Start by marking “Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)

Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,095 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Tales of the Vampires presents stories ranging from medieval times to the Depression to today, all intricately woven around Joss Whedon's central story about a group of young Watchers in training. Not to be missed is Buffy's rematch with Dracula and Angel's ongoing battle with his own demons. Wrapped in a haunting cover by Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, these diverse tales ...more
Published December 14th 2004 by Dark Horse Books (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Vampires

Jordan
I’ve mentioned my fondness for anthologies before, right? Good, no need to retread that. I mentioned that I like how they free writers to explore background characters and the worlds created by popular franchises? Ok, no need to say that again either. Did I mention how I enjoy the wide variety of artistic styles in a comic anthology? I did? Oh. Well, looks like this introduction is almost entirely redundant then....In that case, without further ado, let me introduce Tales Of The Vampires. As wit ...more
Matthew Lloyd
Related reviews: Tales of the Slayers

Tales of the Vampires is a curious beast. It is difficult to address without comparing it to Tales of the Slayers, although it is generally quite different. It has a much greater sense of overall purpose, stands on its own fairly well, and is linked together by the overarching story of a group of young Watchers listening to tales about vampires from an actual vampire. Unlike Slayers not every writer has an obvious connection to the television series Buffy th
PurplyCookie
Featuring stories taking place in the Buffy universe with various writers and artists, of which I'm not a fan nor a follower, " Tales of the Vampires" may come off as a mixed bag at first, but there is a whole lot here to admire.

This graphic novel anthology of a dozen original vampire tales is loosely joined by a framing story in which a group of youngsters listens to a shackled monster. Illustrated in a wide range of gorgeously executed styles, the tales vary in both length and age appropriate
YoSafBridg
Dracula said what, and when was that?
Have you ever thought that you read a book and when someone is talking about it--like major plot elements, concepts, themes, or characters you have absolutely no memory of them? That was my experience recently when i, in one of my Buffyobsessession throes was checking out some of the slayer timeline sites and saw some references to a story in the grapic novel Tales of the Vampires by Joss Whedon, Ben Edlund, Jane Espenson, Brett Matthews, and Drew Goddard.
Sam Quixote
"Tales of the Vampires" is a collection of short comics about... that's right, wombats! Actually its vampires. But there's a twist and it is that each story takes a different look at the vampire, usually giving them human characteristics such as love, sacrifice, suffering, and humour.

I liked the atmospheric "Dust Bowl" story for the setting of a remote farmhouse and wandering vampires and the "Jack" story set in Victorian London casting a new light on the Jack the Ripper mystery. Fans of Joss Wh
J-Lynn
Nov 05, 2007 J-Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Buffy fans, fans of monster comics
You don't have to know the lore of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to appreciate this interesting look at Vampires. But, for avid Buffy fans there are plenty of inside references to keep you interested. Tales of the Vampires is a collection of fascinating vignettes about various vampires told through very different art forms. Some stories are dark and mysterious, some moving flashbacks of our favorite soul-filled vampires, and even one goofy riddle. The individual stories are tied together under the pr ...more
Sunil
Jan 15, 2012 Sunil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 2010
This is more of a mixed bag than Tales of the Slayers, but it has a nice frame story and has more guest appearances by show characters. There are some great vampire stories, some touching, some funny, some clever, some creepy. One of the strengths of both collections is the different artists. Even when the writing isn't as strong—and most of the stories are written by Mutant Enemy alumni, so it's generally pretty strong—it's neat to see different artists' takes on Slayers and vampires. I'd defin ...more
Rylan Perrott
A mix bag of short stories about vampires. Some were boring.. but on the most part very engrossing.
Slayermel
This was an interesting Buffy Graphic Novel, written very differently from the rest I’ve seen so far. It is a bunch of short vampire stories all pieced together into one larger story. Very interesting! I actually had a bit of a hard time putting it down at night as I wanted to see what was going to happen next. My favourites of the many stories was the one of Spike and Dru (of course, who can resist them), and then the overall story of the watcher children in training. A few of the others had so ...more
Samra
i liked it but i wanted a bit more just like i did with ...Slayers. There are so many creepy little girls in this one i liked it lol
Ryan Mishap
I almost always enjoy it when the point of view is turned around from the hero to the beasties--the beasties are always more complex and interesting than most heroes (although that isn't always true with good work), especially monsters that have been portrayed as one sided. The neat thing about this book is the frame enclosing the stories: young slayers are taken to a chained vampire by the Watchers and made to listen to his tales of vampires past who fought Slayers. There's a little something ...more
Russell
I was lucky and found all five issues wrapped up for the price of £5, which is a far more appealing price than the £10.99 tag I saw on the TPB.

I guess this was quite average, mocking on the idea of tales from the cript with the intro story scored out by Joss each week and 3 other tales of vampires lives, past and present. It's nice to see some familiar faces from the show but you're left with the feeling of fanfic-itus. Thank God it was only a 5 part mini series, and only £5.

