Start by marking “City: Urbanism and Its End” as Want to Read:
City: Urbanism and Its End

City: Urbanism and Its End

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This extraordinary book is both a richly textured portrait of New Haven, Connecticut, and the story of the rise and fall of American cities. Douglas Rae depicts the reasons for urban decline, explains why government spending has failed to restore urban vitality, and offers suggestions to enhance city life in the future.
“A terrific read, moving seductively from the minutiae
Published March 11th 2005 by Yale University Press (first published September 10th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City

The Teacher Wars by Dana GoldsteinGetting Better by Charles KennyAnd the Band Played On by Randy ShiltsA Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony MarraBad Pharma by Ben Goldacre
Vox's Books to Read to Understand the World
21st out of 30 books — 6 voters
Nightfall by Jake HalpernDormia by Jake HalpernBad Paper by Jake HalpernWorld's End by Jake HalpernIrrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller
East Rock Lit
11th out of 15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Geoffrey
Jul 20, 2010 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who has lived in New Haven or wishes to understand the effects of urban renewal in American cities. Due to its small size and the huge sums of federal money spent on renewal, New Haven, as a discrete and easily discernible entity, is the perfect case study.
Stephen
Mar 24, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
With a Master's degree in City Planning you would think that I would not want to read a book of this title. Not true. This is a well researched and written bock, eminently readable and understandable. No city planning jargon here. It does both: extolling the virtues of urban life while lamenting its demise. If it were not for Mother Yale, New Haven would be another Bridgeport, or Camden, or Detroit. And you can be mad at Yale, although you cannot fault them for trying. Who would want to pay 60,0 ...more
Mark
Aug 19, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
This is a really big book that has a lot of information - it required a lot of time, but it gave me a lot more than I expected - I got a new understanding of America and how political/economic forces are quite different to my home in Australia.

The hard cover version is massive - best read in many short sessions before you go to sleep each night, and you can use it as a weapon if you catch the bus or train to work each day. The author took me on a journey through the life of New Haven - through
Thomas
I bought this on impulse during a weekday jaunt through downtown Minneapolis in February 2007. Unlike other books published by the Yale University Press, this one is eminently readable and presents data clearly in the form of maps, charts, and photographs.

Rae, New Haven's former City Manager from the early 1990s, tells a compelling story of how New Haven, Connecticut underwent its transformation from a city of closely-knit neighborhoods filled with dynamic social institutions to a community defi
Michael
Dec 24, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it
If you happen to be an enthusiast of urban development history...and a resident of New Haven...and a student at Yale...and are enrolled in one of Rae's courses...then do I have a book for you! Rae's book is most comprehensive in a very limited way - covering specific aspects and examples of a specific period pre-urban renewal and a specific period during New Haven's bold urban renewal. In that regards, this is a great book that deals with the political, cultural, economic, and social climate tha ...more
Gary Geiger
Mar 23, 2014 Gary Geiger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociial-science
Really, I give this 4.5 stars. But I rounded up. Very good look at New Haven over the years and its rise and fall. I learned a lot from this book and it is inspiring me to read more on the economic history of different cities.
Kate
Oct 12, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Another good name for this book might be: How Capitalism built and then destroyed cities. Focuses on New Haven, Conn. Prior to reading this I didn't know anything about New Haven, other than that it is the home of Yale. But the city actually has a blue-collar, manufacturing heritage, which the author details.
I borrowed this from the library because a copy of it had been in our store at work and I was curious. I have a passing interest in the subject, but not really enough to finish the book. It's well written, and informative, but requires a bit more concentration than I'm willing to give it right now.
Lucas
Apr 24, 2010 Lucas rated it it was amazing
Very specific in its study of the history of New Haven, although New Haven could be almost American city. Excellent account of the driving forces behind the decline of American cities.
Ilya Gerner
Nov 19, 2010 Ilya Gerner rated it it was amazing
Best study of urbanism I've ever read. Has a narrow focus on development of New Haven, CT but the lessons are applicable to every city.
Vanilla Chai
Vanilla Chai marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jonathan Cabral
Jonathan Cabral rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Derek Lee
Derek Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Ananya Malhotra
Ananya Malhotra marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Ben
Ben added it
Feb 27, 2016
Tara C.
Tara C. rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Pamela Ellingsen-Eldridge
Pamela Ellingsen-Eldridge rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Brian
Brian added it
Feb 07, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Ryan Kleeberger
Ryan Kleeberger marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Corey
Corey added it
Jan 16, 2016
Nick Anderson
Nick Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Dave Courtney
Dave Courtney marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Celine Geiger
Celine Geiger marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Max Robb
Max Robb marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality
  • Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect
  • When Work Disappears: The World of the New Urban Poor
  • Next Generation Democracy: What the Open-Source Revolution Means for Power, Politics, and Change
  • Jesus in Beijing: How Christianity Is Transforming China And Changing the Global Balance of Power
  • Bread and Roses: Mills, Migrants, and the Struggle for the American Dream
  • Black on the Block: The Politics of Race and Class in the City
  • City: Rediscovering the Center
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit
  • Never a City So Real: A Walk in Chicago
  • Family Properties: Race, Real Estate, and the Exploitation of Black Urban America
  • Steel: From Mine to Mill, the Metal that Made America
  • Urban Fortunes: The Political Economy of Place
  • More Powerful Than Dynamite: Radicals, Plutocrats, Progressives, and New York's Year of Anarchy
  • American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto