I Went Walking

I Went Walking

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,191 ratings  ·  111 reviews
I saw a black cat
Looking at me.

These catchy stanzas frolic through the Australian author Sue Williams’s simple, funny read-aloud picture book that tracks a crazy-haired boy’s stroll through the countryside. The boy sees a black cat, then a brown horse, then a red cow, and so on, and before he knows it, he’s being trailed by the entire menag...more
Big Book, 32 pages
Published May 15th 1991 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

Krista
This is a wonderful, predictable picture book children can easily read after they have had it read to them. I've read this to Kindergartners in a big book format and they took over the book and started reading it to me! I loved the energy it builds in a group read. So many of the easy first books are not entertaining, but this is a cute story with simple but great art. The little boy in the story is going on a walk and sees many different animals of many different colors.

I see this adaptable to...more
Christian Houseworth
I love this book. This book somewhat reminds me of another version of Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See by Bill Martin and Eric Carle. The book has repetitive lines for example, " I went walking. What did I see? I saw a black cat looking at me." I think that this is a great book for lower elementary grades. This book would be great for teaching repetition and rhyme. This would be a great book to use for a mini-lesson on repetition. Also, this book would be great for teaching sequencing and o...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an Australian classic. Julie Vivas (of Possum Magic fame) has again created fantastic illustrations, in her typical style.

This book is similar in style to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?. As such it is perfect for storytimes with lots of kids, all chanting along - and trying to guess the next animal. What I like about this book (which doesn't exist in Brown Bear) is that clues are given as to what the next animal is.
Asho
This is a great book for young children. It's very similar in style to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" In fact, the refrain is, "I went walking. What did you see? I saw a [animal] looking at me." So, if you've read Eric Carle's book, you've pretty much read Williams' book. This is basically the Australian version of "Brown Bear, Brown Bear". My baby really likes the repetition and sing-songiness of it, though. The little boy in the illustrations has really bizarre hair (not at all imp...more
Lucy
Babies, toddlers, vocabulary, repetition, phonological awareness, animals.
Jazmin
I Went Walking by Sue Williams and illustrated by Julie Vivas, is a predictable storybook about a little boy that goes walking and meets numerous animals along the way. This book incorporates familiar farm animals like cows, pigs, and horses all typical animals of early childhood books. Thus, I believe this is a pattern book for preschoolers to second grade. The younger spectrum will enjoy the book for its illustrations as well as the older reader, but the first graders will enjoy the rhyming a...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This simple sing-song story from 1989 is similar to Bill Martin Jr's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? because it uses the same tune and has similar lines:

I saw a black cat

I saw a brown horse
Looking at me.

The difference here is that it's about a little kid - boy or girl, who knows and who cares? - wandering about a farm, and all the animals are ones you'd find there and are realistic colours. The animals keep...more
Melissa Andrews
My son LOVES this book. The illustrations, as some have said, are a little weird - they aren't your typical drawings of animals - but that hasn't phased my 21-month-old; he can recognize and identify all of them. We were introduced to it at story time at our local library. I borrowed it a couple of days later, and he "reads" it all the time. He can identify all of the animals, and has even started "guessing" which one is coming up next by the hints given on the previous page.

There are also other...more
Lindsay
This is a cute, simple story about a child who meets different animals, both big and small, while taking a walk. It's kind of like the Bill Martin, Jr./Eric Carle bear books (Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?; Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?; and Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?). I love the rounded nature of the illustrations.

I used the Spanish version for a Spanish story time with a dog theme. I also used the English big book version for bilingual story time (I use th...more
Katrina Dombrowsky
Pretty much the same concept as "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?" The illustrations are nice, and the "big book" version was nice for storytime because the words and images were large enough for the kids to see and the adults to read along.
Emerson
This book is very similar in prose to Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? A boy goes on a walk and finds animals and for each animal he says "what do you see" and then answers. Would be interesting to know which book came first.
Kim Brookes
This book is about a child that goes for a walk and sees a bunch of animals. It was entertaining and the illustrations are great - a good way to teach about different farm animals and also about colors.
AEF
easy to follow
and love picture
and helpful for babies to understand the concept of the text.
i will be using in Story Hours
lovely picture book
Ecl  Storytellers
Almost an exact copy to Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Could be turned into a felt set--or use Brown bear felt set.
Jill
Though this book reminds me of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, I still enjoyed reading it with my young friend.
Robert Beveridge
Sue Williams, I Went Walking (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1990)

