Start by marking “100 Characters from Classical Mythology: Discover the Fascinating Stories of the Greek and Roman Deities” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Dating back roughly 3,000 years, the gods of the ancient Greeks--and later, of the Romans--have figured prominently in legendry, poetry, drama, and the visual arts. But today's readers are often confused when they encounter the myriad names of those deities and try to understand their roles in mythology. This entertaining and mind-expanding book charts 100 of the most prom ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Barron's Educational Series (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Characters from Classical Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Characters from Classical Mythology

Heather
Mar 06, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love Greek mythology more and more every day, this is a great resource, informative, easy to read, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 10, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: ancient-history
Crazy Ladies Book Bingo)

So far so bad......I'm dying here....and so utterly confused, As if I'm gonna remember any of this, and then it's like all these people are related so it's all very incestuous, redundant, and violent (all these Gods & Goddesses killing everyone out of Jealousy,. It is amazing that any of them lived at all)
. I'm so very glad there is no test on this, because you know, I'm not going to remember too much of this information.

Actually,this book got better mid way through.
Mayday (m.i.d.e)
Oct 06, 2014 Mayday (m.i.d.e) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who love mythology
Shelves: not-mine
Educating.

I have been obsessed with Alexander the Great after watching Fate/Zero and the story about him involved many Greek mythology so I want to know more about that.

Very hard at first because I find the names are hard to pronounce, in the end I choose to remember what the guys did in the myth than their names. I didn't study this at school and took no interest anyway, my old high school even had books about Greek myth but I was like "nah", knowing who are Zeus and Hades is enough for me. I
Tantri Setyorini
A little lack of detail. But the illustrations are so beautiful.
One thing about the illustrations:
beauty standard of that time is plumpy woman wiht motherlike figure.
David Gwartney
Feb 17, 2013 David Gwartney rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I had read a couple other books recounting many of the Greek myths and even listened to an iTunes U class on the subject. This book was a perfect way to tie all those other resources together in a way that gave an overview to each story, the characters involved, and the relation of those principle characters to other stories and the Greek gods. Before reading this book, it was difficult to remember different personalities and why their involvement was important in a given myth, but this book rea ...more
Robert
Aug 13, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was disappointed in a variety of aspect. THe orientation by characters did not always work, and towards the end: where he did the Trojan war felt the characters were not the major ones I would want to hear more about in this type of summary.
And sometimes I did not need the conflicting myths - when important to the myth I wanted to hear it - but not when a detail of siring and claim.

BUt still worked as a readable summary.
Jamie
Oct 25, 2015 Jamie rated it did not like it
Not what I was expecting. I wanted more about the characters and the myths themselves. This was really just a very short overview of some characters. Nothing about the myths, and a lot of the summaries just repeated themselves. Like this character killed his father, now let's read about the father who was killed by his son, now let's read about the mother who watched her son kill his father.
M
Nov 18, 2009 M rated it it was ok
I was super super bored attempting to read from cover to cover. This book would probably be okay for referencing. I think it was a difficult way to leart about deities, I read it to learn, as I never took a mythology class. I think maybe I will try reading the mythological stories instead now, it's GOT to be more interesting than this book.
Kristi
Oct 29, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved the set up this of the novel and how all the information is presented. The family tree aspect with the Ancestry. The images were beautiful. The information was presented in more of a reference style but I still really liked it!

This is definitely a great addition to mythology collection!
Gabby
Nov 11, 2015 Gabby rated it it was ok
Although the stories are great, my problem is the minor grammar difficulties. Even more of a concern, though, was the family tree. It was mostly correct, but the author kept switching genders of the patron's. Despite this, I enjoyed the book. Great for references.
nicki
Aug 14, 2013 nicki rated it really liked it
I really liked this and thought the myths were very intriguing, especially regarding the hero's. I wish it went more in depth at some parts but I suppose that's why you read the Iliad or the Odyssey. Well I think I am going to go watch Troy now and understand the references a whole lot more.
Edith
Mar 12, 2009 Edith rated it really liked it
Le livre le plus clair que j'ai lu sur le sujet. En plus que c'est vraiment facile de se mélanger dans la mythologie. Des arbres généalogiques à chaque page alors on sait toujours qui est l'enfant de qui et d'où il/elle vient. Très bien fait. Seul défaut, ils se sont limités à 100 personnages...
Vanessa
Mar 15, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
Fantastic book on greek/roman mythology :D
Jun 27, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
This isn't a book you want to read cover to cover, but it is a fun, concise guide for refreshing your memory on the many characters in Greek mythology. I've found it to be a great companion while reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
Bumblebeebookworm
Oct 24, 2011 Bumblebeebookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek-mythology
Fantastic book when you need to look up something regarding Greek Mythology among other things. I do this every so often when I write stories about it. It's brilliant when it comes to facts, pictures and whom was related to whom.
Marialacey4
Jan 19, 2013 Marialacey4 rated it it was amazing
I continue to use this as a reference when reading the Rick Riordan; Percy Jackson series and the latest Heros of Olympus series. I love Greek and roman mythology! This book is easy to look up the gods and has great ancestry diagrams.
Kim Graff
Jul 16, 2012 Kim Graff rated it really liked it
This is a good book for those with little knowledge of Greek and Roman mythology. In other words, it's a good start. The sections are small and informative, but the book is a bit repetitive.
Emelie Johansson
It was really good and interesting, it contains a lot of stories and myths. If you are interested in mythology its definitely worth to read. ...more
Alyssa
Sep 28, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Really interesting. I loved the way it overlapped stories instead of assuming you remembered everything about everyone in the book.
Clara
Jul 14, 2015 Clara rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, nonfiction
2.5 stars. Detailed, but better used as a reference for someone who's read the myths than as an introduction to the myths.
Mayuko
Nov 15, 2010 Mayuko rated it really liked it
I don't think I'll be reading any more Greek mythology books after this... Greek gods are not fun...
Sara
Mar 09, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
Has a family tree spanning the whole book. Really a great read. Thanks aunt sheila!
Mary Rich
Aug 09, 2011 Mary Rich rated it liked it
Es ameno pero bastante lacónico y en su edición en castellano no muy bien traducido.
Kourtney
Although I really liked the book, the author contradicted himself in several places.
Brianna
Jul 14, 2010 Brianna rated it really liked it
It was a fascinating book about mythology but I did not read it all, just parts.
Jessica Lowery
Jun 29, 2013 Jessica Lowery rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
100 Characters from Classical Mythology and a short synopsis about their stories.
Ariel Murray
Birdy
Birdy rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Treasury of Greek Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Heroes & Monsters
  • The Encyclopedia of Mythology: Classical, Celtic, Norse
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Mythology
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology