Start by marking “The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants” as Want to Read:
The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants

The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants

The unknown history of letters

For as long as any letter could remember, Vowels and Consonants had been enemies.

U without N? Q without U? Mpssh! you say. Yet once, long ago, P's and Q's minded their p's and q's, and though U and I deserved not one iota of respect. For their part, Vowels knew only that the dot on the youngest i was far moe important than the most capital W.

A
Published September 10th 1999 by Square Fish (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Between the Vowels and the Consonants

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-book
Am I the only person who finds children's
books to be the best books around? Maybe
I should write All I Really Need to
Read I Read in Kindergarten. Recommended.

Ben Razer
Jul 25, 2014 Ben Razer rated it it was amazing
at the wor itwus Vowels forses Consonants.They fited on see on land in thescy.
Megan
Oct 03, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-261
What an amazing book to read to children. Not only does it talk about vowels and consonants and how they are used, it also shows how if you work together as a team, you are able to conquer more tasks. One part of this book that I found refreshing was that there was a bit of violence in it. I know that may sound weird to say about a children's book, but if you think about it, many of the life lessons in children's books are sugar coated. This one is a bit sugar coated, do not misunderstand me, I ...more
Becky B
Ever since anyone can remember, Vowels and Consonants have not mixed. Eventually their prejudices lead to war. Screeching vowels are set against intimidating grrrs. It seems the war will go on forever, until a new threat shows up and the two sides must work together or all be destroyed.

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek tale that could help kids better remember which letters are vowels and which are consonants. (Incidentally, I loved how the Ys in the story were depicted as a house divided by the war, a
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
The Vowels and the Consonants live in uneasy peace next to one another. They don't like each other and they certainly never mix! But one day and insult turns into a rock thrown which quickly escalates to WAR! The letters fight and fight, but get no where. Only when both Vowels and Consonants are threatened by a great squiggly lined mass that they realize they must band together to save themselves. Words lead to sentences lead to paragraphs lead to books! Who can prevail against that?

Dexter (6yo)
Jacqueline Archdeacon
Sep 23, 2014 Jacqueline Archdeacon rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I loved this book! I would definitely read it in my classroom. The book incorporates reading skills, because every character in the book if either a vowel or a consonant. At first I though the book was too sad to read to children, because it was all about the conflict/war between the two segregated groups. However, in the end the story is about acceptance and unity! The letters learn to work together to create sentences, stories, poems, etc.
Khadija Bensaadoun
Apr 22, 2012 Khadija Bensaadoun rated it really liked it
An amusing story about vowels and consonants being enemies. Through their battles they finally become allies and discover all their potential in making words, sentences and paragraphs! This book would be great when intruding students to vowel and consonant letters. For an activity the students can go on a scavenger hunt in the classroom and they can group the letters and make them into words. Grades 1-2
Brittany
I chose to place this book in my shelves labeled writing workshop and mini lessons. I chose this because this book gives a great depiction of how vowels and consonants work together as a team. This story can be used to introduce a mini lesson about vowels and consonants and then have the students work on activities associated with the theme. Students can also use the information in this text when the are participating in writing workshop.
Sharlene Spencer
Oct 24, 2009 Sharlene Spencer rated it it was ok
The vowels and the consonants are at war. They realize they had a bigger problem when the scribble showed up in town. he vowels and the consonants had to work together to get rid of their common nemesis. This book teaches that we use vowels and consonants to make words. It can also be use to introduce the civil war.
Haley Sterritt
This was such a cute little book! It lists the vowels on one team and consonants on the other. The y is sometimes on both teams. The book ends with the vowels and consonants coming together to defeat the scribbles. They realize they are better together! This is cute to introduce the different in vowels and consonants and how to solve problems.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Mar 22, 2013 Kelci Cox-Griswold rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet
The vowels and the consonants are at war. When a giant scribble enters the town they can't get it to eave. They pull together to make words to get rid of it and realize how great they can be together. This book would be great to use to teach kids the difference between vowels and consonants.
John Schlotfelt
This is the perfect book if you don't just want to teach your child about consonants and vowels but also class warfare, conventional warfare, the perils of being caught in the middle (poor Y), and the power of uniting against something complicated you don't understand. I still give it three stars.
Chelsea Smith
Apr 09, 2016 Chelsea Smith rated it it was amazing
The pictures are very colorful and fun to look at. The story is very comical, and especially for those students who know their vowels and consonants. Both young and old are sure to like this one!
Esodhiambo
working together
against scribbling
power of the word
weird
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Danita Myers
Danita Myers rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Carrie Baragwanath
Carrie Baragwanath rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Red Book Buyer
Red Book Buyer rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
bethany eyerman
bethany eyerman rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Molly Mejstrik
Molly Mejstrik rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Rochelle
Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2010
Judith Zawodniak
Judith Zawodniak rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Cheree Aubut
Cheree Aubut rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Friends
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
  • Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations
  • The Selfish Crocodile
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei
  • William Shakespeare’s: Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare Retellings, #4)
  • The Little Duke
  • How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning
  • Leonardo and the Flying Boy
  • Da Wild, Da Crazy, Da Vinci (Time Warp Trio #14)
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1