Start by marking “A Redbird Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  11,587 Ratings  ·  1,401 Reviews
From the beloved author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe comes her latest New York Times bestseller--a new Yuletide classic about small-town America and larger-than-life wonders.
Published October 25th 2005 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Redbird Christmas, please sign up.

Lori I absolutely loved her book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Worth the read even if you've seen the movie.
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
28th out of 823 books — 1,145 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Best Christmas Holiday Books
15th out of 382 books — 493 voters

More lists with this book...

Taryn Rydell
Dec 17, 2014 Taryn Rydell rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a lonely man that moves to a very small town for what he believes will be his last Christmas. I enjoyed the humor with which the author weaves this tale, the characters are rich and believable, and the relationship between the man and the Redbird (Jack) is touching and sweet. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fannie Flagg that I knew as a comedian was also an accomplished author. This is an easy Christmas tale that I would recommend to readers ...more
Bettie☯

Description: Oswald T. Campbell, aged fifty-two, down-and-out in a Chicago winter, is given only months to live unless he moves South... He finds himself in the small town of Lost River, Alabama, where the residents are friendly if feud-prone and eccentric to a fault. One of them, Roy, keeps a red cardinal, a once wounded bird called Jack. Patsy, a sad, sweet little kid with a crippled leg, from the trailer park up in the woods, takes to dropping by the store - and falls in love with Jack.

Flagg
Phrynne
Feb 11, 2014 Phrynne rated it liked it
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Ann
Aug 30, 2016 Ann rated it did not like it
***SPOILER ALERT***
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Jenny
Apr 18, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Kandice
Aug 13, 2014 Kandice rated it it was amazing
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her won books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the ...more
Ashley
Dec 31, 2007 Ashley rated it really liked it
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
Serendipity Reviews
Feb 09, 2011 Serendipity Reviews rated it really liked it
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Tricia
Dec 01, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Kiwi
Dec 01, 2015 Kiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, seasonal
This novel is not going to win any literary awards and yes it is overly sweet but it was perfect for getting me into the right mood for Christmas season. I feel like I visited the little community of Lost River, each character is perfectly drawn, with its own personal story. It also very funny, a chuckled a few times and laughed out loud a couple of times. The audiobook read by the author was great too. 3 stars

My favourite quotes:

“Mother used to be a baker in Milwaukee, specialized in petits fo
Suzy
I love Fannie Flagg's storytelling. She portrays small southern (U.S.) towns in a heartwarming yet truthful way. This is a sweet, not saccharine, story set in Lost River, Alabama with Christmastime as a thread throughout. It's full of characters, some broken, some not who come together to create an "accidental" family with magic happening along the way.

I always enjoy listening to Flagg tell her own story. It struck me this time that she does not voice the characters as professional narrators wou
Elizabeth
Jan 29, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pop-fiction
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Lisa
Dec 27, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg

Synopsis: Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who delivers
Elena T.
Lo spirito frizzante di Fannie Flagg allieta dolcemente la grigia quotidianità di chi è alle prese con il lavoro, gli impegni, lo studio - con l'esito confortante che sovente ricerchiamo quando abbiamo bisogno di una calda coperta di plaid che ci avvolga.

"Mr. Zuppa Campbell, il pettirosso e la bambina" ("A Redbird Christmas" in originale, al solito ci piace stravolgere il titolo) è proprio come il suo più celebre "Pomodori verdi fritti al Caffè di Whistle Stop": un toccasana per l'anima intorpid
Ginger *Protégée extraordinaire and Kool-Aid mixer*
It was cute

so much cute...

Not my normal choice of reading but my book club picked it. It was a quick read. And yes I cried when (view spoiler). So I am not completely heartless.
Glad we figured that out.

I also made the 'Kentucky Bourbon Pie' using the recipe in the back of the book.
I would probably use one of my usual Pecan Pie recipes in the future and add a splash of Bourbon if I wanted to try it again. The addition of Chocolate Chips did nothing for me.

Not a bad re
Christopher Hicks
This was a Fantastic book. I loved the storyline and the characters. It has that same quaint southern charm as Fried Green Tomatoes, another book by the same author. It shows how one incident in life can change the lives and futures of so many.
Steven Howes
Nov 05, 2013 Steven Howes rated it it was ok
I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fannie Flagg as I have read several of her other books and enjoyed them a great deal. While this is one of those feel good kind of stories that would make a good made-for-tv "Christmas special", it is just a little too sappy for my liking. Everything just comes together all too predictably and too wonderfully in the end. Perhaps I missed something and this book was written for kids.

