence site at midnight and entering the name of the person they want dragged to Hell. Just when the victim
Despair Speaking
To those unfamiliar with Hell Girl or Jigoko Shoujo, it's about this site that can only be accessed at midnight. Rumors say that if you type down the name of the person you want to send to Hell, a girl named Enma Ai will do that for you. But if you curse someone, you must also be prepared to pay the price. Because in exchange for her services, you will go to Hell too after you die.

Compared to the anime, it's just not as good. First of all, the art of the manga is pretty old. The beautifully cree
Michelle Wardhaugh
The premise was interesting, so I picked up a few of these. This first book developed the pattern very quickly and stuck with it. I liked the artwork well enough. The characters were generically attractive, yet you could mostly tell them apart. Unfortunately, there wasn't much originality either in the visions of Hell or the scenarios that set the problems up. You don't get to know any of the characters well. All but Hell Girl change in every story, and Hell Girl shows up as a background classma ...more
Obisbooks
When you want revenge, go to a website that appears only and midnight and enter the name of your enemy and Hell Girl will come and bring damnation to your enemy. The price - your soul.

Mari Shimizu gets caught shoplifting, though she has no idea how the cd got in her bag, a fellow student vouches for her and she doesn’t get in trouble. Except then the other girls start using Mari to pay for things, to do their homework, etc. or they will tell about her shoplifting. Mari gets fed up and calls Hell
Ella
Are you mad? Are you angry? Are you hurt, scared? Why not make a contract with the Jigoku Shoujo and she'll give the item that you need to make that person disappear. Just a straw doll and a thread is all you need to get your revenge. If I were a hell girl like Ojo then there would be too many responsibilities that I'll have in order to do it. No hesitating, but just plain do it.
Stacy Fetters
All beware of how you treat people. They might contact Hell Girl to take your soul to hell.

A mysterious site is only available at midnight. You enter the site and type in a person you hate. Hell Girl comes and takes them to hell. But when you die, your soul will feel the wraith and torture of fire and brimstone.

Interesting to say the least. The stories seemed repetitive. Not sure if I want to continue the series. I might give it a chance.
Nicole Bunge
If you've seen the anime, the manga is going to be a bit uneven. It's ok, but doesn't pack the wicked punch of the show.
That being said, it's still a fairly decent read. Five stories of people (mostly jr. high girls) caught between a rock and a hard place where suicide, or otherworldly revenge is their only out. For, as Hell Girl says "To curse someone is to dig a double grave."
The art is a bit cutesy for a "horror" manga, but it does follow stories from the anime.
In other words, worth reading,
Megan Anderson
I don't really like the art--those massive, soulless eyes are more creepy than anything that happens in the manga! The stories are all really predictable, too, and not in an, "Oh, well, bad stuff --> use the site --> bad person goes to hell" kind of way (though that's definitely the formula). Rather, it's easy to see who the antagonist is immediately, and there's no real sense of satisfaction when the bad guy gets his/her comeuppance. Well, except maybe in the fourth story.
Drucilla
This review will be for the whole series (9 volumes). I always thought that if, for some reason, I were to teach an ethics or psychology course, I would somehow reference this series. You've read the summary so you know what it is about. It's so dark and makes you wonder what you would do in a situation like that. Sidenote: I suggest you watch the anime as it came first and is so much better. But the situations in the manga are completely different than in the anime.
Donald Long
OMG ok i have one comment, IT IS PERFECT, ok i have read all of the Manga and only seen season one so fur, but i am watching the other seasons as we say this right now, i love the books because the way miyuki eto writes his book and the complete in the detailed book that have every packing punch the each book, it is just so phenomenal i hope to people read this blog and hope you can get your hands on their book. this book and series is too good to resist
Carmen Reyes
Wow this very unique story about Hell Girl manga, who's enemy/you hate that destroy your life or being bullied by others.. You have enter the strange website and put their name. The hell girl will taken care of it for you and it will coming for them who you put a name. She will take your revenge to trade take your soul so she will do it for you to revenge your enemy. Interesting... Now next read volume two and will do more rest other volumes.
Luna PenDragon
I LOVED this one. This is the third manga I've ever read. I liked the main character and the pictures...This one is VERY similar to the Asain Horror tv series called (at least i think its called) Girl From Hell which only had 11 episodes. You can find it in the Japan section of Asain-Horror-Movies.com and see for yourself. The first story is exactly the same.
Callie Hughes
I really liked this manga. It's dark, mysterious and awesome. Zigoku Shojou is really great, but I had to read to on a manga website and can't find the anime. I've only read volume 1 since that was what I could find, and it was Zigoku Shojou R, not the original series. I found it pretty easy to follow though. But all in all it was great.
Lord
Nov 24, 2008 Lord rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I don't know the anime but this manga is weak. The only interesting thing about the artwork are probably the biggest eyes seen in manga in english so far. There are several short stories in this book connected by the presence of the "hell girl". Very predictable and quite boring. I see no reason to continue with this series.
Barbara
The only thing I didn't like was how each character seemed OK with the fact they'll go to Hell along with whoever's name they put in the website. Maybe this will change later on in the series, but in the stories in this volume, each girl "doesn't care".
Ron
Jun 25, 2008 Ron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I bought this on a whim and I'm glad my gut-instinct proved to be correct. This manga was decently written with nice artwork and good overall story. Think the movie "Untraceable" meets "Death Note" if you need an idea as to what this is about.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Aside from a little catharsis at seeing bad people get punished, there really isn't much meat to the stories here. Only one story (Chapter 3: Fallen Idol) was at all intriguing with a less than obvious villain.
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Gunslinger Girl, Vol. 1
  • Ghost Hunt 7
  • Othello (Volume 1)
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 2
  • Dance In The Vampire Bund, Vol. 1 (Dance in the Vampire Bund, #1)
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01