Start by marking “Earth Song (Medieval Song, #3)” as Want to Read:
Earth Song (Medieval Song, #3)

Earth Song (Medieval Song #3)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,050 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Philippa de Beauchamp, as impulsive as she is beautiful, flees her father's castle when she hears she is to be wed to the repellent Baron de Bridgport. But her daring escape in a wool wagon quickly becomes a misadventure, and she winds up in the arms of Dienwald de Fortenberry, a rogue as smooth and bold as Aquitaine wine.

Soon Philippa finds herself a prisoner at Dienwald'

Published September 4th 1990 by Onyx (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Earth Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth Song

Apr 12, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story, literally, had me in stitches, each and every time that I read it. Dienwald's reaction, when he finds out that he married the bastard daughter of the king was hilarious. It could have come off as overdone, but personally, considering the character of Dienwald, it fit perfectly!!
Regan Walker
Aug 27, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Entertaining Installment in the Song Series

Third in the Song series, and like the others set in 13th century England (Cornwall), this tells the story of Philippa de Beauchamp, very tall and impulsive daughter of Lord Henry. When she overhears her father planning to wed her to an old man, she runs away and ends up in the castle of Dienwald de Fortenberry, whom we met in FIRE SONG. Dienwald’s castle is rundown and his people and he dress in rags (which I didn’t like and felt was unrealistic). H
Korynn
May 06, 2010 Korynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
An atypical romance despite the typical plot. Philippa runs away from home due to a misunderstanding and ends up the prisoner of the rough and mercurial Dienwald. Despite the typical romance degradations: forced stripping, public nudity, sharing beds, foreplay while denying intercourse, spanking, derogatory names, Philippa remains unbroken and actually slowly takes control of his castle, gaining the admiration of his people, ferreting out traitors, until he is the last person to admit she is the ...more
Maura
Gina Mora
I love these two and all of the side characters. It's like the author suddenly realizes that, "Hey, rape isn't sexy." You know what is fun though? A spirited heroine and a stubborn hero. This book is fun and the thought of Dienwald as the son-in-law to the King is hilarious!
Debbie
Aug 26, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Loved the main characters and their "insults" back & forth, but yet you could get the feel of what was really going on behind those remarks.
Love that Philippa (main female character) is not a helpless female, but a woman who is educated won't take any crap. I respected her even though sometimes she acted before thinking and then had to suffer the consequences which is the base line of this story.
Yes, this is a medieval romance, but there is some suspense included, some fai
Regina
Mar 27, 2014 Regina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed the book. it was lighthearted and sometimes silly but very enjoyable none the less. the twists and turns were somehow expected but i just wanted to keep on reading and giggling. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys laughter and love
Pat Whitcomb
Apr 15, 2015 Pat Whitcomb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading

I enjoy the historical back ground as well as the series and the intertwining of past characters with the new characters from book to book. It is like revisiting old friends.
Tammy
Dec 28, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 4-stars
This is the book that got me started on her historical romances. A real tickle to the funny bone.
Melody Black
I felt quite annoyed with most of the book, but it kept me hooked. Particularly with Dienwald lol.
Beth Pearson
A perfect book to read on a LONG road trip. Didn't take tons of brain power, big enough print I didn't make myself sick reading in the car, and enjoyable characters. A few years ago, I read a reviewer talking about a Rom-Com movie and saying, "you know how ending is going to be...the interesting part is in the journey" and I totally agree with that in romance novels too. I knew Philippa de Beauchamp and Dienwald de Fortenberry would end up together for a happily ever after (no, I don't consider ...more
Vann
aduh cowo d buku ini (dienwald) bener2 brengsek deh..!! merlakuin lady terhormat cuma kaya cewe jalanan.. dikata2in, ditelanjangin d depan umum, dilecehin, dipukulin, di panggil dng sebutan giant, ugly, dsb.. pdhl heroine nya ga berbuat salah, cuma nyasar k kastil si dienwald..

uda gt si cewe cuma diem aja, ga kabur, ga dendam,, malah bantuin si dienwald buat ngurus kastil n ga lama mereka berdua jatuh cinta.. WTF..

hampir 3/4 buku diabisin buat berantem krn alesan yg ga jelas, maki2an yg berakhi
Rosemary
Sexy and thrilling
Julie
Oct 02, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story! Can't wait to start the next one in the series.
Linda-Ann
Jan 16, 2015 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Book 311
Ana
This reminded me of two of my favorite medieval romance books: Lady Gallant and Shadowheart. The heroes in those novels spoke and acted like Dinewald. The big difference here is Philippa is a no nonsense girl and is not a push over. I really enjoyed the roundabout way they fell in love. It is a fascinating book that paints the picture of an independent female in deeds and words. All hail strong, determined and confident women! :)
Marcia Adversalo
Sep 06, 2013 Marcia Adversalo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main feature of this storyline seemed to be that both characters would make wrong assumptions and over-react to situations in an over the top manner. I enjoyed the story, but would frequently find myself frustrated with the characters because they just wouldn't think. There were some humorous twists and turns that made the story interesting. The bad guys were a little predictable, but entertaining nonetheless.
Dawn
Aug 07, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Song Series No. 3: Philippa runs away to avoid an unwanted marriage. Dienwald is an impoverished Lord that finds her. There is a lot of blustering and male bravado. I like the lead lady because she is not afraid to knock the stupid man in the head when he needs it. I really liked the characters in this one.
Danielle
Oct 13, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quality of writing jumped significantly between Fire Song and this book. The characters were good, and the plot made more sense. There were a few issues with typos and a couple of plot holes, but I think those have more to do with the editor.
Lorka
Jul 10, 2013 Lorka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrifically-bad
I couldn't fall in love with the story, mainly because the guy was hooking up with other women instead of his wife. Maybe that's what it really was like back then, but not what I like to imagine as warm, fuzzy and romantic story.
April
Feb 10, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!!
Kat
Jul 25, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first foray into Catherine Coulter's books. Picked this one up on a whim at Wally-world... also my first foray into smut (a.k.a. adult romance books) and loved this author.
Nicole
Aug 18, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok book. However, I found myself wanting to skip ahead and get to the story itself. It seemed to move rather slowly and I did find myself skipping whole paragraphs.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Philippa is one who acts before she thinks. Sometimes people have to learn the hard way. I guess Philippa is one of those. I think she needs a spanking.
Lia Rock lantz
Feb 06, 2013 Lia Rock lantz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Phillipa's adventure that she embarked upon. I think the story andcharacters were likeable. It was esy for me to read for enjoyment.
Samantha
May 07, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny story, keeping with the rest of the Series! If you haven't read the other in this Series, DO! This one is my Favorite!
Nicole
Aug 23, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book (and the series) just don't do a lot for me. I like several other series of hers, but not this one.
Annette Meier
Somewhat "simple" at times - her plots are usually little more involved. Good twist in the heroine's heritage!
Lesli
May 27, 2013 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 1995
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance. My favorite of the series because of the characters.
  • The Raven and the Rose
  • The Lion's Bride
  • Dark Champion (Dark Champion, #2)
  • Winter Song (Siren Song, #2)
  • The Conquest (Peregrine #2)
  • Highland Rogue (Clan MacKenzie #2)
  • Impulse
  • Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)
  • Saxon Bride
  • The Warrior
  • A Gentle Feuding
  • Conquer The Night (Graham, #2)
  • The Conqueror

Medieval Song (7 books)
  • Warrior's Song (Medieval Song, #1)
  • Fire Song (Medieval Song, #2)
  • Secret Song (Medieval Song, #4)
  • Rosehaven (Medieval Song, #5)
  • The Penwyth Curse (Medieval Song, #6)
  • The Valcourt Heiress (Medieval Song, #7)