Start by marking “Who is Coming to Our House?” as Want to Read:
Who is Coming to Our House?

Who is Coming to Our House?

"Who is coming to our house?

Someone, someone," says Mouse.

Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 24th 2001 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Who is Coming to Our House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is Coming to Our House?

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
289th out of 796 books — 1,109 voters
Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateWho is Coming to Our House? by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Takes a Field Trip with Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
Best of Joseph Slate
2nd out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

David
Dec 13, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Who is Coming to Our House? (paperback] by Joseph Slate, illustrated by Ashley Wolff follows the animals who get the stable ready for Joseph and Mary, and their blessed event.

Wolff's detailed drawings of single and double page spreads focus on the animals and what they do to get ready for Joweph and Mary. My favorite images are mouse & all animals, goat, sheep telling hens to dust, Geese stacking, duck plucking, hen laying, peacock, and last three illustrations.

Goat butts aside a cart, Pig
Annette
Dec 16, 2008 Annette rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians everywhere
I like this one because it's the nativity with a different twist. It's told from the barn animal's points of view. They all work hard to prepare the barn for their special guests. It's surprising what one can learn from a simple Children's book, I think the subtle message here is: "What are WE doing to prepare for the Savior"?
Madeline Huhta
In the book Who Is Coming To Our House? There is a mouse who knows that someone special is on their way to the house. All the animals get ready for this someone special. Soon they will find out.
This book is short and sweet. It shows the compassion for someone when they don’t even know who is coming. I think that is a good rule of thumb. It doesn’t matter who is coming over, but to accept them.
This historical book is a story of the story of Mary and Joseph. It makes it easy for children to under
Asho
This is a pleasant variation on the story of the birth of Jesus, focused on the manger animals who are anticipating His arrival. I found the illustrations charming, my one-year-old enjoyed pointing to the animals, and my three-year-old liked this so much that he asked to take it to school one day to share it with his class.
Joe
Sep 30, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It would be very easy to over-read this book, and see too much meaning in the actions of the different animals, but I will try to avoid doing so.
Joseph Slate's simple but effective reading of the traditional nativity story is succinct and accessible, and forces the reader to reconsider their approach. Unlike The Story of the Other Wise Man, this story does not spend extensive paragraphs in painting different landscapes, but tells its message, with wide but basic illustrations, and leaves the rea
Ashley
Jul 16, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
A beautiful Christmas story that focuses on all the animals in the stable preparing a place for Mary and Joseph to welcome baby Jesus into the world. Each animal readies the space and waits expectantly for their arrival. Alice loves this story.
Kelly
Dec 09, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
great introductory Christmas Story for babies and toddlers my 1 year old daughter loves it and points to all the animals. she also likes the rhyming and repitition. My nearly 4 year old son thought it was fun as well.
Eric Moote
Dec 23, 2015 Eric Moote rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Overall: Great art work and rhyming scheme.

Content is Christmas oriented and a fun seasonal book with lots of great artwork for a board book. I thought is was perfect for our 6 month old.

Thanks Sally!
Ashley
Dec 09, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it
Awkward rhymes. Clunky rhythms. Not at all a smooth read-aloud to my toddler (who loves rhyming books). We'll keep searching for better Christmas books about the nativity.
Ember
Mar 25, 2015 Ember rated it it was amazing
I very much like that this book was written in the point of view of the farm animals. This book was gifted to us by a friend and it is a very heartfelt story for young children.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
my kiddos (toddler and preschool age) loved this simple board book, with its animal-focused rendering of the first christmas.
Madison
Dec 10, 2015 Madison rated it it was amazing
Christmas told from the Point of view of the barn heard animals. Beautiful sentiment and detailed pictures.
Taryn
Dec 14, 2012 Taryn rated it it was amazing
This is a great story about the animals in the stable where Jesus was born, preparing for Mary and Joseph to arrive. Very sweet. Excellent read-aloud. Great way to talk about anticipation and preparation, which is what Advent is all about. I also appreciate the way the animals want to clean every part of the stable (even the spider wants to make new webs!), which symbolizes (for me) preparing our hearts for Christ. Advent is a penitential season.

