Start by marking “Creature” as Want to Read:
Creature

Creature

Photographer Andrew Zuckerman's strikingly detailed images of animals from around the world are as delightful as they are inspiring. This collection of astonishing studio portraits of 175 wild creaturesfrom baby leopards to parrots, bears, mandrills, and many moreare stunningly foregrounded against white backgrounds, depicting their subjects with rare sensitivity,insight, ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Chronicle Books (first published October 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Creature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Stunning animal photography book - great for any age.
It's a fun book to pick up at the library and peruse by yourself or with your kiddos.
giraffe 2 pages

This book is huge! It is large in dimensions as well as being 300 pages! My photos can't capture the detail on each page (crappy cell phone).

Every page has a blank white background so that the photo pops off the page. Sometimes there's only one picture on the spread, and other times there is a couple.
squirrel
chicken
owl

Each creature gets 1-3 pages dedicated to it. Each pictur
Mary Crabtree
Jan 29, 2009 Mary Crabtree rated it it was amazing
"Creature" is a fresh and starkly modern example of animal photography. Each animal is displayed on a bright white background so that nothing detracts from that moment in time frozen by the camera. You see an Owl in flight but so close you feel you could touch it. The Lion in a full toothed roar. There is no text, no explanation. The picture, or should I say the animal, speaks for itself.

I love this book because even though there are goats and wolves...among the more exotic and unusual, they are
LINDA
Jun 11, 2008 LINDA rated it it was amazing
I read about this book in a magazine and was estatic when it finally arrived for me at the Library!

Amazing, the photographs against the stark white background really pop off the page. I found myself petting the pages thinking that I would be able to feel the textures becaus it looks so real. (silly me!) There was so much detail. The patterns that nature has created are exhibited perfectly here!

Shonna Froebel
Nov 19, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
This large-format photography book has wonderful images of many animals, from insects to grizzly bears.
The photographs include some close-ups and all open your eyes to the variety of textures and the detail of each animal. You can stare at some photographs for a long time, just taking in the detail.
From the quills of a porcupine to the toes of an elephant, this will have you taking a new look at each animal included.
Book Concierge
Mar 13, 2014 Book Concierge rated it really liked it
This is a book of stunning photography of various animals ... from millipedes to chimpanzees. The photography is beautiful and evocative. Sometimes an extreme close-up (a cockatoo's feathers), other times a full-length portrait (a magnificent cougar). All the animals are photographed against a stark white background, really making the creature itself the focus of the art.
e
Aug 10, 2014 e rated it really liked it
- captured the personalities of these creatures .
grimacing toads,
balled up armadillos,
'no pictures' squirell.
puffed porqupine,
and a centipede montage!
all beautifully executed on stark whit backgrounds.
this would be neat as a flipbook...
one question:
how do you fit a giraffe in a photography studio???
Kelly
Jul 20, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Zuckerman's photography is a WONDERFUL addition to my classroom library. My preschoolers pour over the photos and the immense detail gives them plenty to pour over. The photos are accessible and compelling. I love Zuckerman's work.
Heather
Jul 23, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
The photography in this book is exquisite. I love how Zuckerman captures the animals' characters in such a striking way that you feel almost as if you can peer into their souls. Perfect for animal lovers of any age.
John Beeler
Nov 17, 2007 John Beeler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sharedwithcosi
Beautiful and piercing. Will become a case study for designers, photographers, and artists on how to employ whitespace as a narrative, visual tool.

Bought it for Cosi for Christmas and I am sure the pages will get torn from wear. I'm ok with that. This book deserves to be explored.
Heidi
Apr 03, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, make-art
fantastic! love the photography - ruby loves it too there were a few ohhhs and aws throughout the book from her and she hugged at least 10 of the animals. Got it from the library but I NEED TO OWN THIS BOOK!
Chrissy
Aug 11, 2011 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
The pictures in this book are amazing. All animals are on a white background so you can really see the detail of each species.
Heather
Jun 27, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Zuckerman portrayed each animal as an individual being, and beautifully captured the essence of animal emotions.
Jessica
Dec 30, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book, and its sister "Bird" are AMAZING! Everything is shot on a white background and there are no words or charts to clutter up the beautiful pictures.
P.
Jan 12, 2010 P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Baboons are crazy looking! They are more like werewolves than wolves.

These photographs are great.
Brenda
Oct 09, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
First learned of this book when the author was interviewed on 'Ellen'. Right then I knew I had to have it. The pictures are unbelievable. I would love to see more.
Debrarian
Aug 19, 2008 Debrarian rated it it was amazing
Amazing, candid portrait-style photographs of all sorts of animals. Large coffee-table sized gorgeous book.
Christiane
Oct 13, 2009 Christiane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
I took this to my school visits this year...even though it is huge and I walk to my schools....it was that good. All ages can enjoy these remarkable photographs.
Frank
Feb 29, 2012 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography, nature
Beatutiful and revealing close-up photographs of a wide range of animals. I found myself staring for a while at some of the models.
Oct 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is one of my favorite 'coffee table' books EVER. The pictures in this are amazing. Love love it.
Amber Molholm
Amber Molholm rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
David Robinson
David Robinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Paige tuhey
Gorgeous.
Apoorva Tewari
Apoorva Tewari rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2009
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Miriam Tuohy
Miriam Tuohy rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Shea Proulx
Shea Proulx rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
  • Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife
  • Suryia and Roscoe: The True Story of an Unlikely Friendship
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Pavement Chalk Artist: The Three-Dimensional Drawings of Julian Beever
  • The Phone Book: The Curious History of the Book That Everyone Uses But No One Reads
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Never Smile at a Monkey: And 17 Other Important Things to Remember