Start by marking “A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats” as Want to Read:
A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats

A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  15 reviews
As a young man, William Butler Yeats was deeply affected by the idea of romantic love, or, as he called it, "the old high way of love." Characteristically, much of his early poetry that which was written prior to 1910, is poetry that belongs to courtship.

When Yeats was twenty-three years old, he met and fell in love with the beautiful Irish nationalist, Maud Gonne. Althoug
Published November 15th 1985 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A Poet to His Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Poet to His Beloved

Matisse Nikolaevna
I loved idea of him expressing his feelings for his love in a poem, when I was reading I could understand the emotions that he was communicating especially because I was reading it with my dad. My favourite poem was He Tells Of A Valley Full Of Lovers because one of the lines said, "With her cloud-pale eyelids falling on dream-dimmed eyes", both my dad and me liked it.
J.
Mar 31, 2011 J. added it
Loooove this book of poems. They feed my soul.
Nick Traynor
A lovely little volume of 41 Yeats poems from his younger years. Most were kind of on the sullen side, but The Ragged Wood is one of my favourite poems ever. I read this with Matisse, reading alternate verses. It was a great experience.
Karen
This book is beautiful.The poems are often melancholy, but especially lovely read out loud, like "Never Give All the Heart". My favourite, though, is "The Ragged Wood".
Ronald Wise
This collection of "love poems" was surprisingly relevant to this old fart whose days of obsessive romance are long gone. I began it fearing a series of love-obsessed odes and lamentations, but soon realized that more common were verses addressing the disappointment of faded infatuations - or perhaps those were simply the aspects with which I could most readily identify. Having been previously overwhelmed by a much larger collection of Yeats' poems, this smaller selection was much more enjoyable ...more
Sandy Neal
My ex-husband said he loved Yeats and I was reading a book that referenced some of his peoety. So, I picked up this book and took some time to read these poems. I just didn't connect with them.

However, the book itself is lovely. I loved the jacketcover, the reproductions of Edward Calvert and Samuel Palmer artwork and the lovely purple endpages.

I will save this for my Irish daughter.
Jeana
ah yeats... I love your neatly tucked-away celtic gods...but my favorite of the book is the song of wandering aengus, looking for the one that got away!
Damara Drea
I specifically bought this collection because, at the time, it was one of the few places you could find "When You Are Old", a favorite of mine. That said, I love how Yeats just painfully and poignantly talks about life in general most of the time. This is a great little collection, which gives you a better feel for what the author's life and emotional experiences must have been at times without having to sift through the entirety of his works.
Rachel
Mar 06, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Cami
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful. I particularly like "When You Are Old." Knowing the back story of Yeats life, this collection is particularly poignant. I've read some of his later pieces, but don't enjoy them as much. Except I do love "A Prayer For My Daughter."
Dominish
I just bought this today at the library book sale. On the cover page someone wrote "Jim- You are my poetry , my beloved, my inspiration! Happy Birthday with love, Maya. 10/1/98" So cute <3
Julian
Stunning. I could read this dozens of times over (and I will).
Guillermo
must read again to write a review.
Susanne
Absolutely superb!!!
Con
The Cap and Bells stands out.
Crass the head
When you are old...
Nuno Picareta
Nuno Picareta is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Janicia Ortiz
Janicia Ortiz marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Suzanne R. Turpin
Suzanne R. Turpin marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Za Yd
Za Yd marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • The Gorgeous Nothings: Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems
  • Complete Poems of Stephen Crane
  • Meadowlands
  • All-American Poem
  • The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)
  • Your Money or Your Life: Economy and Religion in the Middle Ages
  • Itaca per sempre
  • Collected Lyrics
  • William Tell Told Again
  • Problems of Knowledge and Freedom: The Russell Lectures
  • Kyrie: Poems
William Butler Yeats (pronounced /ˈjeɪts/) was an Irish poet and dramatist, and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature. A pillar of both the Irish and British literary establishments, in his later years Yeats served as an Irish Senator for two terms. He was a driving force behind the Irish Literary Revival, and along with Lady Gregory and Edward Martyn founded the Abbey Theatre, se ...more
More about W.B. Yeats...
The Collected Poems Irish Fairy and Folk Tales Selected Poems Poetry, Drama and Prose Selected Poems and Four Plays