Start by marking “A Season in Hell” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Jack Higgins

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  50 reviews

In Paris, a Cambridge University student is murdered. When his body arrives in England it will be stuffed with pure heroin....On a training field used by Britain's elite Special Air Service, a young sergeant hones his killing skills to a fever pitch....In New York's finest restaurant, a beautiful woman shakes hands with the Vice President. Tomorrow, she will enter a world

Published December 28th 1988 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Season in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season in Hell

Henri Moreaux
Written in 1989 prior to the Sean Dillon books this novel contains the base characters for what morphed into those in the Sean Dillon books.

This book's Sean Egan basically is the same as Sean Dillon; both grew up in England, moved to Ulster where disaster struck and their parents were killed. Egan's died to the IRA and joined the UK military, Dillon's died to the UK military and joined the IRA. Both are 'super' assassins. Both drive Mini Coopers. They're so hard to distinguish that many people i
Luvinthislife
Good enough, I guess

Good enough, I guess

This read moved along fast and had plenty of action. Otherwise it was nothing special. There was never really much doubt about the protagonist's action at the ending and the entire grand finale was quite fabricated. I really doubt I'll remember much about it once I submit this review.
Frank Barfod
Well written but a surprise

Well written but a surprise

Patterson writes well of intrigue and murder. his characters draw you in and continue to.develop, as did Mrs. Talbot. following the death of her stepson, she flew to England, encountered violence and murder, and provided the winning shot to solve it.

well done!
Carol Creason
I have found another Author I enjoy.

I have found another Author I enjoy.

I enjoyed the pace and especially the ending. The characters were genuine, well developed, reminded me of people I have known. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Walt Mccluskey
A Season in Hell

Continuous action from start to finish and several curves in between. A totally unexpected ending that made sense when viewed in retrospect. The ending left room for several different follow-ups as future books and I plan to see if they exist.
David Kruse
FINALLY AN UNDERSTANDING

A well written, well thought out read. Characters were well managed and descripted quite nicely. After reading these types of books for many years I found the ending crisp and imaginary.
paul kstzenberger
Great read!

Great read!

hard to put this book down, non-stop action with a different twist from my usual reads. totally enjoyed every chapter and will definitely read more of his work!
Louann
Read this book!!!

Read this book!!!

Lots of action. Always kept me guessing until the end.
Characters were well developed, so much so even I was kind of sympathizing with one of the bad guys.
John Williams
Another reread from my libray and I couldn't remember it. If you like action novels with lots of killing this is ok. Seemed a little over the top to me but at one point I couldn't put it down.
gordon gesner
Suspense at its best

Suspense at its best

As always a great read I couldn't put the book down, the ending was surprising...I try and read all h books.
Sue
Eh.

Fairly disappointing entry from an otherwise normally skilled author. Ridiculously canned dialog, contrived circumstances, unbelievable characters and ending.
Ed Dillon
Couldn't put it down

A real page Turner. I was unable to put it down as the place plot twisted and turned in search of the mysterious Mr. Smith.
Bill
Too formulaic, no character development, no red herrings, evry detail introduced serves only the convenience of the plot line.
Michele bookloverforever
revenge leads 2 people on a wild hunt for the drug king responsible for the deaths of their loved ones....and the truth hurts...
Katie
I am not going to lie, I didn't particularly enjoy this story. It was a wanna-be gangster tale that was sprinkled with spies and rainy weather on the docks. There were too many clichces in such a small work that I couldn't get over that fact. Technically, it was well-written. The style that Higgins used was classical, matter-of-fact, and there was nothing wrong with that. It seemed a little monotone to me, considering the plot was centered around drug deals and murders, but what do I know?

I reco
David Farnsworth
Good of kind

nice thriller read, interesting historical views of the Irish issues. a bit out of date now, but pleasant entertainment. worth the Kindle price.
Teri Pre
I really wanted to give this one 5 stars but there were a couple of things that were just off so I couldn't. I forgot how much I enjoy Jack Higgins' books. I'll have to read more of them!
Diana
Good Book, like any thing Jack Higgins would write.
David
Not his best. Convoluted and unbelievable at points.
Quick read. Forgettable
Lee
This early book by Higgins seems to be a precursor to his current Sean Dillon/Charles Ferguson novels. A member of the Sas Sean Egan who is leaving the service is recruited by the top secret group run by Charles Ferguson. he rejects there overtures but through one of Ferguson's men he becomes involved in the case of Sarah Talbot who is searching for her sons murder. the case goes from the UK to Sicily to Ireland before the final conclusion. Not as good as the later Sean Dillon books but an okay ...more
Tony Pucci
Higgins doing what he does best, short and simple, moving the action along. A good book for short breaks at work.
 Julie
a wild ride, I enjoyed it
Jamie
A university student is murdered by a drug ring so his body can be used to smuggle heroin from France into England. His Stepmother will not let go until justice is served. She enlists the help of former SAS soldier Sean Egan, whom has a personal stake in the matter. Bit by bit they take apart the drug ring until they close in on the elusive Mr. Smith.

My first Jack Higgins book. I would definitely read more of his many books.
Yulia
Sarah Talbot really knew what she really wanted. She capable of got into the hell of a drugs world just to find out about the truth of her step son's death. But she's in the good hand of Sean Egan, he got a big connection to every big man in military. That's all Sarah needed to survive in her battle with the Don from Sicily beside her famous Wall Street Lawyer title.
Darren
One of the best books I've ever read. This was not the first Sean Dillon book I read, but it is by far the best. This was one book I had to make sure I had several hours of free time before I began reading it because I had to force myself to put it down... it was that good.
Bob
Another good Jack Higgins with Brigadier Fergusan, Sarah Talbot Egan and Jago as Sarah goes in search of the people responsible for her stepson’s Murder. They take on a well organized drug gang in the process and bodies fall by the wayside before the conclusion.
Sergio ruocchio
sicuramente l'autore merita un plauso per questo testo ben costruito e nel complesso molto interessante... certo non si puo' non ricordare la similitudine con i testi di McNab, questo ricercare un contatto con un autore simile ne riduce la qualità.
Sana
I have read better books by him. It does get better as you read it though. Not one of His best.
Douglas Cook
First sentence, "Just after four, as first light started to seep through the bamboo slats above his head, it rained again, slowly at first, developing into a solid drenching downpour from which there was no escape."
  • Fury (Tweed & Co. #12)
  • Win, Lose or Die (John Gardner's Bond, #8)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Silent Partner
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
  • The Road To Omaha
  • Games of the Hangman
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Extreme Denial
  • The Call of the Wild
  • The River
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)