For fans only.

-Russ
x
Greg
This sucked. And I don't just mean the content (sorry, irresistible vampire joke!). There were a couple brief moments but not nearly enough to make this worth having been published. I genuinely wish I'd never read it so I could still have the anticipation of knowing it existed without knowing how bad it was. The larger story that bridges the smaller tales is decent but, again, still nothing spectacular. I'll just say that I'm glad these folks got better with time.
Courtney
I don't know if I'm getting the hang of graphic novels, or if this one was just better than the Tales of the Slayers. I really enjoyed this one. I do tend to like/identify with the villains over the heroes in most stories. Joss Whedon always pushes the envelope on the black/white duality of evil and this was no exception.

As a bonus, I just started the second season of BVS with the coming of Spike a Dru. The GN led right into that episode.
Heidi
"I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and I've seen all of Angel and Buffy, so I may have a different experience of this graphic novel than someone who is unfamiliar with Whedon's version of vampires or his sense of humor. Those who are will, I think, enjoy this version of it. Buffy and Angel make appearances, but the focus is on new vampire stories. Some are better than other, and I particularly enjoyed the one called "Dames." Recommended."
M
A great exploration of the history of notorious vampires and the Watchers' Council, this collection of stories adds new layers to the Buffy mythos. We see a father vampire look after his son, a crazed religious vampire meet an even crazier foe, Angel's struggle with his inner demon, a western take on vampire lore, and even a look at the events that led Spike and Dru to California. Overall, a fantastic collection!
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
This graphic novel is a compilation of different artist and writers telling tales about vampires. I have to say it was not the best in the world. I really liked Fray, but this one was a little boring. I did really like the different artists, but I thought the stories could have been a little better. If anything, read this for the story that reads like The Night Before Christmas - I liked that one.
Kevin Fanning
Not super engaging. My reaction to the Spike & Dru story: Really? That's the story they decided to tell? A couple of the stories even had cymbal-crash endings.

They could have really made hay with a collection of stories not about the vampires, but about the lives of people who were close to vampires, or whose lives were affected by vampires, but for the most part that sure didn't happen here.
Aldi
Nice framework narration and a few quite intriguing stories. The Buffy and Angel cameos were a nice touch, and the Spike/Dru one was heartbreaking.
Cathy
I read Tales of the Slayers first and liked it better. The vampire stories seemed too short and disconnected. Perhaps the slayer stories just seemed more connected because of the slayer legend, but I only felt so-so about these characters. I felt the Spike and Drucilla story was nice, but only because I know them from the show (same with Dracula).
Katie
Oct 08, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Ok, I liked this one SO MUCH BETTER than Tales of the Slayers. I mean, really, what isn't to like? The shifting styles and stories were interesting, but satisfying, there was one based on Lord of the Rings, and lots of familiar characters that I actually miss quite a bit. Definitely worthy of five stars.
Aspasia
Nov 10, 2007 Aspasia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Buffy/comic/vampire fans
This is a series of comics based in the Buffyverse and collected into one volume. The comics are well-written, the artwork is great, and the overall story arc is compelling; however, the Spike and Drusilla story alone are worth getting this book for. You don't need to be a Buffy fan, but it helps.
Ishanie
Loved it! Once again, just slightly disappointed there wasn't more! :) My favorite story was the Dracula/Buffy story. It contained the humor true to the tv series. I'd love to see more interaction between the two in future stories. I can't say I was disappointed because it was great.
Federiken Masters
Creo haber leído los capítulos sueltos que componen este tomo hace un par de años, pero antes tendría que corroborar bien el contendio. De momento switcheo a la edición española y procuro chequear después si este material lo reeditó Norma.
Adam Ross
A good collection of short tales told by a vampire to a group of Watcher acolytes, all written by writers from the Buffy TV show, and headed by Joss Whedon. It serves as a good lead-in to the season eight comics.
Ashley
Some interesting stories but they were short, more like snippets and tied together in a haphazard way. The artwork was beautiful though! I really liked the modern retelling aspect of some of the snippets.
Ashley
I still don't know who was the vampire in spot the vampire.
Can somebody who comprehended what they meant about tne too subtle clue.

The problem with vampires and numb were my favorite of all.
Chris Spaght
so many really great stories, wrapped up in one big story. This was alot of fun. Also the tidbits with why Spike and Dru came to Sunnydale were alot of fun. All in all a great work.
Jasmiina F
I loved the story about Xander and Dracula and now I wish to read more about what they did together. Sometimes I really miss Buffy and then comics like these cheer me up.
TJ
Guess I thought this would have some significant relation to the Buffy tales, but alas it didn't. Still was interesting though. Though at times hard to follow the story.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #4 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Ring of Fire (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #9 Buffy Season 2)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6)
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Queen of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Dust Waltz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic#8  Buffy Season 2)
  • Angel Omnibus
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous