Start by marking “Washington, D.C. (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)” as Want to Read:
Washington, D.C. (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

Washington, D.C. (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Recognized the world over by frequent flyers and armchair travelers alike, Eyewitness Travel Guides are the most colorful and comprehensive guides on the market. With beautiful commissioned photographs and spectacular 3-D aerial views revealing the charm of each destination, these amazing travel guides show what others only tell.
Published August 23rd 2000 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Washington, D.C., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Washington, D.C.

Pete daPixie
Feb 21, 2013 Pete daPixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
I'm already a fan of Dorling Kindersley books. The 'Washington D.C.' guide was first published in G.B. in 2000 and has had revisions almost every year since. For the prospective tourist, this has everything that is required. Focus is on downtown, set out in five sections, The Mall, Capitol Hill, Penn Quarter, The White House and Foggy Bottom and Georgetown. All the main tourist sites are covered, many with the typical D.K. exploded diagrams.
If you need greater detail and information for the surr
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
From the Metro map on the back inside cover to all the great pictures this guide is a winner! It's small enough to go in a purse and it has quite enough information in it. I loved that it told you which Metro exit to get off on for each attraction. The organization was good and I had no problem finding places at all.

This little gem covers the main points of each attraction, has a plethora of maps that are easy to follow, and is quite simple to just pull out and use. Of course one must mention t
Kay
I live in the Washington suburbs, go into D.C. several times a month, and still, at times, feel I need guidance. This Eyewitness Guide offers a good overview in photos and brief text entries of the city. Particular attention is lavished on the Smithsonian museums and national Mall, which, of course, is number one on most tourist itineraries. There's a section of three guided walks as well as a section devoted to sights outside the city proper. Unlike some Eyewitness Guides, this one is pocket- o ...more
Andrea Mudd
We really enjoyed reading the history of D.C. To prepare us for our visit. The maps were just Okay. Other reviewers had raved about them but we found the free map that we got from our hotel to be more helpful.
Jenni
May 10, 2012 Jenni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
At first, I was really gung-ho about the 'top 10' model. It allowed for easy browsing and I saw and learned things that I probably wouldn't have in a normal travel book. However, the top 10 model got a little stale when they included the top 10 presidents, historical moments, and other items that aren't really "things to see or do" in DC.
Lisa
Jun 27, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books
Another great travel book by DK. I love the pictures, they are vivid and clear. The artist renderings of the buildings by street are also a great way to see where you are and where you are going. The restaurant choices are excellent, never had a bad meal when choosing out of the book. I will definitely look for the books for future travels.
Amy
Oct 29, 2007 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domestic-travel
Very nice color photographs that made us familiar with places before we arrived. Not my favorite for planning, but nice for layouts and pictures of attractions. This is another one I like better after the trip.
João Costa
Jul 11, 2012 João Costa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was fortunate enough to have locals in Washington and unfortunate to be there for so little days, but this guide, as all DK - American Express Guides, are great companions for the trip and previous preparation
Cloay
Available in SG NLB 917.5304 (SK
- 2009 edition (ISBN 978-1-40533-379-5)
Sugy
Aug 06, 2012 Sugy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good beginning guide for catching popular things to see in DC.
Cloay
Available in SG NLB 916.5304 (SK
Kathy
Oct 20, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Very useful guide
Andre
Andre rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
SG
SG rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Allison Evans
Allison Evans rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Kim Carlson
Kim Carlson rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Mr M H Clark
Mr M H Clark marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Cathleen Bonville
Cathleen Bonville marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Anton
Anton marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
James L
James L rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Suzanne Brown
Suzanne Brown rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Nancy Mooslin
Nancy Mooslin rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Liam
Liam added it
Jun 14, 2016
elpack
elpack rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Selena
Selena added it
Mar 05, 2016
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Great Britain
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Barcelona & Catalonia
  • France
  • Eyewitness Travel Guides - Ireland
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Paris
  • New York
  • Australia
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • Vienna
  • If You Were At The First Thanksgiving
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Pirate's Prisoner!
  • Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei