Start by marking “A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best” as Want to Read:

A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best (A Smart Girl's Guide...)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Girls learn through fun quizzes, advice, and letters from other girls, that manners aren't about being stuffy, boring, or formal. Manners give girls the skills they need to handle tough and tricky times in their life. From the dinner table to the telephone, manners give girls what they need to WOW the world.
Published September 1st 2005 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners

The Care and Keeping of You by Valorie SchaeferA Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School by Julie WilliamsA Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone by Dottie RaymerA Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles by Patti Kelley CriswellA Smart Girl's Guide to Money by Nancy Holyoke
Growing Up Books
9th out of 35 books — 25 voters
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffIvy and Bean by Annie BarrowsGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Enchanted River Race by Caldric BlackwellThe Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Best Children's Books for Girls
111th out of 120 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Colleen
This American Girl series is my new favorite for working with my students in 3rd through 5th grades. These self-help style books answer the questions and create opportunities for discussion in ways that take the pressure off of the girls as individuals and allow us to talk as young women in general. I've used this with my students with behavior problems, explaining that if what they want is really to get their way, manners are the most likely way that's going to happen. It's incredible to see ho ...more
Erin
This is one of those American Girls lifestyle books. What I liked about it was that it wasn't just "manners," although those are definitely covered. It also included how to deal with a variety of situations and circumstances, including funerals, weddings and traveling. This is one of those things I would have been interested in as a child, and while I don't think all girls will love this, it is directly marketed at girls, which is why I chose to put it in this category.
The title says it all - th
Lauren
Oct 07, 2008 Lauren added it
Another American Girl book I read! It had good examples for manners.
Yukari
I like the book much better than I thought I would.

While I don't agree with certain part of table manner("Transfer your fork back to your right hand and set your knife on the plate as you eat.) , it's a good book for young girls. That fork switching manner is probably old fashion American way, and it's not wrong. However, the young readers may visit European countries or fancy restaurants in many US states in the future. In this case, they are better off to learn European way.

I especially like
Wsclai
A useful and fun book for not only girls but boys as well. It is not just about good manners but about how to respect oneself and others and how to be grounded.
Libby
Jun 20, 2009 Libby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
Shelves: non-fiction
Manners. Everyone needs them, but sometimes it's tricky to know what manners to use, and when. This book was really useful for that! There was information on introductions, boys, rumours, sticky situations and special occasions, as well as IM-ing and keeping safe.
The only reason it wasn't a five-star is because it didn't have the WOW factor, but I do recommend it.
Ella
A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners really helped to have manners. I knew some stuff already, but I learned more after reading this. It talks about introducing yourself, table manners, how to treat people with respect, and so much more. This book is for all girls of any age- 9 or 17 years old, who cares? It will really help you with manners after reading it.
Sally
Basics and special situations. Great introduction on human nature's "me first" mentality. Gentler than I would have been in my (grrr) frustration with certain teenagers in my house! lol Love those AG cartoons.
Ashley
I thnk this is a very good book. I think about every on should read this book. It has taught me a lot of good manners. I have learn how to talk to boys and how to eat with manners.
Shelby Sproull
I think this is a great way to learn manners of corse I already knew my manners but it takes you so much deeper in to manners and I think it's a great book
Sarra Martin
Not bad. I know most of the manners already, an some are common sense, but still helpful for young children.
Hannah
Manners meets fun in an american girl book : A smart girls guide to manners. :) Great book .
Jen
This book had some really good stuff! I wish everybody would abide by these manners! :):):)
Gymnasticgirlaag
I love it. It is a very fun way to inspire kids to use their manners I love it!!!
Castro
is realy cool it teach you about manners i recomened it to my friens
Emily
I learned how impolite and unmanerly I really am!!! It's AMAZING!
Tiffany
I just read it 2 days ago! ..... not anymore...
Heather
Jan 06, 2009 Heather added it
Shelves: good-for-girls
I used this in Activity Days. Great resource
Noa
manners are establishment. rebel.
Steph
Mar 18, 2012 Steph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Good book.Gives great tips and info.
Amy
We love the American Girl book series.
Kiersten
Nov 02, 2008 Kiersten rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ??????
Recommended to Kiersten by: ???????
Not the best but is good.
Lauryn
manners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Mahathi
very informative
Jordan
awesome book!!
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
This book 2 4 Jan 22, 2013 06:09PM
  • A Smart Girls Guide to Friendship Troubles: Dealing With Fights, Being Left Out and the  Whole Popularity thing
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Staying Home Alone: A Girl's Guide to Feeling Safe and Having Fun
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Starting Middle School: Everything You Need to Know About Juggling More Homework, More Teachers, and More Friends
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
  • Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library (Paperback))
  • 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette
  • Aloha Kanani (American Girl of the Year 2011, #1)
  • American Girl Magazine
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Mini Mysteries: 20 Tricky Tales to Untangle (American Girl Library)
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
  • Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book
  • Chrissa (American Girl Today)
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly)
  • Have Wheels, Will Travel (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #4)
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It Yikes! A Smart Girl's Guide to Surviving Tricky, Sticky, Icky Situations A Smart Girl's Guide to Boys: Surviving Crushes: Staying True to Yourself & Other Stuff Oops!: The Manners Guide for Girls More Help! (American Girl Library (Middleton, Wisconsin).)