Start by marking “A Good Keen Man” as Want to Read:
A Good Keen Man

A Good Keen Man

Set against the rugged beauty of the New Zealand back country, this is the tale of a young man's introduction to the art of deer culling and follows the exploits of a good keen man as he learns the skills necessary to become a good bushman.
Published by Hodder Moa Beckett (first published 1960)

TROLL
Apr 10, 2013 TROLL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book because:it is written by a New Zealander. It is also all about hunting which I am very interested in.

The category on the bingo board that this book fills is a book written by a NZer.

I found Harry very interesting because he thinks something new and he tries it he doesn't just sit their thinking about it he gets out there and does it and he is also very funny.like one time he made this explosive fitted with bullets.(So you could just lob the thing/grenade into a small mob of dee
George Anders
May 09, 2012 George Anders rated it really liked it
Good fun.

There are two paths into this book -- and both of them work. A Good Keen Man is a classic "coming-of-age story," in which an able-bodied but naive New Zealand teenager takes one of his first adult jobs, culling deer herds in the wilderness so that animal overpopulation won't destroy the local ecosystems. Barry Crump rides the ups-and-downs of this odd job as best he can, growing up in the process and sharing wry, wistful comments about it all.

I came into this book interested in anythin
Linda
Mar 16, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Classic Crump, Grab a copy, a dog and your sleeping bag. Then you are off to the backblocks of New Zealand, when blokes were blokes.
Written as Crump talks, it makes you wonder how much actually happened or how much was thought up sitting around the fire after a hunting trip and a few too many beers.
Les
Jan 19, 2013 Les rated it it was amazing
A great read from a great Kiwi author. Tells the story of a bloke's adventures as a contract deer culler in New Zealand. Highly recommended.
Scott
Dec 12, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
There was a time when this book was to be found in every seaside shack and mountain hut in New Zealand. Crump sold over a million of his books, in a country of what was around three million people at the time, so his titles sat on just about every bookshelf in the nation. Crump was about as famous as you could get in New Zealand in his day and it's only a small exaggeration to say that in my childhood the craggy face of Crumpy (as he was known) was as familiar to me as the reigning monarch's.

I r
Tim
Sep 26, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: hit, biographical
This book has sat on my shelf for years as it just didn't appeal.
How wrong I was! Written in a simple honest style these memoirs of the authors days as a deer culler in New Zealand are full of humour and observations about human nature. I'm not sure it would appeal to those who feel strongly about animal rights as it was written in a time when the government employed men such as Barry Crump to go out into the bush and basically shoot as many deer, goats and pigs as possible in order to maintain
Nathan
Jan 17, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thinly-disguised memoir of a postwar deer hunter. Inhabited by a rogues gallery of walk-in characters and told in a chatty, convivial manner (it helps if you know Crump's speaking voice) this was a quick fly-through. Rated PG. 3.5/5
Andrea
Jan 31, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
My daughter brought this book home from New Zealand as a gift for my father-in-law, who read it in one sitting and insisted that I read it immediately. It takes a while to get into it, but after a while it starts to grow on you.
Gary
Apr 29, 2015 Gary rated it liked it
good kiwi yarns
Jared Gulian
Jun 15, 2013 Jared Gulian rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. A gentle, rolling humor. Really interesting to learn about the life of a deer culler. Beautiful landscape writing. Felt like I was out there with him.
Fraser
Dec 20, 2016 Fraser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I only just discovered Barry Crump and I am very glad I did! Crumpy is a proper bushie and has plenty of good yarns from the Kiwi back country that captivate you. A real page turner!
Bc Beats
Nov 03, 2015 Bc Beats rated it it was amazing
Crumpy at his best!
Caleb
Aug 24, 2010 Caleb rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable piece of kiwi culture. Makes you want to get a dog and wander into the bush.
Nicola
Dec 31, 2014 Nicola rated it liked it
An easy read of some tall tales set in the NZ bush.
Donna R
Apr 29, 2013 Donna R rated it liked it
Just what I needed :)
Benn Jamieson
Dec 21, 2013 Benn Jamieson rated it really liked it
Interesting take on old 1950's NZ.
Jane Bartlett
Apr 13, 2016 Jane Bartlett rated it really liked it
Excellent classic NZ romp of a Kiwi bushman... Laughed out loud!
McNatty
Jan 15, 2012 McNatty rated it liked it
Got the feeling he merely rewrote his diary while in the bush
Robert Newell
Jan 06, 2014 Robert Newell rated it it was amazing
My favourite book of all time. Full of superb stories about life as a hunter in the wild NZ bush back in the 60's. Really well written and funny, Crump at his best
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Wanda Gonzalez
Wanda Gonzalez rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Fox Swindells
Fox Swindells rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Leonard Read
Leonard Read rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Vera
Vera rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Aquifer
Aquifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Elliot
Elliot rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2010
Paula TikiTour
Paula TikiTour rated it it was ok
May 04, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Tu
  • The God Boy
  • The Open Side
  • The Penguin History of New Zealand
  • In My Father's Den
  • To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)
  • Badjelly The Witch: A Fairy Story
  • Hairy Maclary Sit
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • Moron to Moron: Two Men, Two Bikes, One Mongolian Misadventure
  • Once Were Warriors
  • Pennington's Last Term
  • Bridle the Wind (Felix Brooke, #2)
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Dirty Politics: How Attack Politics is Poisoning New Zealand's Political Environment
  • Academic Pursuits
  • The Major Works
  • The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
New Zealand author of semi-autobiographical comic novels based on his image as a rugged outdoors man.
More about Barry Crump...