A Good Keen Man

A Good Keen Man

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Set against the rugged beauty of the New Zealand back country, this is the tale of a young man's introduction to the art of deer culling and follows the exploits of a good keen man as he learns the skills necessary to become a good bushman.
Published by Hodder Moa Beckett (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Keen Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Keen Man

Behind the Hood by Marita A. HansenPhenomena by Susan TarrThe Bone People by Keri HulmeThe Whale Rider by Witi IhimaeraMister Pip by Lloyd Jones
Books By New Zealand Authors
65th out of 466 books — 232 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussFire by Kristin CashoreInkheart by Cornelia Funke
Seeing Red
368th out of 1,038 books — 292 voters

More lists with this book...

TROLL
I read this book because:it is written by a New Zealander. It is also all about hunting which I am very interested in.

The category on the bingo board that this book fills is a book written by a NZer.

I found Harry very interesting because he thinks something new and he tries it he doesn't just sit their thinking about it he gets out there and does it and he is also very funny.like one time he made this explosive fitted with bullets.(So you could just lob the thing/grenade into a small mob of dee...more
George Anders
Good fun.

There are two paths into this book -- and both of them work. A Good Keen Man is a classic "coming-of-age story," in which an able-bodied but naive New Zealand teenager takes one of his first adult jobs, culling deer herds in the wilderness so that animal overpopulation won't destroy the local ecosystems. Barry Crump rides the ups-and-downs of this odd job as best he can, growing up in the process and sharing wry, wistful comments about it all.

I came into this book interested in anythin...more
Linda
Classic Crump, Grab a copy, a dog and your sleeping bag. Then you are off to the backblocks of New Zealand, when blokes were blokes.
Written as Crump talks, it makes you wonder how much actually happened or how much was thought up sitting around the fire after a hunting trip and a few too many beers.
Les
A great read from a great Kiwi author. Tells the story of a bloke's adventures as a contract deer culler in New Zealand. Highly recommended.
Tim
This book has sat on my shelf for years as it just didn't appeal.
How wrong I was! Written in a simple honest style these memoirs of the authors days as a deer culler in New Zealand are full of humour and observations about human nature. I'm not sure it would appeal to those who feel strongly about animal rights as it was written in a time when the government employed men such as Barry Crump to go out into the bush and basically shoot as many deer, goats and pigs as possible in order to maintain...more
Nathan
A thinly-disguised memoir of a postwar deer hunter. Inhabited by a rogues gallery of walk-in characters and told in a chatty, convivial manner (it helps if you know Crump's speaking voice) this was a quick fly-through. Rated PG. 3.5/5
Andrea
My daughter brought this book home from New Zealand as a gift for my father-in-law, who read it in one sitting and insisted that I read it immediately. It takes a while to get into it, but after a while it starts to grow on you.
Jared Gulian
Fantastic. A gentle, rolling humor. Really interesting to learn about the life of a deer culler. Beautiful landscape writing. Felt like I was out there with him.
Caleb
Really enjoyable piece of kiwi culture. Makes you want to get a dog and wander into the bush.
Benn Jamieson
Interesting take on old 1950's NZ.
McNatty
Got the feeling he merely rewrote his diary while in the bush
Donna R
Just what I needed :)
Jason Harman
Jason Harman marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Tim Graham
Tim Graham marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Hamish
Hamish marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
New Zealand author of semi-autobiographical comic novels based on his image as a rugged outdoors man.
More about Barry Crump...
Wild Pork And Watercress Bastards I have met A Good Keen Girl Hang On A Minute Mate Bullock Creek