Start by marking “Before I Was Your Mother” as Want to Read:
Before I Was Your Mother

Before I Was Your Mother

To Katie, it seems as if her mother has always been her mother, with her bills to pay and to-do lists--but in fact, her mother was once a little girl, just like Katie! Celebrate the joy of being a girl and the special love that mothers and daughters share.
Published April 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Before I Was Your Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Was Your Mother

Emily
Sep 03, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My matronly friends. ; )
Recommended to Emily by: The library shelf.
So charming! The faces are so expressive and finely rendered. And more importantly, the storyline cuts to the quick!

The recollections of the mom being recounted to the daughter about how she wasn't always "a mother who wears comfortable shoes in public" or tells her noisy daughter and her little friends to "shush" while she's trying to hear someone on the other end of the phone.

She, the mother, tells her daughter that when she was a girl, she used to dream of owning red go-go boots, and she'd
Kathryn
May 21, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
I like the idea of this story... a mother sharing with her daughter all the things that she used to do when she was her daughter's age. It shows the fun, quirky things that the mom used to do when she was a girl... and perhaps would shine some light on some similarities between the mother and her child (though it's really not made clear if they share similar childhood interests much). I guess I was just less wowed by this than I expected to be given Lasky is the author. Maybe if I hadn'
nicole
Sep 20, 2014 nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I read about this while working on some Six Traits alignment for work and just had to read it. It was lovely and sweet. PB and I read it on the couch, one day shy of 38 weeks, my feet swollen like Mac trucks, my belly jiggling like a bouncy castle, and my nose running like a river.
Kimberly
Oct 17, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
A very sweet reminder for kids that their moms were once kids too! Love the illustrations by Pham, as always.
Dolly
May 23, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale of a mom who shares some of her childhood adventures with her little girl. The illustrations are soft, watercolor and pen and ink drawings and they complemented the story very nicely.

I think that reading this book with a child is a great way to encourage parents to share some of their funny and happy memories, some of their dreams and aspirations, some of the adventures and misadventures from when they were young. I thought this would be a good book to read in honor of Moth
Kalynda
I really enjoyed the story-behind-the-story view that this story told. It reminded me of students and teachers, and how so many students, both young and old, only think of you as this one identity, teacher. They can't imagine anything else. Which is why they give that shocked or surprised look when you see them at the store. What? You shop? It's funny.
In this story the mother shares all about her life and adventures before she was a mother, being told to her young daughter. The idea would be gr
Jenna's Mom
Aug 18, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids 4 and up
Jenna (3) didn't entirely "get it" that sometimes the mom in the story was talking about herself as a little girl. I think the concept of "before I was your mom" is not something Jenna could grasp at this age. In the egocentric world of a 3-year-old, a mommy has only ever occupied one role: mommy. I might try this again when Jenna is little older.
Angela
May 29, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful way to show children that adults used to play and have fun too before they became grownups. It is a good way to open up the conversation of what Mom liked to do when she was a kid and for her child to see her in a new light. I really like the artwork too.
Lori
Jun 05, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I modified the narration a bit for our boys (leaving out daughter or replacing it with son to personalize it), but it's especially good read mother to daughter.
Julie
Oct 25, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I love how this story recalls what the mother was like when she was little and culminates with her longstanding desire for her baby. I loved reading this to my daughter because I felt the same way!
Jacqueline
May 15, 2012 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Very sweet mother/daughter story perfect for a Mother's Day Story Time. The art really didn't work for me though, but I'm not sure why.
Edward Creter
Apr 29, 2014 Edward Creter rated it really liked it
Beautiful artwork depicts mothers passing on fond memories of when they themselves were growing up. Share this with daughters as well as sons and see if kids will like it.
Heather Richard
Aug 10, 2011 Heather Richard rated it it was amazing
Sparked a great discussion with my kids, and the illustrations are fantastic! Definitely one to purchase!
Destin
Destin rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Les
Les rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Tammra
Tammra rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2007
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
SamZ
SamZ rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Kimberley
Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Matthew
Oct 21, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful, wonderful, perfect book. I loved it.
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
May 10, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Kate Ditzler
Kate Ditzler rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Bremonline
Bremonline rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.
She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of
More about Kathryn Lasky...