Start by marking “The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing, 1450-1800” as Want to Read:
The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing, 1450-1800

The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing, 1450-1800

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Books, & the printed word more generally, are aspects of modern life that are all too often taken for granted. Yet the emergence of the book was a process of immense historical importance & heralded the dawning of the epoch of modernity. In this much praised history of that process, Lucien Febvre & Henri-Jean Martin mesh together economic and technological hist ...more
Published April 17th 1997 by Verso (London/NYC) (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Book

An oldie from grad school. It contains my favorite piece of trivia ever: "It was not until the 18th century that the efforts of Fournier and Didot forced the adoption of a definite standard of measurement, the points system, the 'point' being 144th the size of the king's foot. This is the unit of measurement used in typography to this day."
Bill
If you want to know about the beginning of books this scholarly work is for you. The author talks about the beginning of paper, the beginning of print and fonts, the way books were marketed and oh so much more. The book is a little dry and leans toward the French view of things but after reading it you will know how books began.
Jon
I'd read on subjects as insipid as the history of corn dogs if brilliant writers like Febvre chose to tackle them. Luckily, the Annales boys had their priorities in line. Probably the best written and compelling book/printing history I've read.
Ex Libris
The classic account of the amazingly rapid spread of printing in Europe. Technical in places, and pedantic in others, yet for the most part quite readable and well worth it. A must read for students of European history.
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2008 Rebecca marked it as to-read
The little bit I read for a paper convinced me to buy this. A through examination of the factors that lead to the rise of the printed codex we consider the standard "book." Everything from paper production to trade routes.
Rachel
This is an exhaustively researched compendium of minutiae from which a compelling narrative might someday be crafted. "The coming of the book" indeed--I still await it.
Pita-eater
This is a pretty well-known, seminal work about the history of printing. Unfortunately, some parts were a bit beyond my realm of comprehension. Plus I thought the font (Garamond) was too small.
Vip Vinyaratn
I've seen this book cited many times in Benedic Anerson's Imagined Communities, so I thought it should be interesting. and the writer's names are very appealing, of course...
Jesus
Nov 20, 2008 Jesus added it
Recommended to Jesus by: Henri Jean-Martin
Some early paper mills were situated in limestone regions because this is where rivers originated and the millers sought clean water.
removed2011
Dec 28, 2007 removed2011 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with an interest in Print History
While at times a little too dry, it's been an interesting insight into the origins and evolution of Print in Europe.
Brad
Brings the magic of reading down to earth, illuminating our transition into the digital age of reading.
Lane Wilkinson
The seminal text in the history of books, publishing, and printing.
Amcachopas
Mar 25, 2012 Amcachopas marked it as to-read
Shelves: mybooks
Edição FCG 2000
Anca Maria
I like the book.
Christin
Christin marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Rodrigo Barbosa
Rodrigo Barbosa marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Dec 16, 2014
Hallvard
Hallvard marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Hdw
Hdw marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Christian McCauley
Christian McCauley marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Laurel
Laurel added it
Nov 29, 2014
Richard Prins
Richard Prins marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Vicki Matthews
Vicki Matthews marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Libraries in the Ancient World
  • Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
  • Orality and Literacy: The Technologizing of the Word
  • Footsteps: Adventures of a Romantic Biographer
  • The Business of Books: How International Conglomerates Took Over Publishing and Changed the Way We Read
  • A Social History of Knowledge: From Gutenberg to Diderot, Based on the First Series of Vonhoff Lectures Given at the University of Groningen (Netherlands)
  • The People Speak: American Voices, Some Famous, Some Little Known: Dramatic Readings Celebrating the Enduring Spirit of Dissent
  • A History of Histories: Epics, Chronicles, Romances and Inquiries from Herodotus and Thucydides to the Twentieth Century
  • The Story of Writing: Alphabets, Hieroglyphs, and Pictograms
  • A History of Illuminated Manuscripts
Lucien Paul Victor Febvre was a French historian best known for the role he played in establishing the Annales School of history.
More about Lucien Febvre...
The Problem of Unbelief in the 16th Century: The Religion of Rabelais Life in Renaissance France Combats pour l'histoire Martin Luther : Un destin A Europa - Génese de uma Civilização