One Monster After Another

One Monster After Another

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  32 reviews

Sally Ann's letter to Lucy Jane goes on a fantastic journey when a "Stamp-Collecting Trollusk" steals it from the mailbox.

If you open almost any of award-winning author/illustrator Mercer Mayer’s 250+ children’s books you’ll see dragons, cuddly monsters, wonderful creatures, and endearing critters. Born in Little Rock, Arkansas, Mr. Mayer spent his childhood hunting lizard

Published September 28th 1974 by Western Publishing Company (first published 1974)

Cynthia
Mar 20, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was my favorite book as a child. I can remember my babysitter refusing to re-read it multiple times a night. Its a very fun story with lovely illustrations. The story is about a letter being sent from one friend to another and the letter's journey while, stamp collecting monsters, paper eating monsters, and monster eating monsters all get in the way. The book was out of print for several decades so I'm glad to see it is once again in print.
Erica
This may have been the most intriguing book of my childhood and I would love to get my hands on a copy now that I'm all growed-up. I suspect that I only saw half of the things in each picture; we'd pore over every page for minutes on end, encouraging each other to find what we saw and we did this with alarming regularity. Yet, I'm willing to wager that I won't recognize even half the hidden treasures in each illustration.
Also, I still worry about the safety of my letters once they leave the post...more
Kathryn
Sep 24, 2007 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: alltimefavorites
I absolutely LOVE this book, it is everything I would ever want a childrens story to be... It has amazing artwork, a crazy story, made up words, and of course wonderful dry wit "nothing ever happens around here."

Everyone with children and even those without should read this book!!!!
Jonas
One of my favorites. Beware the typhoon-a-gator.
Josh
i lived in this book for a while.
Melanie
This one you have to be careful with. The pictures are kind of crazy, and that's what makes it so good. But I could see them sort of bothering the super imaginative kids out there. None of the monsters are actually mean, they just want to eat the paper or steal the stamp from the envelope... so really it's all in good fun. The pictures are AMAZING. If you run across a copy of this book- buy it, it's hard to find!
Sara Horney
This is my absolute favourite Childrens' book EVER! My copy has been read to the point that it is held together by tape. I began reading it to my son shortlhy after we brought him home from the hospital and now it's one of his favourites.
Mercer Meyer creates fatastic, whimsical characters. The typhonigator is one of my personal favourites , but readers of this book won't soon forget the Paper munching Yalapapus, the Trolusk collecting Grithix or the Letter Eating Bombanat. The creatures are so d...more
Terry
Well, there's the Trollusk and the Bombanat and the Typhoonigator to "like," among others. I asked the first graders if they thought the letter writer and the letter reader were monsters, too. "NO!" was there resounding response.
Lyndsey Miller
I think as a kid I would have loved this because my dad works for the post office an I would have easily related. It's funny that nothing exciting ever happens around there!
Joy
A lavishly illustrated tongue-twisting story of the monsters that try to intercept the letter that Sally Ann is sending to her friend Lucy Jane. My daughter gets the giggles over this story, though she was a little wary of the monsters the first time we read it. In the end she decided that the monsters were pretty silly and the one at the end must be a good monster, since he puts Sally Ann's letter in the mailbox. I love the illustrations (Mercer Mayer, hard to go wrong!), and the names of the m...more
Rachel
Another great imaginative monster book by Mercer Mayer, this one is a story about a girl who writes a letter to her friend. It gets intercepted by all sorts of monsters along the way. Another reviewer mentioned that it seems Mayer is channeling Seuss with all the crazy made-up words in this book and I'll have to agree with her. I like that he included a dodo in the background of a couple pages of the book, in addition to the Stamp Collecting Trollusk, Letter-Eating Bombanat, and the Wild-'n-Wind...more
Luann
Sally Ann puts a letter to her best friend Lucy Jane in the mailbox, but a Stamp-Collecting Trollusk steals it before the mailman can pick it up. The story then follows the letter as it is snapped up by a Letter-Eating Bombanat, grabbed by a Bombanat-Munching Grumley, sucked up by a Wild-'n'Windy Typhoonigator, etc., etc. A great one for reading aloud with fun word choices including many author-created words. I also enjoyed Mayer's fun detailed illustrations.
Camden
Morgan discoverd this on a recent visit to my Mom's. What memories! The stamp-collecting trollusk steals Sally Anne's letter and then ensues the hunt by other paper-eating, letter-munching monsters. Or monster-munching monsters like the wild-n-windy Typhoon-a-gator. Love it.

Too bad it's out of print and starts at $40 for a used paperback. Hard back in good shape are around $65!
Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, monsters
This story follows a letter's fantastic journey as it is intercepted again and again by various monsters on its way to its destination. The monsters are reminiscent of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and the story is funny and fantastic.
Julianne
My niece's family LOVES this children's book, so I picked it up and read it to myself. It was OK. Later I read it aloud to my mom. What a difference! It definitely needs to be shared! The pictures of all the monsters are great, but the names of the monsters are the best! Get this book and read it to a child.

Christopher Clough
Easily one of top 10 favorite books of all time. Great story, amazing illustrations...almost the perfect children's book. Reading my childhood copy of this to my nieces, with crayon scrawl courtesy of my little sister (now 37, yikes!), was amazing...and they love it as much as I did.
Lisa
This story is about a girl named Sally Ann who wrote a letter to her friend Lucy Jane, but it gets intercepted by a bunch of monsters a long the way.
I love the illustrations. You'll have to read the book to find out what happens to Lucy Jane's letter.
Nathaniel
Before the Little Critter books, Mercer Mayer wrote and illustrated a few books that are absolutely beautiful. The pictures in this book are so detailed and so imaginative, that it's just a delight to read (especially with a little kid).
Sean
One of my favorite books as a child. Though at the time I was more interested in the fantastic illustrations of monsters than the story itself. But upon reading it again as an adult I can see why i loved this book so much when i was a kid.
Allen
I still own my original copy of this, from when I was a kid. I intend to read it to my child, in the hope that it expands his vision of the world, like it did me. Love this book!!!
Haunted_Nostril
Another fantastic book from Mayer featuring characters from the fabulous 'Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zimperumpazoo.' Outstanding illustrations and a charming story.
Don Byron
A wonderful book! After 35+ years, I still remember the "wild and windy typhoonigator" and the "stamp collecting trollusk." Mercer Mayer is classic childhood!
Alexis
Lots of silly fun words. The pictures go well with the story and have lots of cute "background actors".
Miriam
A little girl's letter is stolen by one monster after another but eventually reaches its intended recipient.
Patrick Colorcrayons
The most imaginitive and artistically creative childrens book I have ever read, and thus the best.
Lenna
I liked the illustrations better than the story, although the story wasn't bad.
Mike Lester
A favorite from my childhood. I will forever cherish my tattered, well-worn copy.
I think this might possibly have been my favorite book as a kid. EVER. PERIOD!
Kari
Funny little story with silly made up creatures by Mercer Mayer.
Meri
If you have kids, get this book. It's brilliant!!!
What Do You Do with a Kangaroo? What Do You Do With a Kangaroo?