Yes, I may be reading too much into this story, bu
Heidi
Jan 07, 2016 Heidi rated it it was amazing
My toddler memorized this quickly and I am delighted to hear him "reading" it to himself at times.
Kim Hampton
Dec 30, 2014 Kim Hampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story about how the animals prepared the barn for the arrival of a very special baby!
Shauna
Jul 23, 2015 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Beautiful woodcut art and sweet nativity story from the animals' viewpoints.
Palomablue
Mar 31, 2015 Palomablue rated it liked it
Illustrations are magnificent, but otherwise the story is very simple.
Peacegal
This book boasts beautiful artwork that resembles a combination of stained glass and wood cutting. I was actually surprised when it turned out to be a religiously-themed Christmas story, as the cover does not hint at this aspect. However, I was pleased to see the religious story includes animals in a positive way—a variety of farm animals prepare their manger for the arrival of Mary and Joseph. This might be a good starting point for discussions about the role animals play in many Bible stories, ...more
Amanda Snow
Dec 06, 2014 Amanda Snow rated it really liked it
One of our favorite books to share at Christmas!
Angie
Dec 09, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: ""Who is coming to our house?

Someone, someone," says Mouse.

As Pig makes room, Lamb cleans up, Goose stacks the hay, and Duck lines the crib with eiderdown, Mary and Joseph are on their way by donkey. All the animals welcome the baby Jesus to their home."

My Review: I loved this book. It was a cute and different take on the story of Jesus' birth. The animals know and make sure the stable is prepared for Mary and Joseph. The pictures are bold and vivid. A great story for the countdown t
Becky
May 01, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Touching Christmas story.
Christie rdg3320
Jun 29, 2008 Christie rdg3320 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for kindergarten or first grade because it is simple for them to read and it is a neat way of telling a part of the story of Christmas. I know its probably not a book you can use in public school. I think its a good example of writing because it gives each animal a voice and make the students wonder who is coming. I would use this story in my classroom to have them write about who is coming to there house using a similar form of the book.
Mckinley
Animals get the manger cleaned up.
Lisa Rathbun
A sweet read. A couple of the rhymes are awkward (a goose spreading the manger with eider, for example), but overall I enjoy this simple rhyming book with a variety of animals as they eagerly anticipate someone coming to their "house" -- a stable. Young children may even be surprised the first time they hear this book to realize that the visitor coming is JESUS!
Alice
Jan 02, 2013 Alice rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot. I like that it focuses on the animals getting ready for baby Jesus. Many of the nativity stories we have read always seem to have something wrong with them. Either they use text directly from the bible (not that great for a two year old) or the family is totally white. This kind of skirts those issues but retains the essence of the story.
Felicia
Finally! A toddler-friendly Christmas board book that is Christ-Centered, entertaining and accessible. It reads very nicely out loud and the illustrations are beautiful and engaging. My only criticism is that it doesn't tell us WHO (Jesus) arrived, although, it is easily discussed in an interactive reading method. I highly recommend!
Abby
Nov 23, 2013 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
Anticipation is built as animals wonder who is coming to their stable home. It is a good introduction story to the nativity from an animal's perspective, but it has a "good works" feel that won't be suitable for all Christian denominations.
Lisa
A sweet Christmas story told from the perspective of the animals awaiting the arrival of Joseph and Mary on Christmas Night, They each do something to prepare the stable for the birth of baby Jesus. We love this story.
Elizabeth
I'm looking for good Christmas stories for toddlers. This one was okay if you inserted the animal sounds yourself (though I don't know what an eider is or what sound it makes. Jen?).
Amanda
Jul 16, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amanda by: Uncle Doug & Aunt BJ
Very cute Advent story. I totally didn't expect it until at least half way through. My son really liked all the animals and even asks for it from time to time still 6 months later.
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale