Start by marking “Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners” as Want to Read:
Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners

Kept: A Comedy of Sex and Manners

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  17 reviews

Judith Lee, an entitled descendant of the Korean royal family, has grown quite accustomed to the privileges of the aristocracy. When her parents cut off her finances upon graduation from Yale, Jude learns that her fancy upbringing has left her unprepared to deal with her monstrous debts. That is, until she is introduced to Madame Tartakov, a charismatic Russian émigré who
Published August 21st 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kept

Katigie
Characters with personality

Not a chick-lit book, but a novel with complex, interesting characters. A modern Moll Flanders whose attitudes about family, friends, class, race and love melt as she grows. Witty and erudite language--a treat.
Shira
Nov 21, 2007 Shira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Becka, Diana
Shelves: chocolate
I really enjoy books about people who feel displaced or at loose ends. At the same time, I don't have a lot of patience for the maudlin. This book is gaspingly funny at times and has enough literary references to make me feel like an uneducated idiot. I love modern books that are enamoured of older ones--it gives you a new reason to read a classic (William Makepeace Thackeray's "Vanity Fair")beyond the standard, "It's a classic!" So enjoy on two levels...your gut and your mind!
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- This book was not what I was expecting based on the cover. I thought it was to be some slightly scandalous chick-lit. Instead, the author tried to take a plot, which was certainly scandalous and make it ""smart."" I got sick of the main character almost immediately, as well as the many references to philosophy. I have no idea what type of person would enjoy this book, as it was such an odd mixture. Not recommended.
Devon
Trashy chick lit masquerading as something more intellectual. Don't be fooled by the constant references to Kant - it's still your typical "girl gets into trouble, girls sulks, girl finds miraculous way out of trouble" formula of most chick lit novels.

Still, for some reason, it was relatively enjoyable. Even if I was embarrassed to read it in public (see: the cover).
Mike
This book is very funny in a way that takes you in dif ways to laugh out loud too ..very good writen ..she should write more she is a very smart and funny author.. it is a very good and smart book to go out a but or tell your library to get and read it your self after you read it ..you'll still want to go out and buy it your self.. a very good well writen book ...
Caroline
A very funny (sly, subtle humor) book with very memorable characters. More than once I laughed out loud. However, its also a compelling story with an interesting (but not necessarily unpredictable in retrospect) twist near the end. I'd recommend it!
E.d.
I couldn't finish this one at all. It was not well written. I wasn't in the least convinced by the dialogue. The author put a lot of what should have been in a 3rd person narration into the main character's mouth and it sounded stitled.
Annjulie26
Started reading the book.

I think i will enjoy this book. I do not have a specific genre when I read books. But reading an English book from a "neighbor", for some reason makes me excited.

Cary
this book is more 2.5 stars than 3. the main character is so obnoxious that she is hard to connect with and the ending seemed rushed.
Kate
Yum, yum, yum. This was for me what "The Devil Wore Prada" was for the rest of the reading public. I'll be watching for her next book.
Martha
pretty good, if you read it as a satire. otherwise this character will bug the crap out of you.
Mell
just couldn't get the joke....Judith came across pathetic to me.
Erin
It improved throughout, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Ellice
Loved parts of it and didn't like parts of it.
Kelly Pow
definately a good read
Clément
funny... witty... loved it!
Debs (aka Debbie)
Debs (aka Debbie) marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Yellowindigo
Yellowindigo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Eaycrigg
Eaycrigg marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Camille Dorris
Camille Dorris marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sandi Barnes
Sandi Barnes marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Shalini Dayanidhi
Shalini Dayanidhi marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Monica Stevens
Monica Stevens marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tongue
  • Secondhand World
  • Everything Asian: A Novel
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Your Republic Is Calling You
  • The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyŏng: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea
  • Drifting House
  • The Kite Fighters
  • The Interpreter
  • Love in Translation
  • Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1)
  • The Apprenticeship of Big Toe P
  • To Kill a Tiger: A Memoir of Korea
  • Slant
  • This Burns My Heart
  • Beijing Doll
  • Shame in the Blood
  • A Person of Interest
The Birth of Korean Cool: How One Nation is Conquering the World Through Pop Culture Katerfrühstück In New York: Roman