The characters are interesting and likeable and the book touches on
Alexandra
Dec 10, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was ok
I'm struggling between 2 and 3 stars. I didn't dislike the book, but I didn't really like it either. The town of Lost River sounds like a nice, small town to live in. I wouldn't mind moving there, it sounds beautiful and everyone who lives there is SO nice. But that was my problem with this book. Everything was too nice and perfect. Yes, everyone had their problem of some sort. But the ending was too predictable and sweet. The whole book was, now that I think about it. I don't want something ...more
Rusty Henrichsen
Oct 18, 2009 Rusty Henrichsen rated it it was amazing
This is just a delightful book. I first read a condensed version about three years ago and then got the book on Amazon. It's about a man who is given a death sentence by his doctor. He changes locations, lifestyles and interests and along the way runs into a delightful little girl.

Two quotes: "On the way back home, Oswald thought about it and wondered which was worse, being an accordion player or being an alcoholic. He figured it was a toss-up." (page 95)
"The only time he did not fish was on Sat
Angie
May 24, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...rounded up to 5 for the warm fuzzies it provided

Maybe it's because it was loaned to me by a friend who labeled it as "one of my favorite books of all time" or maybe it's because I live in Alabama myself or maybe it's because it really is so good...but I loved this book! Heartwarming is the perfect word to describe it. A great Holiday season read for sure, but I still loved it in the month of May. Quirky, sweet characters and yes, a little bit of cliche but it just made me smile (and
Wendy
Dec 19, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing
At first I thought this book was going to be sad but... I won't spoil it. All I know is I really loved this book and will definately read it again. And again. And again. :) Read this for the second time this Christmas. Still love it!!! And I think it will be an every year read... at Christmas.
2012 Read again for Christmas.
Still love this book, Still makes me cry.
2013 Yep...cried again. Gotta love a good cry at Christmas :D
2014 Gotta have my annual Christmas Cry :D
2015 Not as much crying as I was
Vickie
A Redbird Christmas is a cute little novel. I have never read Fannie Flagg before but I look forward to reading another one of her novels.

This is a sweet read about a very small Southern town. The people really care for each other and rally around each in times of need. Not quite a Hallmark or Lifetime style read, but a sit back and relax while you enjoy the read!
Kandice
Jan 17, 2015 Kandice rated it it was ok
Shelves: holidays, overdrive
Poiema
Sep 02, 2015 Poiema rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I had never heard of this book, but it had an attractive cover and title, so I picked it up at a used book sale. I saved it for a time when I needed an easy, relaxing read and it fit the bill perfectly! Charming characters, a plot with a happy ending, and a good mission fulfilled---- all the necessary ingredients for a homey, uncomplicated Christmas tale.
Nidhi Singh
Sweet, heart-warming Christmas story of people of Lost River, Alabama. I loved how Patsy and Jack were on their birthdays. It got me misty-eyed.
Susanchitter
Mar 11, 2016 Susanchitter rated it liked it
This is a sweet quick read that has a feel good ending. Enjoyed it.
Amiad
May 26, 2016 Amiad rated it liked it
ספר נחמד וקצת קיטשי
Lori
Jan 08, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
a wonderful, feel good story! loved it!
Linda
Oct 18, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Sweet Christmas story, southern fiction. Growing up in a very small southern town in Alabama I could easily relate to this book.
Sidna
Dec 21, 2013 Sidna rated it really liked it
What a perfect little Christmas book! A friend who enjoys Fannie Flagg's writing as much as I do lent me her copy of this book. At 207 pages, I could have read this small square book in one sitting, but I started it too late at night so I had finish it the next day.

The book begins in Chicago in November with Oswald T. Campbell going through the cold and snow for his annual medical check-up. Oswald is 52 years old and has been a heavy smoker and an alcoholic. His life has not been a happy one, st
Holidaze Book Clu...: Holiday feel-good stories 1 5 Nov 26, 2016 03:20PM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2013: A Redbird Christmas 33 131 Mar 14, 2016 01:56AM
Nothing But Readi...: Flagg, Fannie - A Redbird Christmas - Informal Buddy Read; Starts December 12, 2014 15 167 Jan 29, 2015 11:10AM
Duluth Divas: A Red Bird Christmas 2 1 Aug 29, 2014 06:12AM
College English 6 52 Oct 04, 2013 08:14PM
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Letters
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • Christmas with Tucker
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • 'Tis The Season
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle (Angelic Intervention #8)
  • The Angel Doll: A Christmas Story
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G
More about Fannie Flagg...

“Mildred had had a few men friends after that, but she never really loved any of them. None could ever compete with the one that got away.” 0 likes
“To Toot One’s Own Horn Is Unattractive.” 0 likes