Start by marking “The Dance” as Want to Read:
The Dance

The Dance

In this poignant evocation of the father-daughter relationship, the author of the bestselling The Christmas Candle tells of a man who watches his daughter dance through every stage of her life. Full color.
Published October 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance

Katie Tatton
Jul 31, 2009 Katie Tatton rated it it was amazing
Inside my hope chest, tucked way in the back next to my wedding album and my children's baby books is perhaps the most beautiful children's book ever written (certainly the illustrations are breath-taking!). I keep it in my hope chest because I cannot read The Dance without crying, and I don't want to lose that. Written by Richard Paul Evans and illustrated by Jonathan Linton, The Dance is the story of a father who watches his daughter dance her way through the stages of life, and while she cann ...more
Erica Anderson
Sep 08, 2012 Erica Anderson rated it it was amazing
I cry almost every time I read this book to my children. My step-father tried to read it to my child and about halfway through I came into the room and with tears in his eyes, he handed me the book, too choked up to finish reading. Very touching book.
Jannah
Aug 09, 2016 Jannah rated it liked it
The sentimental side of me that loves the song "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle and the book "I Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch really liked this book.
The side of me that lost its innocence when people commented on how creepy and stalkerish ILYF was, was equally creeped out by this book.
I understand the idea of a hands-off but supervising father seeing his daughter grow up, but the way each section ends with a comment on her dad just passively watching her felt weird. :\
Laura Walmer
Sep 10, 2009 Laura Walmer rated it it was amazing
I hate you Keenan. It was totally NOT what I was expecting. I thought only I put children's books on this thing. I was expecting this huge chapter book. Had to request it through the North State Library exchange and everything. I pick it up, not sure I can finish it in time (Brian and I are reading 1984), and here it is a children's book. So, I took it home and read it to Emily and Sabrina, and promptly cried like a baby. Emily almost had to take over to finish reading it to Sabrina. I'm not a d ...more
Sarezh Zyad
Apr 04, 2014 Sarezh Zyad rated it liked it
brilliant heart touching story
tender story of the bond between a father and a daughter .
and very nice Book print and painting :)
Janice
May 14, 2008 Janice rated it it was amazing
Dancing marks the rites of passage in a daughter's life and that of the father who loves her. From her first carefree twirling in the flower-dotted yard, to her first solo performance in The Nutcracker, to the waltz of her wedding night, her father is there watching, silent and unobserved. And he smiles.

This tender story of the bond between a father and a daughter, told straight from the heart by the best-selling author of The Christmas Candle and illustrated with exquisite, lush paintings, evo
Tani
May 25, 2016 Tani rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book will forever remind me of my mom and my grandfather.
Linda Brough
Jul 02, 2015 Linda Brough rated it it was ok
The art work is amazing. The story is okay but not wonderful
Lisa Petro
Children stories
Trish
Jun 25, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2014
This is a book about a father and daughter and their dancing.
Danni
Jul 31, 2014 Danni rated it it was amazing
amazing
Luann
Mar 15, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Luann by: Leslie G.
Shelves: picture-book, 2011
This is a tear-jerker! It may be one of those picture books that mostly adults love, but I don't think most children would dislike it. They just wouldn't quite understand the depth of the story. I could see this as a wonderful book for fathers to read to their daughters since it portrays such a loving father-daughter relationship. I particularly loved the illustrations. My favorite is the first picture with the little girl wearing a flowered hat and beads and dressing up her cat in a pink frilly ...more
Sheri
May 27, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kids
A beautiful book with wonderful illustrations. It was such a sweet story and my voice broke several times while trying to read it to McKenna. I'm thinking that Richard Paul Evans' children's books are written more for adults than for kids. McKenna liked the book mostly because it talked about a little girl dancing, but I think the main significance of the story was lost on her. But in my own opinion, five minutes well spent.
Mel
Sep 14, 2008 Mel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all dancers big or small.
I personally found this book to be quite moving, and quite honestly have to admit that I choked up reading the story. At first I was not quite sure how my lil one would feel about it for I thought that it was "too old" of a story line, but she was soooo in tuned to this very touching story that she told me over and over how much she loved it.

Roseanne Wilkins
May 07, 2011 Roseanne Wilkins rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful picture book, especially when you know the front cover is a painting of a girl who died not long after the picture the painting was based on was taken. It's a book about the ties between a father and his daughter. My husband rarely cries, but he couldn't stop the tears when he read this book.
Judith
Aug 22, 2008 Judith rated it it was amazing
Great pictures as it is a children's book. I didn't have much contact with my father growing up so at first this was hard to accept. Then I realized I'm not guilty he was. It's amazing how personal we take books and that's the purpose of Richard Paul Evan's books to begin with. In the end I loved the book.
Tiff
Oct 24, 2013 Tiff rated it it was amazing
Richard told this story one night as we traveled in the dark on the bus in Italy. It was so wonderful to hear the cadence of his voice, with his interpretation of what he intended when he wrote this story, along with the the background explanation of why he wrote the book. Very emotional experience.
Olivia
Oct 27, 2013 Olivia rated it liked it
This book presents a consistent and loving father who's joy is to watch his daughter dance. It has gorgeous pictures and teaches of life after death and hints at the eternal nature of families. The paintings are gorgeous. I would definitely read this to a daughter who loved to dance.
Ashleigh
Jan 26, 2010 Ashleigh rated it it was ok
A child's book...wasn't prepared for that. Pretty predictable and a little cheesy. The best part about the book was the explanation of the picture on the cover.

Shenn bought it for me for Christmas thinking it was a regular book. Oh well I guess I'll keep it.
Naomi Campbell
Nov 17, 2015 Naomi Campbell rated it liked it
I thought I was getting a regular one of this books, like a novel. This was a children's book, so I just read it as a bedtime story to the kids. It was heartfelt, sad, but happy.
Linsey
Jun 06, 2008 Linsey rated it it was amazing
This book is very tender and has a great story behind it. Another great daddy daughter book. I actually read it just before my own dad passed away and now it is a great treasure to me.
Julie
Feb 04, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
My father picked this up one day while at our home and read through it. He was wiping tears from his eyes at the end. It surprised me to see him so touched by the story.
Angela
Aug 28, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
I didn't personally read this, Richard Paul Evans shared the story live at an event I attended. I really want to get a copy of this book. It was so great, he was so great.
Katrina
Jul 05, 2011 Katrina rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was a children's book till I picked it up at the library. But it is very moving and almost made me cry while I was reading it to my girls.
Carrie
Sep 21, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
I know that this is a picture book and all, but it made me cry.
Just a warning for anyone in my fam who may read it....liked it but be prepared, you may cry.
Danay Perkins
Feb 23, 2010 Danay Perkins rated it it was amazing
This is just a little kids book that by dad bought me years and years ago. But i love it because it reminds me of me so I read it a lot! its a cute book =]
Lori
Dec 29, 2013 Lori added it
A favorite of my daughter's and mine!
Jen
Apr 15, 2008 Jen rated it liked it
I was given this book when my Dad passed away. It is a very sweet story. I would probably have liked it better if my memories weren't so close to my heart.
Culleen
Mar 02, 2012 Culleen rated it really liked it
beautifully written story with beautiful illustrations! Definitely a book that I will be tucking away to give to our daughter on her wedding day!
  • Daughter of a King
  • Rough Weather Ahead for Walter the Farting Dog
  • Annika's Secret Wish
  • Big Anthony and the Magic Ring
  • Draw Me a Star
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...