I Went Walking is another of those identify-the-animal books for the pre-lit set with stylized(-but-not-TOO-stylized) illustrations, well-written text, and not a great deal to separate it from the other members of the pack... it'll do as well as any of them, and it does stand up to the repeated-reading thing, but I'm not sending it to the short shelf of immortal kidlit as I am with some of the other books I've been reading to the kid...more
Brandi
A rhyming boardbook incorporating color and animals on a young boy's journey around a farm discovering different animals. Good read aloud and participation book. Quirky, good illustrations.
Shelley
Wonderful Ones 3/26/2014
Micah House
Small group read aloud chapel.
Hope Johnson
This is a easy book to check comprehension of children. The child in the book encounters different animals as she goes along. You could ask your students which animals she saw and which animal she saw first. This would check to see if your children are truly paying attention and comprehending what the book is telling them. It also touches very slightly on adjectives by using one adjective to describe the animal the child in the book sees. This would be a good first step before diving into adject...more
Kettlestitch Press
Simple, blissful progression story for toddlers.
lprater
Pattern Book: This story of a boy who goes on a walk and finds himself as the leader of a parade of animals would be a great addition to any preschool or kindergarten classroom. The pattern of “I went walking” will allow children to quickly predict and read along with a parent or other adult. The illustrations provide the reader with a clue to what the boy happened to see on his walk. Teachers could use the book as part of a unit on animals, farms or even colors.
Casey Anderson
This book is great for teaching kids about their surroundings and about different animals. I really like the illustrations especially because that makes it interesting for young children. Toddlers really seem to love this book.

Activity extension: take a nature walk, if around animals, and instruct the kids to point out what animals they see while walking. If no animals around, pretend to see different animals, and the class could talk about where they would live.
Meg McGregor
A little boy goes out walking and discovers that a procession including a dog, cat, cow, and horse are following him.

Easy repetitive text and whimsical illustrations make this a favorite book for your little ones to want to read over and over again.
Robin Morris
The repetition of this book makes it easy to remember. The illustrations are not brightly colored but each page does have a small sneak peek of each animal on the page that followings. This makes it fun for children look at a part of the picture and guess what come next.

L.E.

The learning extension would be in small groups place objects in a box. Ask each child to reach in the box and describe the item they feel in the box.
Miriam
Five stars for predicatable text! How empowering it is for Alli to be able to read. Let's hear it for Sue Williams, Eric Carle, Bill Martin, and all the other literary heroes who give kiddos pride in thier learning! I used to get sick of reading the same books over and over (especially predictable ones) with my first graders, but motherhood has opened up a new part of my brain that allows me to never get bored of books like this.
Dolly
Mar 19, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their young children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, rhyming, pets
With a rhythmic, repetitive and rhyming narrative that is very reminiscent of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, this book is sure to entertain even the youngest child. The illustrations are colorful and the animals are adorable. I can see this being a favorite to read over and over.
Mary
I like reading this book to very young children because they are just learning how to notice details in the pictures in books. Each picture gives us a clue as to what animal it is that the main character is seeing. Not only does it work on noticing skills, but it also works on colors and animals. The text is short and simple, and the repetition makes it very accessible to children who are just learning to read.
Christiana Tarpley
This is a great book for students who have an interest in farm animals. Each animal is described by a specific color. Sequencing and rhyme occurs throughout the book. The students could retell the story by telling what animals the boy saw on his walk. A text-self connection can be made by then writing sentences about what animals/things the children have seen on their walks at home/vacation.
Jessica Allen
This book is good for younger children and useful for an animal unit. The book has sight words and color words as well. I think this book is wonderful to use toward the beginning of the year to review colors and animals. Also, children can discuss things that they see when they go for a walk... be it at school or at home. They can make real-life connections with the book.
  • Clip-Clop
  • Blue Goose
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Jump!
  • Hello, Day!
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Farmer Duck
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • Ten In The Den
Let's Go Visiting And Then the Darkness Mean Streets Kind Heart World Beyond Tears: The ongoing story of Father Chris Riley Death of a Doctor