Start by marking “Danny Dunn Invisible Boy #2” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Danny Dunn Invisible B...

Jay Williams

Danny Dunn Invisible Boy #2 (Danny Dunn #13)

By accidentally short-circuiting Professor Bullfinch's new crystalline material, Danny Dunn enables the professor to create a new machine that makes Danny invisible.
Published February 1st 1982 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Danny Dunn Invisible Boy #2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danny Dunn Invisible Boy #2

Shawn
With only two more installments in the series to go (as I said, I'm reading final copies for their e-book release and reviewing them, as I enjoyed this series as a kid) - this may be the BEST Danny Dunn book yet!

Despite the title, the book does not involve *actual* invisibility (in the "bending of light" sense - and Prof. Bullfinch even explains why that's highly unlikely to work), but what's surprising is that the book actually deals with virtual reality/videogame technology, military drones, s
Mike
Jan 29, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
A nice revisit to one of the Danny Dunn series that I had read in my youth. It's 3.5 stars for me, because I have fond memories of this from my youth. As an adult, the situations lack a modern maturity, and the technology is _way_ out-of-date

An interesting occurrence in the Danny Dunn series is that Danny, Joe and Irene do seem to age as the series progresses (based on changing seasons within books, and the fact they seem to have spent several books with a single teacher, as in elementary school
Rindis
Oct 04, 2007 Rindis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
Good lord, I'd forgotten all about this series.

This particular one is the first one I came across, and probably the best one of the series (not that I ever read them all).

The general idea is that Danny is a boy very much interested in science who lives with his widowed mother and Professor Bulfinch, who employs Danny's mother as housekeeper. The Professor, of course, serves as a mentor/father-figure as well as the source of all the super-tech devices the books are built around.

It is a credit to
Seth
Jan 01, 2010 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book from a set I read in my childhood. The writing may not be brilliant, but the story still gives the reader a chance to set their imagination free. What if technology allowed us to do the impossible? To defy gravity, hear aliens on other planets, or spy on others and speak to them without being seen? I suggest this as a good book for children still in grade school.
Bill Meeks
Apr 03, 2014 Bill Meeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of shocked with how well this book holds up. It's not just a fun "boy's adventure" either. It could have been written today in fact. The basic story involves Danny's professor friend building a tiny drone that's controlled by the equivalent of an Oculus Rift. When the government finds out about the "Isit" they take Danny and the Professor prisoner in their own home.

The book is clever, fun, quick, and technically spot-on. The world of Danny Dunn looks familiar 50 years on due to the au
Kevin
Jul 27, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book found at a thrift store. The story of a young boy named Danny Dunn and the eccentric professor who lives with his family, as well as his two friends Irene and Joe. This is one of a series of Danny Dunn books from the 70s. I have only read this one. It's reminiscent of Tom Swift stories.

In this novel, the professor creates a machine controlling an electronic dragonfly. This gives its user a type of invisibility.
Ed
Apr 01, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a kid and vividly remember marveling at the concept of telepresence, though it's not to referred to as such, depicted with the helmet-gauntlet-controlled remote-sensing robot dragonfly.

Recently re-read this with my own child, age five, and we both loved it.

This was written in the early 1970s as sci-fi, but has some striking relevance to modern-day issues -- namely drones, privacy, and government surveillance.
Roger Thomas
Roger Thomas rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Bernabe Cienfuegos
Bernabe Cienfuegos rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Alika Kay
Alika Kay rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Kim Holtz
Kim Holtz rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Roger Thomas
Roger Thomas rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Dawn Burbach
Dawn Burbach rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Will Butts
Will Butts rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Shawn Liner
Shawn Liner rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Travis Greer
Travis Greer rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it did not like it
Dec 01, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2011
David Peters
David Peters rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2009
Carol Suelzle
Carol Suelzle rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2009
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Ian Williams
Ian Williams rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Minami
Minami rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • The Empire of Isher: The Weapon Makers/The Weapon Shops of Isher
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • Paradise
  • Lord Conrad's Crusade (Conrad Stargard, #7)
  • The Pink Motel
  • Out on Blue Six
  • The Wanderer
  • Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators Series
  • The Quantum Connection (Warp Speed, #2)
  • Threshold (Boundary, #2)
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
Jay Williams (May 31, 1914–July 12, 1978) was an American author born in Buffalo, New York, the son of Max and Lillian Jacobson. He cited the experience of growing up as the son of a vaudeville show producer as leading him to pursue his acting career as early as college. Between 1931 and 1934 he attended the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University where he took part in amateur theatrica ...more
More about Jay Williams...

Danny Dunn (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (Danny Dunn, # 1)
  • Danny Dunn on a Desert Island (Danny Dunn, #2)
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Danny Dunn and the Weather Machine (Danny Dunn, #4)
  • Danny Dunn on the Ocean Floor (Danny Dunn #5)
  • Danny Dunn and the Fossil Cave (Danny Dunn, #6)
  • Danny Dunn and the Heat Ray  (Danny Dunn #7)
  • Danny Dunn, Time Traveler (Danny Dunn, #8)
  • Danny Dunn and the Automatic House (Danny Dunn, #9)
  • Danny Dunn And The Voice From Space (Danny Dunn, #10)