Start by marking “The Soup Bible” as Want to Read:
The Soup Bible

The Soup Bible

A comprehensive introduction includes step-by-step recipes for creating the perfect stock and suggests garnishes for a professional finish.
Published 2006 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Soup Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soup Bible

Corinne
Apr 26, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
"Over 200 recipes from around the world" it says on the cover. There are beautiful pictures for *every single* recipe. I love that in a cookbook.

I've read it from cover to cover and will try a handful of recipes. I will only make so few mostly because I'm a picky eater and don't want to experiment at this time but do want to master a few good soups. Also because I want "meal" soups, I should of got a book about stews.

A couple of things to keep in mind about this book. I'd say it's for an interm
Catherine Woodman
I recieved this book as a present over the weekend, and while I have only made one soup so far (potato-cabbage with caraway seeds), it is a cook book with a wide range of soups, outstanding photos, not too complicated--the recipes are not long on details, so for a beginner, it might not work as well, and tips about when to use stock to enrich the soup are not here, but for an experienced soup maker, there are alot of choices, and not all of them things that I have had experience with. For instan ...more
Lia
Mar 09, 2014 Lia rated it really liked it
I've never been into cooking, but this year (2014) I decided to become a soup maven (because homemade soups are a pleasure to eat), and so I bought this book and started making a soup every week. I've enjoyed drooling over the familiar and exotic soups in the book (lovely pics!), and choosing some to make, and putting them together for my family. I learned that cooking can be easy and pleasurable, so I'm converted. :) It's a great book, and even when it calls for making things from scratch like ...more
Lorraine
Feb 06, 2014 Lorraine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy cooking, especially soup.
Some excellent sounding recipes. The illusrated steps will help the cook a great deal. I am looking forward to trying some of these recipes if the company who is renovating our kitchen ever finishes this particular renovation !!! I an somewhat disappointed in this book as a 'bible' cookbook should have every term needed, as many questions answered as possible relating to the making of soup, and a wider variety of the kinds of soups than the ones included here. The photography makes this book a l ...more
Creolecat
Mar 05, 2015 Creolecat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
When the days become long, the body becomes lethargic and even the tar is beginning to melt, the last place one wants to be is in a hot kitchen. Summer is the season for quick, light meals that don't take a lot of time, but restore your energy. But if you do have to get into the kitchen, rather than throwing together the customary salad, how about a bowl of soup after that dip in the pool?

Consulting editor Debra Mayhew has combed the four corners of the globe to bring together a collection of wo
Linda
Sep 08, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Good, general book about making soups. Lots of ideas and variations. The kind of book a soup lover will refer to often. It got me to try soups I never would have thought to make like the tamarind soup with peanuts and vegetables or the cream of parsnip soup.
Ami
Feb 21, 2012 Ami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Another cookbook where recipes looked good enough to eat, but not really worth cooking, except for one. I made the Garlic Chickpea Soup, which was tasty, but called for cream, which I don't usually make a habit of cooking with. It was tasty, though.

The weird thing about this book is that there's another soup book right next to it in the library, The Soup Bible, by the same author, and upon further inspection, it appears to be the same exact book. Why the library has both, I have no idea. I pick
Lobstergirl
Sep 24, 2014 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alina Kabaeva

This is one of those large format cookbooks Borders used to sell in their bargain section. It's beautifully photographed. Everything looks enticing. I would estimate about one-third of the recipes require a food processor or blender, and none are overly challenging for a home cook. There's only one recipe I wouldn't make, Stargazer Vegetable Soup, which requires you to cut star shapes from thinly sliced vegetables with a tiny cookie cutter...to be fair, it is in the section "Special Occasion Sou
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 30, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen, Carol, Regina
Recommended to GoldenjoyBazyll by: Nanette
OK.... so it is the holidays and I am cooking crazy! This is an AWESOME- not your stone soup variety- cookbook. I got it about 4 years ago on the Barnes and Noble sale shelves (and I still see them every time I am there). The receipes are interesting/ some are unusual takes on common soups AND are not complicated to make! If you love soup- you will love this!!!! Watch out Cambell's!!!!!
Karen
Mar 20, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Best soup recipes around, but I really bought it for the pictures. Not good for beginners since it leaves a lot unsaid. Example: in the parsnip soup it says "add herbs" but doesn't tell you what kind. Many more things like that pop up. But if you just want a good guideline and some great pictures to see if it comes out right, it's a bargain. Best tomato soup EVER.
Jamie
Sep 28, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: This was a gift from my Aunt Kelly
Shelves: cooking
I tend to bring this book out at this time of year. Something for evey palette for sure! This is one cook book I will never bore of! My only complaint is I have so many to choose from I don't know if I'll ever get through them all!!
Feb 01, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Mmmmmmmmm...excuse me while I slurp. I absolutely love soup and this book is chock-full of over 200 delicious sounding meals in a bowl.Inviting illustrations of every recipe add to the appeal.
Kelly
Feb 09, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is one of my favorite cook books and has its own spot on the counter. There is a large variety to choose from depending on your mood. I am slowly trying to make them all.
Karen
Oct 29, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of variety. Didn't love all the recipes but there were enough good ones to make this worthwhile. Cooking times are not always accurate.
Amanda
Aug 28, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary
A vast collection of soups from around the world. There's something for every time of year. A soup lovers delight!
Miriam
May 18, 2008 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah it's just a cookbook but it's hard to make a good soup and the recipes in here are really great.
Amy
Aug 07, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the only soup we really didn't like was borscht but maybe it was the thickness of the soup.
Anisa Aven
I'm a soup fanatic and this is a great recipe book to get my fix!
Katrin
Mar 11, 2012 Katrin rated it really liked it
mmmm soups.)
great selection.)
Kaitlin
Nov 06, 2007 Kaitlin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE SOUP. I want this book NOW.
Suzan
Sep 21, 2016 Suzan added it
Shelves: kookboeken
hm, paprikasoep!
Mell
Jan 18, 2014 Mell rated it liked it
yum.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Pairin Seelakhan
Pairin Seelakhan rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Self Confidence: The Remarkable Truth of Why a Small Change Can Make a Big Difference
  • Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You): Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste
  • The Book of Tofu
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
  • Do Not Open
  • Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • The Hundredth Monkey
  • Weber's Real Grilling: Over 200 Original Recipes
  • Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy