Start by marking “Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)

Act of War (Jason Richter #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From the corridors of power inWashington to the frontlines of the waron terror, Dale Brown takes you to theheart of the action and introduces hismost exhilarating character to date

In Act of War, Dale Brown goes beyond anything he's done before, taking readers deep into the new world of intelligence-focused warfare, and introducing a cutting-edge new hero: thirty-two-year-o
Published May 31st 2005 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Act of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act of War

Kelly
Full of stereotypes, laughably implausible scenarios, dunderhead characters, and caricature reality. This is supposed to be the first in what I presume to be a series of Jason Richter books, but the man barely appears in the book and when he does he's nothing more than a whiney, ignorant, pansy who is hardly worthy of notice. Brown gives us no reason to like any of his main or supporting characters, and kills them off at will knowing that readers likely won't care one way or the other. This is m ...more
Tink
((Yawn)) Not sure why this book seemed never-ending, but it was. It was an effort to stick with it to the end. The premise was interesting and timely, but I found the writing to be sophomoric. Members of the Marine Corps are NOT soldiers. I would expect a career Air Force officer to know that. There were grammatical and spelling errors - poor editing. I kept wondering how Lee Child or Robert Crais would re-write it to make it flow more smoothly, grab my attention and keep it.

Very disappointed.
Jeff Bach
Interesting and disturbing.

The CID part was a good read. I always wonder how far from reality things like these CID robots really are. DB did a good job working that part of his story. Richter seems like just about the guy he would have to be in order to engineer those CIDs.

The part I found disturbing was how reasonable the attack on the White House was made to be. Throw in some sabotage at nearby National Guard units, some confusion, some bad guys in good guy uniforms, and all the rest of the s
Charmaine
It was okay. The plot moves a little too erratic and finishes too fast for my liking. The ending is barely captivating and how the characters ended up leaving or staying or promoted leaves a lot for questioning.

It seems, or at least from this book, that it doesn't matter how hard you've been working or how experienced you were before the incident - if you're close to the action and prove yourself capable or almost capable, and you did it all in front of the President, all glory and honor is you
Kathy
I'm not usually a big "war" action type mystery reader. Just saw the book and was interested in what an Air Force writer might sound like.
I was a little put off by the jargon, but found that the story and the characters were interesting. The compelling nature of Jason Richter and the other action figures kept me reading. An interesting plot line and a great way with dialogue, Dale Brown kept me entertained.
Scott
I'm writing a batch of rants today, to get them out of the way. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that there is a book industry that can support an author like this one. I get recommended this book somehow by some app, because I like Tom Clancy, but Dale Brown is nothing like Clancy. "Act of War" is junior high meets geo-politics. I just could not take it seriously.
Judith
Oct 06, 2014 Judith rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a reader of military sagas
Recommended to Judith by: no one - picked it up by mistake
I picked up this book by mistake -- thought it was a Dan Brown book but read it anyway. The terrorism possibilities were eye-opening and becoming more real in today's environment. It was not too my liking. I found it far too military for my civilian mind and thought the story line was somewhat farfetched. However, a person with military experience might like it.
Dennis
Brown introduces a new hero in this book and I liked him and the book. I've read all of Brown's books in date order (a lot!) so he sometimes gets a bit repetitive. I keep reading his books though because they are just fun page-turners. Good book.
Michael
Seemed rather promising to have a thriller where the bad guys deploy nukes within the U.S. and the good guys have giant manned robots resembling those seen in the movie �Avatar.� The destruction of a plant of a large multinational energy corporation in Houston with a small nuclear bomb brings out the tough folks in the military to stop the bad guys. A crew involved with developing hi-tech Cybernetic Infantry Devices gets tapped to spearhead �Task Force TALON�, which soon makes a sortie in Brazil ...more
Ryan Schneider
Dale Brown is a master of military adventure featuring cool technology we'll likely see come to fruition in our lifetimes. Keep in mind, the F-117 stealth fighter was on the drawing board in 1974, and we didn't really know about it until the Gulf War around 1991 when they rained hell on Iraq under the cover of night and not a single aircraft was lost, despite the INSANE amounts of anti-aircraft fire raging all night. And keep in mind, this was the global/US-led response to Saddam invading/ie pic ...more
Marilyn
Dale Brown is a retired Air Force guy. I think he's an excellent writer. This book brings terrorism to America. And the responding fight is to bring a group together called Talon Force. This group includes a couple of scientific engineers who have created a robot that a man gets inside. The robot moves with the flow of the man but has the strength of a large piece of machinery while at the same time having the speed of a ... gazelle. I like Dale Brown's books. Sometimes they're pretty technical, ...more
Ryan
Mar 03, 2008 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: drama, suspense, heard
This book was a solid spy/adventure tale. I'd listened to a more recent Dale Brown novel that I liked more. This one has all the same elements: politics, backstabbing, killing, spying, sweet tech, etc. I think I didn't like this one as well as the other because the reader wasn't as fantastic as I had hoped. He had a soft scratchy voice. And all the characters pretty much sounded the same. So it was pretty hard to identify who was talking many times. Still, a decent book. I'll definitely try to f ...more
Rachel V. Joiner
Decent book. Not awesome, but okay.
Dainan
I guess this book was a good read. It had some interesting moments but a lot of the characters/situations were too far-fetched. I had to keep reminding myself it was a "fiction" book and could, therefore, have as much fictional material as it wanted. Just not up to par with other spy/conspiracy novels out there. I haven't decided if I'm going to try another Dale Brown or not...
Larryjc
i have been looking for someone to challenge Tom Clancy and brown shows promise of doing so. i would love to read more of his books. if you love espionage with future generations weapons and unexpected twist in kills and escapes, this is a book for you. brown allows characters to die in a way that make you proud of them (i mean the good guys).
John Lomnicki,
I think that at one time or another I have read most of the Dale Brown novels. This was not as well written, but it was enjoyable. I listened via the book on tape format.

