Blank-133x176
A Season in Hell

Jack Higgins

A Season in Hell

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  37 reviews

In Paris, a Cambridge University student is murdered. When his body arrives in England it will be stuffed with pure heroin....On a training field used by Britain's elite Special Air Service, a young sergeant hones his killing skills to a fever pitch....In New York's finest restaurant, a beautiful woman shakes hands with the Vice President. Tomorrow, she will enter a world

Published December 28th 1988 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1988)

Henri Moreaux
Written in 1989 prior to the Sean Dillon books this novel contains the base characters for what morphed into those in the Sean Dillon books.

This book's Sean Egan basically is the same as Sean Dillon; both grew up in England, moved to Ulster where disaster struck and their parents were killed. Egan's died to the IRA and joined the UK military, Dillon's died to the UK military and joined the IRA. Both are 'super' assassins. Both drive Mini Coopers. They're so hard to distinguish that many people i...more
Luvinthislife
Good enough, I guess

Good enough, I guess

This read moved along fast and had plenty of action. Otherwise it was nothing special. There was never really much doubt about the protagonist's action at the ending and the entire grand finale was quite fabricated. I really doubt I'll remember much about it once I submit this review.
Louann
Read this book!!!

Read this book!!!

Lots of action. Always kept me guessing until the end.
Characters were well developed, so much so even I was kind of sympathizing with one of the bad guys.
gordon gesner
Suspense at its best

Suspense at its best

As always a great read I couldn't put the book down, the ending was surprising...I try and read all h books.
Katie
I am not going to lie, I didn't particularly enjoy this story. It was a wanna-be gangster tale that was sprinkled with spies and rainy weather on the docks. There were too many clichces in such a small work that I couldn't get over that fact. Technically, it was well-written. The style that Higgins used was classical, matter-of-fact, and there was nothing wrong with that. It seemed a little monotone to me, considering the plot was centered around drug deals and murders, but what do I know?

I reco...more
David Farnsworth
Good of kind

nice thriller read, interesting historical views of the Irish issues. a bit out of date now, but pleasant entertainment. worth the Kindle price.
Teri Pre
I really wanted to give this one 5 stars but there were a couple of things that were just off so I couldn't. I forgot how much I enjoy Jack Higgins' books. I'll have to read more of them!
Lee
This early book by Higgins seems to be a precursor to his current Sean Dillon/Charles Ferguson novels. A member of the Sas Sean Egan who is leaving the service is recruited by the top secret group run by Charles Ferguson. he rejects there overtures but through one of Ferguson's men he becomes involved in the case of Sarah Talbot who is searching for her sons murder. the case goes from the UK to Sicily to Ireland before the final conclusion. Not as good as the later Sean Dillon books but an okay...more
Jamie
A university student is murdered by a drug ring so his body can be used to smuggle heroin from France into England. His Stepmother will not let go until justice is served. She enlists the help of former SAS soldier Sean Egan, whom has a personal stake in the matter. Bit by bit they take apart the drug ring until they close in on the elusive Mr. Smith.

My first Jack Higgins book. I would definitely read more of his many books.
Yulia
Sarah Talbot really knew what she really wanted. She capable of got into the hell of a drugs world just to find out about the truth of her step son's death. But she's in the good hand of Sean Egan, he got a big connection to every big man in military. That's all Sarah needed to survive in her battle with the Don from Sicily beside her famous Wall Street Lawyer title.
Darren
One of the best books I've ever read. This was not the first Sean Dillon book I read, but it is by far the best. This was one book I had to make sure I had several hours of free time before I began reading it because I had to force myself to put it down... it was that good.
Bob
Another good Jack Higgins with Brigadier Fergusan, Sarah Talbot Egan and Jago as Sarah goes in search of the people responsible for her stepson’s Murder. They take on a well organized drug gang in the process and bodies fall by the wayside before the conclusion.
Sergio ruocchio
sicuramente l'autore merita un plauso per questo testo ben costruito e nel complesso molto interessante... certo non si puo' non ricordare la similitudine con i testi di McNab, questo ricercare un contatto con un autore simile ne riduce la qualità.
Douglas Cook
First sentence, "Just after four, as first light started to seep through the bamboo slats above his head, it rained again, slowly at first, developing into a solid drenching downpour from which there was no escape."
Christine
A 2.5 actually. I love Higgens, but this book lacked real direction, poor character development. When I think about Sean Egan as compared to the later Sean Dillon, it added to my disappointment.
Pat
I love Jack Higgins and I loved this book! Twists and a surprise at every turn. From NY to England to Paris to Sicily to Ireland, the action and the surprises never stop. Great fun!
Fran
May 31, 2009 Fran rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers, Jack Higgins fans
Recommended to Fran by: in the Walter Reed Hospital free bookshelves
An older Jack Higgins novel I had somehow missed. Like all his books it is somewhat violent, and always a little predictable, but also enjoyable. Like candy for your brain.
Marsha
This book was good. Not great, but good. everything was wrapped up nicely in the end which I like in a thriller (hate to get to the end and feel like I'm left hanging).
Pat
I love Jack Higgins and I loved this book. Twists and a surprise at every turn--from NY to England to Paris to Sicily to Ireland. The best kind of page turner.
Alistair
Really cheese.

Couldn't help but notice that the heroine takes constant showers while the hero makes tea, presumably covered in mud and gore.
Matthew Hux
Good book with one character Sean that I loved however the supporting character didn't seem quite... real enough. Good read just for Sean though.
Allison
Great fun for the reader as you follow Sarah and Sean from one clue to another all the way to a surprise ending.
Scott
Certainly not Higgins' best effort. His stories usually have more imagination and better character development.
Lois
Give me back Sean Dillon. The plot was fair, the action not very exciting and characters too unidimensional
Bob
This is the first book I have read by Jack Higgins, I will definitely read more.
Jim

Book is from the mid-80's and dated terribly. Go with a new book then this one.
Donna Lanheady
I've read most of the Sean Dillon books and enjoyed every one of them.
Dhairav
fast paced but a disappointing storyline. not too bad for a light summer read.
TheIron Paw
A decent thriller. A good holiday read for fun and excitement.
Joe
Pretty good book. Good characters and storyline.
  • Silent Partner
  • Win, Lose or Die (John Gardner's Bond, #8)
  • HMS Ulysses
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • The Tightrope Men
  • The Gold Bat
  • Timothy's Game
  • The Far Country
  • ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • The Road To Omaha
  • Extreme Denial
  • The Bombmaker
  • Avenger
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) The Eagle Has Flown