Start by marking “Art History: A Critical Introduction to Its Methods” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This book provides a lively and stimulating introduction to methodological debates within art history. Offering a lucid account of approaches from Hegel to post-colonialism, the book provides a sense of art history's own history as a discipline from its emergence in the late-eighteenth century to contemporary debates.
Published April 30th 2006 by Manchester University Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Art History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art History

Rebecca
This book is getting a 5 star rating not for critical theory itself (which I pretty much loathe in the the abstract!), but because it is a really clear introduction to a lot of different theory. I've just done a (compulsory) course in art theory as part of my degree, and honestly I feel like this book is more useful than the lecture series was! It really helps explain how theories which weren't originally related to art, e.g. Marxism or psychotherapy, can be related to art, as well as outlining ...more
Wendy Crittenden
i think that hatt and klonk are good and laying out the methods of looking at art very well. helping me, and co-learners, understand the articles we read in class by the actual art historians who use the methods. thanks h&k!
Leah
Oh, I crammed for an exam with this little gem. Covers the major occurances in the development of Art History as a discipline, and its surprisingly an easy read. Well, I think so anyway.
Allyson
I'll say I'm finished with this, since it's really a reference book for school, anyway. Very useful and succinct, which is a rare quality in art historical theory.
Michelle Demeter
A great introduction to various methods used in art history. Very concise and easy to follow.
Kathryn
Oct 16, 2014 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in art criticism
Shelves: history
A very easy read considering the amount of relatively difficult concepts!
Balxas
May 29, 2010 Balxas added it
Jodbe
Nice introduction to different art theories and methods.
Mark Ellis
This book is truly brilliant
Marco Polo
Marco Polo marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Hannah Woods
Hannah Woods marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ajit
Ajit marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Lara Marteel
Lara Marteel is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Nov 25, 2014
Nadette Xuereb
Nadette Xuereb is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
An-sofie Van loocke
An-sofie Van loocke is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Yanlong
Yanlong marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Edwardian Sense: Art, Design, and Performance in Britain, 1901-1910 Fictions of Art History Prüderie und Leidenschaft. Der Akt in viktorianischer Zeit. Sculpture Victorious: Art in an Age of Invention, 1837�1901