This is light reading with some predictable violence and a lot of twists and turns, some of those are slightly disjointed. Still a good read.
Karl Schaeffer
What's worse? Terrorists or evil oil tycoons... "misguided" environmental activists or ex soviet era Russian hooligans? Lots of bad guys in this one. Lots of over the top technology too. And the technology always works; which seems a little unreal to me. But hey I read it anyways.
Brendan Powell
This is a good book...a bit of a simplistic plot...but entertaining story, and some interesting ideas of the future of warfare. I'm listing to the audio-book while doing chores / riding the bike...it's a perfect book for that! I'll be jumping into the next installment.
The Cats Mother
Preposterous action story about a team put together to fight terrorists, using cyborg units that the hero rides inside to chase the bad guys. This is the first in this series, but the 2nd I'd read of them - this is better than Edge of Battle, but still fairly silly.
Bevan Audstone
I like Dan Brown,

This offers a new exo-skeleton technology
There is the usual us vs them, the power of the individual standing up to the evils of bureaucracy thing, but the military fighting is always good.
A true page turner, finished in less than 2 days.
Kevin Slossar
Sep 15, 2009 Kevin Slossar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who can enjoy a good
Recommended to Kevin by: I found it in the library
This Book, was a great book that has to do with a some-what futuristic society where everything is controlled by a dictator like company. This book has to do with the rebels that stand up for their rights, and the people that are trying to survive.
Paddy Furniture
It was so bad I couldnt even finish. Dale Brown failed miserably. Simply being a veteran of the armed forces does not mean you can write a spellbinding novel about anything military. Brown demonstrates this very well. Please pass this one up.
Steven Turek
The spanish in this book is all wrong. It seems like the author just pulled it off of some free online translator. The story was decent, but I was distracted the entire time by the Latin characters speaking Spanish that is plain wrong.
Lori
This book was a little hard to follow. It had a lot of characters. The book reminded me of a guy movie. Lots of action. I just found it a little hard to keep track of everything going on in the fights. Will make a good movie.
Andykay
400 pages of people arguing, followed by a lack luster ending you can see coming a mile away. A turgid waste of paper. Threw it in the bin after struggling to finish it.
Debbie
While the book started with an interesting premise of terrorists against the US, it quickly degraded, then add the R rated language and I can only recommend - don't bother.
Randy Daugherty
This book thought it held promise did not live up to the potential but the character of Jason Richter is interesting so I will give other books in the series a try.
Joe Newell
This book tells a story. To me, the story was not very compelling or worthile, and the author never facilitated a connection with the characters or made it worthwhile.
Pamelyn
The terrorism parts are shocking and scary and great. There are some parts in between the action scenes that could use some work, they read like a romance novel.
Terry
It was an entertaining book to listen to that helped get me through long hours of driving at night. It was pretty predictable, but had a strong plot.
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Steel Tiger (Wings of War, #2)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...
Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1) Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4) The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7) Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3) Hammer Heads