Start by marking “The Middle Sister: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Middle Sister: A Novel

The Middle Sister: A Novel

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  15 reviews
�As Kwai Chang moved through the arid desert of the American West, I would move through the equally desolate ghettos of Brooklyn, and we would each search: he for his family and I for my father. . . .�

The middle of three sisters, Pamela is a quiet, thoughtful girl with a huge hole in her life�the space her father used to fill before her mother kicked him out. Occasio...more
Published May 31st 2005 by One World/Ballantine

To ask other readers questions about The Middle Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle Sister

Bonnie
Oct 15, 2007 Bonnie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: over sixteen
Kind of dumb not to give the book that I wrote 5 stars! I recommend it and hope that everyone within range of this email buy it! Available through all major bookstores, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.!
Debbie
Jul 11, 2007 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The voice in this book is terrific, the pacing fast, the story excellent. A mother devolves quickly into psychotic depression after her husband leaves her, and three sisters raise themselves in the projects of Brooklyn.

It's a story about family, what family is, what a real family is (not what we are told by the family value toting crowd every election).
The lives depicted in the book are realistically presented. Bonnie Glover does a terrific job showing it like it is--this is survival when home...more
Adriane
Oct 15, 2007 Adriane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone 16 and older
This was by far an awe-inspiring raw tale of growing up amongst tragedy at an age when we are just learning who we are. Excellent, gritty, laugh out loud, good cry material and an overall great read. Kudos!
Precious
Jul 13, 2007 Precious rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
I think this book was probably 'slept on' because I only discovered it by chance. I stumbled across an interview with the book's author, Bonnie Glover online. In the interview she seemed so delightful that I felt moved to email her and we struck up an email friendship. I then ordered her novel from Amazon and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I think the novel is frankly fantastic. Moving. Evocative. Superlative dialogue and setting. I utterly empathized with the quirky, spirited main pro...more
Melody
I ordered this book from the library a loooong time ago. When I checked on it last month, the librarian said, "We show 5 copies, all lost." I figured it was going to be really good based on that.

And it was. I started reading it around 8 pm, and closed the book somewhere during the middle of the night. It's a very satisfying read, with well-developed characters and an interesting plot. I even began to like the imaginary friend plot device by the end of the book. The story is emotionally involvin...more
Chrisiant
This was another great book for jumping into a reality not my own. It's full of strong, struggling female characters who get dealt a crappy hand and find their way through. I feel like every time I read an AA novel my sense of modern AA culture is expanded. There are so many assumed cultural references that fly right over my head, or that I just didn't know were a 'thing', and I'm glad for these books ability to make some of this accessible to me.
Mary
I just loved this book! From start to finish, the plot held my interest, but it was the characters that really made the book come alive for me--their troubles, their interactions, and most of all their love. The Middle Sister is a really fine read!
Megan
I LOVED this book. The voices in this book and Bonnie's ability to allow you to become another member of this family were amazing. Can't wait for another one, Bonnie!
Racquel

It was okay. The storyline was good, the characters were easy to relate to, and some of the situations were hilarious! What I liked most about the book was how easily everything flowed. It didn't feel like other books where you can tell something was taken out or added. It was just a continuous storyline.

I felt like some points were repeated a bit too much. But I can understand how it tied the story together. The part I liked the least was the imaginary China man. The whole imaginary thing was...more
Cayr
Valerie
I read this book in a few hours and in some ways, related to it more than the author's other novel, Going Down South. Could this sense of the familiar be due to my youth spent growing up in the East New York section of Brooklyn, shopping on Pitkin Avenue, purchasing special occasion dresses from Abraham & Strauss 'downtown' and catching the Number 14 bus to the library on Eastern Parkway? Perhaps so, even though the particular family dynamics of the protagonists from this novel were complete...more
Iejones
I plodded through it. A good story line about sisters and a mentally ill mother, however, the father was not fully explained. He had a proclivity for women and lots of them - that was not enough reason for his "change" that occurred in the story. I enjoyed how each sister " evolved" but there were some rough edges that could have been expanded. I LOVE detail and explanation this book had flirtatous moments with each but nothing that would make it pass second base.
Karey
Oct 06, 2007 Karey marked it as to-read
I just read the description of The Middle Sister. It sounds like a wonderful story. I plan to look for it right away. I noticed Meg loved it, so that makes me want to get it even more. She's a librarian, and I trust librarians as much as I trust my mother!
Abby
Dec 28, 2009 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: the author!
Growing up as the middle black sister in the 70's with a family that has the odds stacked against it. Raw and real.
Kianna
i thought this book was ok but its not the type of book that makes you jump out of your seat !
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Neissia
Neissia marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Cheyenne Denisha
Cheyenne Denisha marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Tiomi Johnson
Tiomi Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Christina Borgoyn
Christina Borgoyn marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Quay
Quay marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013