Start by marking “Monster Manual” as Want to Read:
Monster Manual

Monster Manual

The second of three core rulebooks for the 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons ® Roleplaying Game.

The Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game has defined the medieval fantasy genre and the tabletop RPG industry for more than 30 years. In the D&D game, players create characters that band together to explore dungeons, slay monsters, and find treasure. The 4th Edition D
Published June 6th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Monster Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Manual

Randy Lander
Jan 13, 2009 Randy Lander rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
The Player's Handbook is the crucial book in D&D, but the Monster Manual is not far behind. And the 4th edition Monster Manual, while not a home run, is a pretty good evolution of the Monster Manuals I-V of D&D 3.5.

I'll start with what I miss. The description of each monster that could be read to the players was handy, and while there was never a ton of information about the monsters, the 4th edition Monster Manual definitely stresses the tactical aspect of the new game. Each monster get
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Greg
Jul 28, 2013 Greg rated it it was ok
This is the weakest of the new 4th edition core rule books. The main problem with it is the multiplication of just plain strange monsters at the expense of the old classic monsters from the old 1st edition. I can only assume that the changes were driven by the desire to increase sales for WOTC by spreading the monsters that people want across multiple volumes, and to increase the number of monsters to create figurines for.
Clackamas
Jan 05, 2009 Clackamas rated it it was ok
Shelves: games, 2009
Not much new or interesting. Lots of beasts with fatal flaws so a standard group of regular gamers will be able to kill them without getting wiped out. I was hoping for some new, original monsters and with few exceptions, they all felt like they'd been done before.
Daniel
Jun 01, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
An excellent initial tome of beasties for the D&D 4th Edition game. It very much is a Part 1 in the Monster Manual series, lacking some very basic creatures/animals, but it certainly provides enough fodder to throw at heroes of all levels.
Robert
Jul 22, 2008 Robert rated it liked it
Looks like your pretty standard monster compendium. I am please with the manner in which they layout the abilities and explain how they can be used. Probably the best part in each entry is the Strategy section, just as it has been in previous versions.
Mario Molina
Nov 09, 2009 Mario Molina rated it really liked it
Sleek artwork. Owlbears still.
Abraham Ray
Mar 08, 2013 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing
good book of monsters for 4th ed dnd!
Jon
Apr 27, 2011 Jon rated it liked it
I like how they setup the monsters tactics and powers. I found some interesting ideas for my next encounters.
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: games
A little too light on fluff for me. Prefer fluff.
Noah A.
Noah A. rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Jack Ostoja
Jack Ostoja rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
David Dixon ii
David Dixon ii rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Chris Nichols
Chris Nichols rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Lg Burker
Lg Burker rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2012
A.t
A.t rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Andreas
Andreas rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Robert Morgan
Robert Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Nathan Jiskra
Nathan Jiskra rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Curtis Hay
Curtis Hay rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Cape Rust
Cape Rust rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Curt
Curt rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Tanya Beeson
Tanya Beeson rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2012
Christopher Frost
Christopher Frost rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Alessandro
Alessandro rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Lauren Southworth
Lauren Southworth rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Wile
Wile rated it liked it
May 31, 2009
Jeffrey Kosh
Jeffrey Kosh rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012